The Blue Note Thread

Still miking this Grant Green topic. For me, this is Grant's signature lick. He does it ALL the time. And it's bad ass. Start at 330 to hear it, or enjoy the whole song as it's one of his best.

You talking around 3:45 repetitive notes with big jumps in pitch and repeats it till 3:56? I like that.

Yeah, not helping at all! Thanks to all of you I now want to buy most of Grant Green's entire discography...

I hope blaming the N&G Blue Note Group will be a viable excuse in divorce court.

Take your time and sit with them. All the records are great, but after you listen to them for a while you find special moments that make the specific albums stand out for you. Get those albums.

Still miking this Grant Green topic. For me, this is Grant's signature lick. He does it ALL the time. And it's bad ass. Start at 330 to hear it, or enjoy the whole song as it's one of his best.

This track is gonna sound soo sweet on the new Tone Poet. Really can't wait for the February batch! Chet Baker Sings is gonna be stellar as well.

on the itunes version it happens right at 5:51, :54, and :58. It sounds like a chord that has more than two notes. maybe there is a slide up for 2 or three frets. But he plays it tremolo but chordal, rather than one note.

I think this is what you're talking about? If so, it's a minor 6th interval (the 3rd and the 5th of the d minor triad):

While we are talking about standout musical moments. Can we talk about probably the greatest hard-bop solo there ever was? Lee Morgan’s solo on Moanin’. That opening statement kills me every time. The Three note repeated nasal lick, double tonguing quiet part, and he opens it up to the wide expansive part and at the end of that chorus he brings it down to bend a few notes.

One of the amazing things about jazz and music in general is that musicians take all these little technical skills connect them all together in some seamless fluid way to make something entirely emotional.

Last edited:
I think this is what you're talking about? If so, it's a minor 6th interval (the 3rd and the 5th of the d minor triad):

It’s no secret that I enjoyed all the videos you did with the BN box. Is there anything like that out there on your tube. I happened on a Drumeo video that explained some iconic drum fills, but I like the idea of dissecting a whole track.

Is there a good Art Blakey biography, or a book where he is dealt with in fair detail? I am listening to Buhaina's Delight and the more I learn about him the more fascinating he becomes.
I have been meaning to pick up this book - Art Blakey Jazz Messenger by Leslie Gourse but unfortunately it doesn't have the best reviews. A lot of what I have read on Blakey isn't actually positive, so it may be that no one has actually wanted to produce an in depth look at his life as of yet.

While we are talking about standout musical moments. Can we talk about probably the greatest hard-bop solo there ever was? Lee Morgan’s solo on Moanin’. That opening statement kills me every time. The Three note repeated nasal lick, double touching quiet part, and he opens it up to the wide expansive part and at the end of that chorus he brings it down to bend a few notes.

One of the amazing things about jazz and music in general is that musicians take all these little technical skills connect them all together in some seamless fluid way to make something entirely emotional.
100%. Its just pure fire. I recently finished reading Deelightful: The Life And Times Of Lee Morgan by Jeff McMillan and this was highlighted several times as one of the key performances which pushed Morgan to another level of success.

On the Grant Green hype-train I will through my hat in the ring by saying that Grantstand is my favourite of
his. He rarely puts a foot wrong in my opinion but he ups the game of that album.

While we are talking about standout musical moments. Can we talk about probably the greatest hard-bop solo there ever was? Lee Morgan’s solo on Moanin’. That opening statement kills me every time. The Three note repeated nasal lick, double tonguing quiet part, and he opens it up to the wide expansive part and at the end of that chorus he brings it down to bend a few notes.

I’ll raise you Lee Morgan’s solo from the title track on the Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers’ A Night in Tunisia record.

Lee comes in just before the 3-minute mark after Wayne Shorter and proceeds to blow shit away!

I have been meaning to pick up this book - Art Blakey Jazz Messenger by Leslie Gourse but unfortunately it doesn't have the best reviews. A lot of what I have read on Blakey isn't actually positive, so it may be that no one has actually wanted to produce an in depth look at his life as of yet
Yes definitely a complicated person

Well, I’ve never heard a bad Lee Morgan solo, so it’s all good to me.
I mentioned this over on the Jazz thread, but I was listening to a lot of Lee Morgan whilst reading his biography and there's one solo which made me do a double take. If you listen at around 3:10 in 'Larry Young - Mothership' there's a bit when Morgan misses a note and ends his solo short. You can actually hear him say 'Damn!' on the recording.

A bit later in the book it actually references this performance and puts it down to Morgan's laziness, which he was known for. He refused to practice and would usually just rock up to a session and perform. Before that particular session he had not played for a while and his embouchure was stiff and weak as a result, causing him to slip up on the track.

On a side note, his album 'The Procrastinator' was named because of his habit of distracting himself (usually with drugs) rather than practicing with his instrument.

Back