The Blue Note Thread

I bet you Tone Poet will in 2021 or 2022. At least I’m hoping, checked out that album after reading similar comments looking up Grant Green albums and it is pretty stellar.

EDIT - Also, On the topic of Grant Green, did anyone pick up the Sunday Mornin’ repress by Colemine recently? And if so, would you please share some comments on the quality?

I grabbed Sunday Mornin' and it sounds just like a Tone Poet. No gatefold, but a nice tip-on jacket.

Tough question, as Idle Moments, Nigeria and Green Street are all in my top 5 Grant Green albums 😅

Could you go Nigeria and Green Street? That would seem like the best combo to me. If you get a good price on both, you should be able to get them for $75.
How is Matador not in this list? (Not helping, I know)

I discussed this before but as far as OG blue train's go. What is sort of the most affordable? I could see myself spending 150-200 for an early pressing.

Again, I am no Blue Note know it all, so please don't flame me. Getting a Blue Train early(ish) pressing is a dream

I discussed this before but as far as OG blue train's go. What is sort of the most affordable? I could see myself spending 150-200 for an early pressing.

Again, I am no Blue Note know it all, so please don't flame me. Getting a Blue Train early(ish) pressing is a dream
It depends on what condition you are after. Looking on discogs at the moment it jumps drastically from $200.00 for a VG with no cover to $750.00 for a VG+ with VG+ cover. IMO both of those figures are an outrageous amount to be spending on a single record but had the 1st one I mentioned had a jacket then I guess it would of been more acceptable. Your 150-200 estimate would certainly allow you to get an early copy, a 1960 pressing looks to be around the $130 mark.

I have to admit that I completely lucked out with mine, bought it for less than a lot of reissues would of cost me and the guy was such a gentleman, he sold it but wasn't sure of the pressing and offered a full refund if it was not an early press. Even after I let him know it was actually a first press he told me he was happy with the price he sold it for and didn't want any more money from me.

Anyway, my advice would be to trawl ebay and the like and look for auction copies which dont specify 'first pressing' or the date '1957' in the title. Just examine the photos for the tell-tale signs (47 West address, no R on label or Inc on jacket, colour on jacket, etc). Might take a while, but you might get lucky.

It depends on what condition you are after. Looking on discogs at the moment it jumps drastically from $200.00 for a VG with no cover to $750.00 for a VG+ with VG+ cover. IMO both of those figures are an outrageous amount to be spending on a single record but had the 1st one I mentioned had a jacket then I guess it would of been more acceptable. Your 150-200 estimate would certainly allow you to get an early copy, a 1960 pressing looks to be around the $130 mark.

I have to admit that I completely lucked out with mine, bought it for less than a lot of reissues would of cost me and the guy was such a gentleman, he sold it but wasn't sure of the pressing and offered a full refund if it was not an early press. Even after I let him know it was actually a first press he told me he was happy with the price he sold it for and didn't want any more money from me.

Anyway, my advice would be to trawl ebay and the like and look for auction copies which dont specify 'first pressing' or the date '1957' in the title. Just examine the photos for the tell-tale signs (47 West address, no R on label or Inc on jacket, colour on jacket, etc). Might take a while, but you might get lucky.
thanks for this

I will keep looking. I mean I am totally fine and lucky to have my Japanese 100% pure copy and the MMJ one that is coming in so this is certainly more a dream, but one can dream!

I bet you Tone Poet will in 2021 or 2022. At least I’m hoping, checked out that album after reading similar comments looking up Grant Green albums and it is pretty stellar.

EDIT - Also, On the topic of Grant Green, did anyone pick up the Sunday Mornin’ repress by Colemine recently? And if so, would you please share some comments on the quality?
Can confirm that Sunday Morning sounds really good! I’d mistake it for a Tone Poet quality-wise as @seeirwin mentioned. Jacket isn’t as nice but the music itself is great.

Hahah Matador is my number 1 favorite Grant Green Album! But seeing that he didn't mention it, I didn't either.

Why does Matador stand out for you?

For me Feeling the Spirit stands out for a lot of reasons.

1. The songs. The melodies of the spirituals are really accessible.
2. The interplay between Herbie and Grant is amazing. It's more than the basic comping. There is that, but he adds a lot of melodic pieces and really contributes to the more churchy aspects of the music.
3. Billy Higgins: his drumming is just so joyful on the opening track. From there it just gets better. The grooves he uses are original and really makes use of the whole kit.
4. Grant's solos: I really hear the trademark aspect of his playing being put to good use. Repetition and building intensity.

Why does Matador stand out for you?

For me Feeling the Spirit stands out for a lot of reasons.

1. The songs. The melodies of the spirituals are really accessible.
2. The interplay between Herbie and Grant is amazing. It's more than the basic comping. There is that, but he adds a lot of melodic pieces and really contributes to the more churchy aspects of the music.
3. Billy Higgins: his drumming is just so joyful on the opening track. From there it just gets better. The grooves he uses are original and really makes use of the whole kit.
4. Grant's solos: I really hear the trademark aspect of his playing being put to good use. Repetition and building intensity.

I just put on Feelin' the Spirit. Definitely an incredible Grant Green record. Somehow never listened to it before, despite Grant being my favorite jazz musician. This could definitely be a Tone Poet in the next several years.

I grabbed Sunday Mornin' and it sounds just like a Tone Poet. No gatefold, but a nice tip-on jacket.

I know I've asked you this before and since were on the topic of Grant. Whats that chord and technique he uses all the time? Example: Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho just before and after the 6 minute mark. I love that.

Yep, excellent! $30 from Plaid Room and $70 on Discogs. Your call. :)

- Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder
- Lacquers cut by Kevin Gray from the original analog tapes
- Plated and pressed at RTI
- 180g pressing, housed in a Stoughton "old-style" tip-on jacket, rice paper inner sleeve
- Limited edition of 1000 copies on blue vinyl, exclusive to Plaid Room Records

Yep, excellent! $30 from Plaid Room and $70 on Discogs. Your call. :)

- Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder
- Lacquers cut by Kevin Gray from the original analog tapes
- Plated and pressed at RTI
- 180g pressing, housed in a Stoughton "old-style" tip-on jacket, rice paper inner sleeve
- Limited edition of 1000 copies on blue vinyl, exclusive to Plaid Room Records
Plaid Room is the best. I'm pretty surprised this one didn't sell out yet although maybe it wasn't heavily advertised...toss in one of the upcoming TP records and you'll get free shipping too.

I know I've asked you this before and since were on the topic of Grant. Whats that chord and technique he uses all the time? Example: Joshua Fit De Battle Of Jericho just before and after the 6 minute mark. I love that.
If we are talking about the same part, he's doing something Chuck Berry used to do all of the time: playing a note on the G string (in this case, it's an A on the 14th fret of the G string) and then playing the same note right after on the B string (10th fret). That allows the player to slide up to the note on the G string, play it, and then play the same pitch on the next string down to get that characteristic attack in repeating the notes.

If we are talking about the same part, he's doing something Chuck Berry used to do all of the time: playing a note on the G string (in this case, it's an A on the 14th fret of the G string) and then playing the same note right after on the B string (10th fret). That allows the player to slide up to the note on the G string, play it, and then play the same pitch on the next string down to get that characteristic attack in repeating the notes.

From what you describe that doesn't sound like it's it. It's more of a chord that sounds like it has a lot of open strings (resonate). He repeats it a lot. over the span of lat 5 minutes to mid 6 minutes. Definitely sounds more Dom 7th than a simple minor triad.

From what you describe that doesn't sound like it's it. It's more of a chord that sounds like it has a lot of open strings (resonate). He repeats it a lot. over the span of lat 5 minutes to mid 6 minutes. Definitely sounds more Dom 7th than a simple minor triad.
We must be talking about different parts. I'm talking about just a single note being repeated. Can you post a link with a specific timestamp?

I think you are talking about this part that begins here and is repeated multiple times up until about the 6:30 mark:

I don't know if Chris is right on where it's played (I can't get to my guitar right now), but he's right that it's that thing where you quickly play notes on two strings like he said. Hendrix does a similar thing in Bold as Love, too.

I think you are talking about this part that begins here and is repeated multiple times up until about the 6:30 mark:

I don't know if Chris is right on where it's played (I can't get to my guitar right now), but he's right that it's that thing where you quickly play notes on two strings like he said. Hendrix does a similar thing in Bold as Love, too.

Still miking this Grant Green topic. For me, this is Grant's signature lick. He does it ALL the time. And it's bad ass. Start at 330 to hear it, or enjoy the whole song as it's one of his best.

on the itunes version it happens right at 5:51, :54, and :58. It sounds like a chord that has more than two notes. maybe there is a slide up for 2 or three frets. But he plays it tremolo but chordal, rather than one note.

Back