The Blue Note Thread

I didn't realize there was a European coloured pressing. Can you link as to where you see it for 20€?

I bought the green french pressing of street lady and it sounds great!

There are copies for sale in France on gibert.com EAN code is 3700477832001 if you want to search in a German shop. There are other records in this serie for sale, you can have a look here.

If any UK folks are looking for some Blue Notes, there’s a guy on reddit vinyl collectors selling a few good titles:

He’s open to offers it seems. I think shipping costs have scared away any US customers.

I actually swooped in and messaged him when he first put the status on one of the Facebook groups. His prices are insane though, in most cases they are 2-3 times more than the median selling price on discogs, and almost all of them are higher than the highest sold price.

I actually swooped in and messaged him when he first put the status on one of the Facebook groups. His prices are insane though, in most cases they are 2-3 times more than the median selling price on discogs, and almost all of them are higher than the highest sold price.
Ah—that’s what I figured. I didn’t really look into the pricing of each pressing. One of these days I will finally land a copy of Speak No Evil...but he was too expensive especially with shipping on that one...he told me he would probably toss them up on eBay so will be interesting to see what he prices them at. I saw him on Reddit first on the jazz vinyl sub without prices listed. Then didn’t put two and two together and saw someone post on Facebook so messaged and I noticed later that the prices had gone down. So maybe he’s open to fair prices...who knows hah. Somebody bought Page One though.

Ah—that’s what I figured. I didn’t really look into the pricing of each pressing. One of these days I will finally land a copy of Speak No Evil...but he was too expensive especially with shipping on that one...he told me he would probably toss them up on eBay so will be interesting to see what he prices them at. I saw him on Reddit first on the jazz vinyl sub without prices listed. Then didn’t put two and two together and saw someone post on Facebook so messaged and I noticed later that the prices had gone down. So maybe he’s open to fair prices...who knows hah. Somebody bought Page One though.
Yeah he posted on facebook yesterday and I happen to check to check 2 mins after so I got in there quick, thinking I was going to nab them. The prices are crazy high though, even if I was to offer half on some of them it would really be more than their median, way too pricy for me.

To be honest though, Blue Note records rarely pop up for sale on these kind of sites (other than ebay) and as such they tend to be priced at the high end. One of the coolest shops in London (in terms of rarity) is 'IF Music'.....but the prices are way higher than anywhere else.

Anyone still not receive a shipping notification from an order during the International Jazz Day sale? None of what I ordered was a pre-order, and I cannot get an answer from BN about why it’s being held up. Ordered May 2. Just wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat, heavily thinking of just refunding and ordering elsewhere.

Anyone still not receive a shipping notification from an order during the International Jazz Day sale? None of what I ordered was a pre-order, and I cannot get an answer from BN about why it’s being held up. Ordered May 2. Just wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat, heavily thinking of just refunding and ordering elsewhere.
I don't have mine either. I actually cancelled part of it and they responded and refunded, but nothing else has shipped.

I don't have mine either. I actually cancelled part of it and they responded and refunded, but nothing else has shipped.
I reached out the first time and got a somewhat automated response minutes later, that it was because part of my order wasn't ready but it would ship by May 22. I've since reached trying to pinpoint exactly what was held up, as all were older releases in stock, but no response. Think I'm just going to cancel and order elsewhere if I don't hear from them today.

Just came across this book today and thought I’d share it! View attachment 49319View attachment 49320
The whole book isn’t about jazz more so about the “cool cultures” of midcentury America and what it was like to partake in them, but it’s got an ample section on Bebop and believe there’s an interview with Jackie McLean in there. Also some really beautiful pictures! Excited to dive in once I finish with Joan Didion and Dune hahaha. Has anyone read this?

The cover photo of this book (happens to be the cover off A Fickle Sonance) is a cropped photo of the cover of Jackie McLean's book by Derek Ansell.

ECxDU48WwAIdq1s.jpg

The cover photo of this book (happens to be the cover off A Fickle Sonance) is a cropped photo of the cover of Jackie McLean's book by Derek Ansell.

ECxDU48WwAIdq1s.jpg
I have this book in my amazon basket. Just waiting to finish a few others before I pick it up, looks good. Looks like you have a decent amount there on your shelf, any favourites?

I have this book in my amazon basket. Just waiting to finish a few others before I pick it up, looks good. Looks like you have a decent amount there on your shelf, any favourites?

Some favs.

Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original by Robin D.G. Kelley

Kansas City Lightning: The Rise and Times of Charlie Parker by Stanley Crouch

The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records by Ashley Kahn

Sophisticated Giant: The Life and Legacy of Dexter Gordon by Maxine Gordon

Footprints: The Life and Work of Wayne Shorter by Michelle Mercer

TTL’s exclusive resale values are so weird. Places and Spaces and the Mild High/King Gizzard exclusives were in stock for months and months but resale is now over $60 for both. If I see any TTL exclusive albums now that I remotely want, I’ll more often than not buy them because if I decide to sell later I know I’ll at least get my money back. The Khruangbin exclusive also has some crazy resale value now.
Man, you know how long MM stuff was in stock for the original price? Nobody wants it til it's gone.

Man, you know how long MM stuff was in stock for the original price? Nobody wants it til it's gone.
It’s funny because when I first became aware of MM, I thought to myself: “$35?! For a single record?!” I didn’t have a disposable income at the time and think I was still in college. I was getting early and first pressings of Impulse and Prestige titles for under $10. I wasn’t ever spending more that $15 on one record. I wish I had more of an income at the time to buy up more of the original MM pressings considering what they go for now. I’d have a nice little nest egg haha.

Some favs.

Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original by Robin D.G. Kelley

Kansas City Lightning: The Rise and Times of Charlie Parker by Stanley Crouch

The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records by Ashley Kahn

Sophisticated Giant: The Life and Legacy of Dexter Gordon by Maxine Gordon

Footprints: The Life and Work of Wayne Shorter by Michelle Mercer
Fantastic, thanks for this!! I haven't read the Wayne Shorter or Charlie Parker (I have 'Bird Lives!: The High Life and Hard Times of Charlie Parker - Ross Russell' but haven't read that yet) so those will go straight on my list! Thanks again

Not familiar with the Joe Pass or Sonny Clark titles but the Dexter Gordon and Andrew Hill titles are excellent. Been hoping they would do Passing Ships soon.
I'm a huge Joe Pass fan and absolutely love that album. I grabbed an OG copy for pretty cheap at a record fair last year and have spun it frequently.

4 new TPs announced for 2021:

• Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
  • Andrew Hill - Passing Ships
  • Joe Pass - Django
  • Sonny Clark - My Conception
Man, that Andrew Hill record is fantastic. Probably my favorite of his, or at least near the top. Back when I first found about it I was bummed to know that it had never been issued on vinyl, so this is great news!

I’ve never checked any of his stuff but excited to get it. It sounds fantastic. Any other recommendations from him?
Guitar Interludes is a really cool album but a bit tricky to find. I only just recently found a copy for a good price and it was a gamble since it was listed as VG but ended up being VG+ after a cleaning. Django is probably my favorite of his outside of that. I really dig most of his stuff on Pablo as well if you like some solo guitar records. Any of the Virtuoso albums are solid and can almost always be found for under $10.

As a heads up, MM is now saying they might just drop the new SRX in store without any sort of announcement to avoid the site crashing...if anybody sees Speak No Evil go up, PLEASE let me know. Despite my hatred of MM's policies, this is one album I have been trying to find a good copy of for forever now and it has always eluded me...

Back