The Blue Note Thread

I had an SRX Free for All along with a mono OG Free for All which I think I got for around the current SRX prices or slightly less. I ended up selling the SRX Free for All because my OG mono edged it out in sound and it is NM basically. My copy of Moanin is a bit noisy in spots but sounds amazing so I'm interested to see how this will fair next to that. I found a NM early Liberty copy of Blue Train just a month or two ago and I doubt an SRX would sound better than this does.
Is your Liberty Blue Train mono or stereo? MMJ only released it in mono because I think that tape is one generation closer to the master perhaps? I prefer it in mono as well but the stereo is great too. I have a west coast label stereo Liberty, second press 50’s mono and MMJ. I think I’m done buying this title unless the Analogue Productions reissue pops up again.

Is your Liberty Blue Train mono or stereo? MMJ only released it in mono because I think that tape is one generation closer to the master perhaps? I prefer it in mono as well but the stereo is great too. I have a west coast label stereo Liberty, second press 50’s mono and MMJ. I think I’m done buying this title unless the Analogue Productions reissue pops up again.
Stereo. Part of me wants to keep the SRX sealed to sell it, but a much larger part wants to open it and compare.

Stereo. Part of me wants to keep the SRX sealed to sell it, but a much larger part wants to open it and compare.
For what it’s worth, my Music Matters is the best I’ve ever heard the album. Better than the early mono even. I don’t think it will ever sound better, but then again I love the detailed MMJ sound.

As a buyer I prefer that someone has opened and confirmed there's not a defect/warp. This is better than sellers who won't accept returns on sealed records. Then you're stuck.

Additionally, they can ship with the record outside the jacket to prevent seam splits.

Im considering upgrading my King press of Maiden Voyage.
I’m definitely in for Search For The New Land and Soul Station.
Months ago I went to Discogs to pay around $90 for a MM 33&1/3 of Soul Station that I had been eyeing for weeks.
Unfortunately, it was gone.
So this will be about $10 cheaper.
And Search For The New Land is one of my favorite Morgan albums.

Speak No Evil is a no brainer for me.
Although I have the MM33&1/3.
I swear there’s a little, faint noise during “Infant Eyes.”
Some times I hear it, other times I don’t.
So, SRX is a yes.

Geez, the things this hobby does to you. 😂
I'll be watching the PIF thread for your crummy old MM Speak No Evil. :ROFLMAO:

I'll be watching the PIF thread for your crummy old MM Speak No Evil. :ROFLMAO:
Not sure what I’ll do; not sure if I should give it to a family member or just list it below asking price so it sells quick.
$50 would sell fast right?

EDIT - None of my family members listen to jazz, so I don’t think they’d even understand the work of art that would be handed down to them.

As a buyer I prefer that someone has opened and confirmed there's not a defect/warp. This is better than sellers who won't accept returns on sealed records. Then you're stuck.

Additionally, they can ship with the record outside the jacket to prevent seam splits.
I always ask if they want me to do this in the rare instance I sell something that is sealed. I don't think I've ever sold a sealed record though.

Here’s an interesting listing on EBay. MF Doom’s Operation Doomsday, a De La Soul EP, and Lee Morgan’s Search for New Land 45 RPM Music Matters release. $80

I have that Lee Morgan and it sounds awesome. The De La is a remix and some additional tracks so that seems just like a throw in but the Doom is probably another $20 value. Seems like a good deal if anybody is looking for the Morgan! Good find!

Im considering upgrading my King press of Maiden Voyage.
I’m definitely in for Search For The New Land and Soul Station.
Months ago I went to Discogs to pay around $90 for a MM 33&1/3 of Soul Station that I had been eyeing for weeks.
Unfortunately, it was gone.
So this will be about $10 cheaper.
And Search For The New Land is one of my favorite Morgan albums.

Speak No Evil is a no brainer for me.
Although I have the MM33&1/3.
I swear there’s a little, faint noise during “Infant Eyes.”
Some times I hear it, other times I don’t.
So, SRX is a yes.

Geez, the things this hobby does to you. 😂
I’d consider buying Speak No Evil and Maiden Voyage from ya if you want to subsidize your MM budget.

Not sure what I’ll do; not sure if I should give it to a family member or just list it below asking price so it sells quick.
$50 would sell fast right?

EDIT - None of my family members listen to jazz, so I don’t think they’d even understand the work of art that would be handed down to them.
Aren't we all family here? ;)

Seriously though, I think it would go right away at that price. I would have a hard time resisting. Isn't that the one that the 33 is better than the 45 for some reason?

Does anyone know the stories behind the covers for Lou Donaldson's Alligator Boogaloo and Mr. Shing-A-Ling? Both are Reid Miles covers but so out of the norm in many ways for BN covers of the time. But if he was going for spaceage bachelor pad stewardess I guess he got it right.
View attachment 29897
I would assume LSD. :)

Additionally, the spelling has always bothered me. He meant Boogaloo, right? That album planning meeting must have been something...

Mine shipped already and from only about 50 miles away 🙌🏻

Although I've liked to complain about MMJ as a company in the past, I haven't had any real problems with their process. They have the best shipping boxes, so well packed, and once I accidentally ordered two of the same title and they reached out to see if I really wanted two. When I admitted my error they immediately refunded me. A final great thing about MMJ orders is that they charge no tax (to me at least). And on these expensive orders, that's a pretty penny. I typically use the $199 mark to splurge on an extra, thinking of it as a $10 coupon. I picked up Whistle Stop.

So as a thought exercise, if I only had $75 to spend on Grant Green...

Option A:
Idle Hands (SRX)
or
Option B:
Nigeria (TP) AND Sunday Mornin' (Slow Down Sounds)
or
Option C:
Green Street (AP) AND Alive! (BN80)

Context: Current Grant Green in my collection: Born to Be Blue (TP) and Idle Hands and Am I Blue (RVG CDs)
I know, I know, "Why not both?", but I only have so much money and space in the Kallax.

So as a thought exercise, if I only had $75 to spend on Grant Green...

Option A:
Idle Hands (SRX)
or
Option B:
Nigeria (TP) AND Sunday Mornin' (Slow Down Sounds)
or
Option C:
Green Street (AP) AND Alive! (BN80)

Context: Current Grant Green in my collection: Born to Be Blue (TP) and Idle Hands and Am I Blue (RVG CDs)
I know, I know, "Why not both?", but I only have so much money and space in the Kallax.

Not quite a choice you provided, but because you already have Idle Moments, I'd pick the Sunday Mornin BLUE VINYL from Plaid Room records, and Alive BN80. I think that colored variation of Sunday Mornin is killer. The Alive will give you more funky GG than you currently have, so you'll be covering more of his styles.

Back