The Blue Note Thread

What’s everyone’s favorite BN80’s so far? Just streamed this Elvin Jones record for the first time and I’m hooked. This is also the first Elvin Jones led record I’ve ever listened to. Loving it and that album cover is incredible!!

What’s everyone’s favorite BN80’s so far? Just streamed this Elvin Jones record for the first time and I’m hooked. This is also the first Elvin Jones led record I’ve ever listened to. Loving it and that album cover is incredible!!

Jutta Hipp - Jutta Hipp/Zoot Sims
Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin
Dexter Gordon - A Swingin' Affair
Art Blakey - Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World, Vol. 2
Pete LaRoca - Basra

(I don't have many more BN80 titles than these)

I haven't bought many , but definitely get Basra it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Jutta Hipp
Indestructible
Grant Green - Alive!
Ethiopian Knights
Una Mas
Basra

Yeah that Elvin Jones record is killer. Sounds even better on vinyl, Kevin Gray really takes these recordings to another level of listening.
My favorites I would say are:

Grant's First Stand
Indestructible
Una Mas
Basra
Ethiopian Knights

I find myself throwing on Dexter Gordon's Doin' Allright a ton as well, same with Joe H's In'N Out. Such a great series, I listen to them all a lot. You really can't go wrong.

Basically all 10 I've got so far are really great, but my favourites are Jutta Hipp, Pete La Roca and Art Taylor.

I ordered Johnny Griffin yesterday, still 6 on my wantlist, and I can't wait for the next ones to be released...

Agree they are all great. I must give, Dexter Gordon Doin' Alright, another lister, really liked it but haven't listened to it this year.

Just came across this book today and thought I’d share it! 5A217C61-BDF7-4433-B764-D0ED5248654F.jpeg41F953A3-0759-4A6C-82A4-2489EBE883FA.jpeg
The whole book isn’t about jazz more so about the “cool cultures” of midcentury America and what it was like to partake in them, but it’s got an ample section on Bebop and believe there’s an interview with Jackie McLean in there. Also some really beautiful pictures! Excited to dive in once I finish with Joan Didion and Dune hahaha. Has anyone read this?

Just came across this book today and thought I’d share it! View attachment 49319View attachment 49320
The whole book isn’t about jazz more so about the “cool cultures” of midcentury America and what it was like to partake in them, but it’s got an ample section on Bebop and believe there’s an interview with Jackie McLean in there. Also some really beautiful pictures! Excited to dive in once I finish with Joan Didion and Dune hahaha. Has anyone read this?

The sock and patina on the wood floor are a nice touch.

It would be interesting to look back at the "cool cultures" and see how different and similar are to today's culture. I mean "hipster" was coined during this time.

I this DonaldByrd's Places & Spaces TTL worth it? How does it sound and how is the sleeve?

I this DonaldByrd's Places & Spaces TTL worth it? How does it sound and how is the sleeve?
It’s pressed at GZ if that helps Sway you one way or another...I don’t own it since I have an earlier pressing. People seem to like the sound though. Not sure the details but people speculate that it’s a DMM from a digital master.

If any UK folks are looking for some Blue Notes, there’s a guy on reddit vinyl collectors selling a few good titles:

He’s open to offers it seems. I think shipping costs have scared away any US customers.

It’s pressed at GZ if that helps Sway you one way or another...I don’t own it since I have an earlier pressing. People seem to like the sound though. Not sure the details but people speculate that it’s a DMM from a digital master.

Yup, I've been reading a few comments on Discogs and nobody is really sure of the source. What I see is how expensive the TTL exlcusive is when the same version, but with a different OBI, is selling for 20€ in Europe under the In Blue Vinyl Collection flag. IIRC @Crabbers did a comparison OG/reissue and was happy with both.

Yup, I've been reading a few comments on Discogs and nobody is really sure of the source. What I see is how expensive the TTL exlcusive is when the same version, but with a different OBI, is selling for 20€ in Europe under the In Blue Vinyl Collection flag. IIRC @Crabbers did a comparison OG/reissue and was happy with both.
TTL’s exclusive resale values are so weird. Places and Spaces and the Mild High/King Gizzard exclusives were in stock for months and months but resale is now over $60 for both. If I see any TTL exclusive albums now that I remotely want, I’ll more often than not buy them because if I decide to sell later I know I’ll at least get my money back. The Khruangbin exclusive also has some crazy resale value now.

I didn't realize there was a European coloured pressing. Can you link as to where you see it for 20€?

I bought the green french pressing of street lady and it sounds great!

Back