The Blue Note Thread

Curtis was a west coast studio musician (best known for playing with Gerald Wilson, Lou Rawls, The Doors, Carole King, and Motown West Coast Sessions etc.), the session was done in Hollywood, CA for Pacific Jazz in 63'. Here is some more info below. I'm not sure when Blue Note acquired the PJ catalog.

You can see him take the solo on Touch Me here on The Doors 1968 television appearance

Curtis was a west coast studio musician (best know for playing with Gerald Wilson, Lou Rawls, The Doors, Carole King, etc.), the session was done in Hollywood, CA for Pacific Jazz. Here is some more info below. I'm not sure when Blue Note acquired the PJ catalog.

Such a great album man, absolutely amazing that Blue Note dug this up to share with us all.

Curtis was a west coast studio musician (best know for playing with Gerald Wilson, Lou Rawls, The Doors, Carole King, etc.), the session was done in Hollywood, CA for Pacific Jazz. Here is some more info below. I'm not sure when Blue Note acquired the PJ catalog.

You can see him take the solo on Touch Me here on The Doors 1968 television appearance

Liberty Records bought both Pacific Jazz (in 1965) and Blue Note (in 1966). After that, PJ continued operation until 1970 before being folded into Liberty. After that, Pacific Jazz has only existed as a reissue imprint under different parent labels.

Looking forward to the next batch of TPS we got:

• Sonny Clark - My Conception
• McCoy Tyner - Expansions
• Lee Konitz & Gerry Mulligan - Lee Konitz Plays with the Jerry Mulligan Quartet
• Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye

Anyone have favorites out of this bunch?

I have heard the Joe Pass record due in Sept is a good one, nothing really MUST Have for me until the new year tbh. But some good Blue Note Classic and lots of AS Ume releases coming.

Still no peeps about repressings on some of the earlier popular BN's (Chet Baker, Chick, Sidewinder, Real McCoy, Song For My Father, etc.). Anyone got any info on that ?

Last edited:
I have heard the Joe Pass record due in Sept is a good one, nothing really MUST Have for me until the new year tbh. But some good Blue Note Classic and lots of AS Ume releases coming.

Still no peeps about repressings on some of the earlier popular BN's (Chet Baker, Chick, Sidewinder, Real McCoy, Song For My Father, etc.). Anyone got any info on that ?
Think Sidewinder is available on the BN store rn, it was a few days ago

I picked up Sidewinder and Real McCoy at my local a couple of weeks ago. I read somewhere that all the early BN Classics that needed a repressing got one.

I am just waiting to hear if they are going to do a clean repress of Soul Station. That one seemed to be a mess with scuffs, scratches and non-fills on a huge number of copies

• Lee Konitz & Gerry Mulligan - Lee Konitz Plays with the Jerry Mulligan Quartet

The All Seeing Eye is one of my favorite records ever. I think it's amazing and often overlooked in his catalog (i.e. Not mentioned along with the other giants). It's the most excited I've been about a record in a while.

Expansions for sure, and the Shorter.

My local shop has a copy of Roots and Herbs. Sealed. It's full retail price at $35, but they ship for free. This is my favorite record store in KC, excellent curated jazz shop.

Edit: they just started their website a month or so ago, so it's a work in progress and doesn't have much inventory currently listed.

Thanks again for the heads up on this, and I'm always happy to support local record stores (even if they're not mine). It arrived today and is hot fire.

Bird in Flight and One Flight Up arrived last week, and Katanga and The Witch Doctor should be here tomorrow. All these thick gatefolds are absolutely destroying my storage space. 😓

My local shop has a copy of Roots and Herbs. Sealed. It's full retail price at $35, but they ship for free. This is my favorite record store in KC, excellent curated jazz shop.

Edit: they just started their website a month or so ago, so it's a work in progress and doesn't have much inventory currently listed.

Available here too: Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "Roots & Herbs" [All Analog 180g Reissue Vinyl][Blue Note Tone Poet Series]

My Tone Poet copy of the Witch Doctor from Blakey et al. showed up today. Per usual, flat and flawless record, and that satisfying crackling noise from the spine when you crack open that gatefold. Am I the only one who enjoys the sound of the jacket when first opening it? Ha ha. It's the sound of quality.
From Target? Haha. I got mine today too. Haven't cracked it open yet. :D Have to admit though that as a person who has collected books, that's a sound I've come to associate with damaging a spine, so it always takes me a bit by surprise with the gatefolds.

From Target? Haha. I got mine today too. Haven't cracked it open yet. :D Have to admit though that as a person who has collected books, that's a sound I've come to associate with damaging a spine, so it always takes me a bit by surprise with the gatefolds.
Yeah, from Target. Isn't that where everyone buys their Tone Poets these days? Ha ha. Album sounds great. Side 2 smokes.

I got the uDiscover VIP code and went a little nuts on picking up or pre-ordering a bunch Blue Note I didn't have yet. Specifically:
  • Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair
  • Freddie Hubbard - Hub Tones
  • Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions
  • Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack
  • Joe Henderson - In 'n' Out
  • Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World, Vol 1 & 2
  • Larry Young - Into Somethin'
  • Lee Morgan - The Rumproller
And then for good measure I ordered Soul Station, Cool Struttin' and Go! even though I already had the Blue Note 75 versions since the Classics quality has been so damn good. I wish I'd grabbed The Sidewinder and Real McCoy when they were available. :(

It's a deep rabbit hole but man is it worth it.

I got the uDiscover VIP code and went a little nuts on picking up or pre-ordering a bunch Blue Note I didn't have yet. Specifically:
  • Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair
  • Freddie Hubbard - Hub Tones
  • Herbie Hancock - Inventions & Dimensions
  • Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack
  • Joe Henderson - In 'n' Out
  • Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World, Vol 1 & 2
  • Larry Young - Into Somethin'
  • Lee Morgan - The Rumproller
And then for good measure I ordered Soul Station, Cool Struttin' and Go! even though I already had the Blue Note 75 versions since the Classics quality has been so damn good. I wish I'd grabbed The Sidewinder and Real McCoy when they were available. :(

It's a deep rabbit hole but man is it worth it.
They are so consistently great that it bends you appreciation of music in terms of sound, quality, physical presentation.... and then you start dipping into the adjacent Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure, MPS -- they give and give and give.

Back