The Blue Note Thread

General thoughts are we will not see much in TP represses this summer with work starting on Blue Train. I would be happy with one or two more (Chet, Nigeria, Kicker)
I think you will. The TP series takes a break between June and October, so time for represses. Blue Train is not gonna be half a million copies...

Beyond what’s happening with pressing plants, paper mills and printers are backed up right now due to supply chain issues and labor disputes, so the delays are likely out of Blue Note’s (or Stoughton’s) hands.
All true, but as I have said before, the biggest obstacle now is nickel, which is essential in plating. Most of Europe's supply came from Russia. Making it even more likely that we will see more represses over the next months.

Going to try and make it it prices aren’t crazy
about those prices....

Pretty pricey for a 2 day festival but I guess to be expected with a festival in St. Helena. That being said I like this lineup a hell of a lot better than Outside Lands!

I'm not a BN completionist by any means, but I feel like I have fallen behind a bit on the Classics and Tone Poets. The last TP I picked up was Rough and Tumble, and the last Classics were Home Cookin' and Love Bug. I plan to grab Sonny Red next time I visit my local, but I'm wondering if there are any other "must haves" from the last 3-6 months that folks think I should pick up.

I'm not a BN completionist by any means, but I feel like I have fallen behind a bit on the Classics and Tone Poets. The last TP I picked up was Rough and Tumble, and the last Classics were Home Cookin' and Love Bug. I plan to grab Sonny Red next time I visit my local, but I'm wondering if there are any other "must haves" from the last 3-6 months that folks think I should pick up.
Do you have Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton – Katanga!? It's pretty fantastic.

Out of the recent run: I’d grab For Django - Joe Pass, Sonny Red, and Jackie McLean - Destination Out

Edit: and definitely Herbie Nichols

I'm with @Ghost. The Joe Pass is an amazing album and is a must-have IMO. I need to pick up Sonny Red myself. That Herbie Nichols is excellent. I'm a little behind myself on the other releases--think I got a little burned out on buying most of the ones they released. Plus there have been tons of other releases like the Prestige series that have been burning a hole in my wallet.

@tvham @Ghost @MikeH pretty much hit on the recents: Katanga, Joe Pass, Herbie Nichols, Sonny Red, and nab that Chick Corea repress out now before it's gone if you don't have it. It's in stock at Plaidroom again and they have some blem copies for $29.

Last edited:
Pleased to hear you got a good copy. Mine was okay after a clean or two, which is good news as I've been after a decent pressing of this for ages...!
Revisiting an old topic. Realized this week that I had the BN 75 reissue of “Idle Moments” versus the Classic reissue.

Is it worth ditching the 75 for the Classic? I did hear some pressing issues with the 75 but I don’t want to move sideways in a swap to Classic.

Revisiting an old topic. Realized this week that I had the BN 75 reissue of “Idle Moments” versus the Classic reissue.

Is it worth ditching the 75 for the Classic? I did hear some pressing issues with the 75 but I don’t want to move sideways in a swap to Classic.
I don't have the BN75 to compare but of all the albums that I've upgraded to the Classics have been just that, a huge upgrade.

Agree with @tvham that the Classic will be a huge improvement.

My own experience with the BN 75 reissues was that they sounded fine if you got a well-pressed copy, but they are not at all in the same league as the Music Matters, Tone Poet, BN 80, and Classic series.
Got the Classic series version; it is an upgrade. The pressing is quieter and the mastering is better, too. The BN 75 goes into the "sell" pile.

The only issue is that the Classic had a bit of a warp that the BN75 did not, but it did not audibly impact playback.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Z.
Back