The Blue Note Thread

How does everyone feel about the Classics series pressing for McCoy Tyner’s The Real McCoy. Reviews on Discogs and on the Hoffman forum are mixed, with reviewers feeling that the pressing sounds quite warm and muddy.

This is a Kevin Gray pressing. Do you guys think this recent reissue of The Real McCoy sounds outstanding?

How does everyone feel about the Classics series pressing for McCoy Tyner’s The Real McCoy. Reviews on Discogs and on the Hoffman forum are mixed, with reviewers feeling that the pressing sounds quite warm and muddy.

This is a Kevin Gray pressing. Do you guys think this recent reissue of The Real McCoy sounds outstanding?
I liked it, it sounded like the BN 80s did to me. I will say Sidewinder jumped a little more out at me at first listen in terms of sound, but I don't know if that says more about Sidewinder or The Real McCoy. For the price, I am definitely pleased.

No one here is claiming to be BFFs with the involved parties, so that's a little different.

Revisiting the Blue Note Anthology tonight, the point where I delved head first into this. Have to say these are some really well done records. Quite enjoyable.
It's so good. That Ambrose album gets tons of spins from me and I'm really glad that VMP introduced me to him.

Yes.

Also, while I don't know what drove Rambach, Harley, Gray, Cuscuna etc to set up MMJ or to make the eventual changes. I am confident that:

1. They produced quality work during a long period where it wasn't as sexy
2. The work they did helped make possible a broader revival
3. They didn't exactly have some big pay out -- be it licensing, or Blue Note taking it internal, or whatever -- MMJ wasn't some giant IPO where they all got rich. My guess is that some of them had the chance to become employees (or contactors) and continue doing something they loved. Yay....hourly!

I don't love the what happens with the MMJ approach and stopped buying the subscriptions -- and hey I did 3 years -- and I was really bummed when the business model changed. I'm guessing though that it changed because it didn't work for them anymore and they don't own the content.

I've seen a lot of shops, restaurants go out of business this past year. Some of those were passion projects that while they were viable made good sense and money. Then things shifted. Some ended with grace and some ended hard.

I don't love what MMJ did with their approach, but I am very grateful that the stakeholders helped keep alive something that is special to me during stretches where it wasn't so cool and profitable.
What drove them initially was that Rambach had made his money as a seller of Blue Note originals, mainly to a very well heeled clientele that could afford $1500 for a first press of Cool Struttin, and wanted to produce the ultimate tribute to RVG, Lion and Wolff. It was entirely altruistic. Cuscuna was just the paid source of the pictures, and Gray was the hired hand contracted for mastering. Initially, they used Hoffman as well, simply because as a new venture, they needed his name to attract his syncophants. They also chose 45 rpm for the same reason - a marketing gimmick to differentiate themselves from the Classic mono series at 33. Fairly quickly Hoffman became more a deteriment than an asset, so he was gone.
Then it all changed. They were successful, and selling well through Elusive Disc as the distributor - but weren't making much money. Rambach noticed that what he had made his money doing - flipping records for huge sums - was happening to Music Matters, and he wanted in on the action. With the 45 series ending, he had an opening to go the direct route.
By that point, Harley wasn't involved much. Although Harley had huge impact on the sonics of MM, particularly after they got rid of Hoffman, he wasn't involved much past the 45 series. Rambach wanted to have his initials in the deadwax. He wanted to control the market so he could implement flexible pricing, i.e. charge what he could, when he could. He played FOMO with the SRX by making dubious claims, which was his way of squeezing the last dollars out of his licenses while he could.

They did have a significant impact. First, they forced others - particularly AP - to up their game. I agree that without MMJ, Tone Poets would never have popped into Don Was' head. Without MMJ, BN80 probably would have been shitty digital cuts, and the new Classic series would not have happened.

I don’t think it’s a particularly fantastic sounding Blue Note in the first place. I think the Classics is fine though. Beats my Liberty non-RVG pressing. Can’t imagine a RVG pressing sounds much better than either of those two pressings.

Strong words 😂
I had a disastrous experience with every BN75 pressing I had! I purchased around 13-14 of them and all were in disgusting condition. Heavily scratched and warped - all time worst for QC! I couldn’t even return them at the time too so they just all went in the bin! In my option BN75 = trash

Last edited:
I liked it, it sounded like the BN 80s did to me. I will say Sidewinder jumped a little more out at me at first listen in terms of sound, but I don't know if that says more about Sidewinder or The Real McCoy. For the price, I am definitely pleased.
That’s good to know! The sound quality sounds like it would be quite great on The Real McCoy then!
I don’t think it’s a particularly fantastic sounding Blue Note in the first place. I think the Classics is fine though. Beats my Liberty non-RVG pressing. Can’t imagine a RVG pressing sounds much better than either of those two pressings.
That makes a lot of sense if the recording wasn’t amazing in the first place! I think I’ll definitely get The Real McCoy then! I think I want to purchase every release from the Blue Note Classics series!

I’m going to kind of stop purchasing every Tone Poet release in favour of purchasing every Classics release!

i thought it sounded fantastic

i thought it sounded fantastic
That’s so good to know! And I know you really enjoy picking up high quality pressings a lot so it’s great to hear another forumer echo that they think this Blue Note Classics series pressing sounds great! 🙌😍

That’s a shame, I didn’t buy a lot but I got a few EU pressings and they were alright, some even BG in the wax!I know s lot of people got shitty pressings mainly US Rainbo I think.

This is a quite interesting review of the new Classics, comparing them to the MM SRX titles

I’ve strongly been considering selling my Speak No Evil SRX and picking up the Classics one but was waiting for some reviews. But considering the price I could sell for vs how cheap the classics is, I might end up going for it.

I’ve strongly been considering selling my Speak No Evil SRX and picking up the Classics one but was waiting for some reviews. But considering the price I could sell for vs how cheap the classics is, I might end up going for it.

If you sell your SRX you can purchase the firsts ten releases of the BN Classics serie :p

You can always compare and then sell. But maybe have your fiancee put them on to remove any bias of expense. Would love to hear your comparison.

I never picked that one up before the price hikes, so I will most likely be ordering the Classics.

You can always compare and then sell. But maybe have your fiancee put them on to remove any bias of expense. Would love to hear your comparison.

I never picked that one up before the price hikes, so I will most likely be ordering the Classics.
Not a bad idea...I might do that! Considering the resale of the SRX is more than 10x the price of the classics pressing...it might make the decision easy if it’s even close.

Back