The Blue Note Thread

Been a while since I got this box set out. Each record is immaculately pressed, the audio quality is superb. I never picked up Vol. 1 because of the lack of actual music (seems like most the money went into the scarf etc). I thought this one is much better value for money, and really like the extra bits included. Listening to the Spirit & Time compilation now and its superb! Really looking forward to Vol. 3, im hoping they maintain the quality!

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

Been a while since I got this box set out. Each record is immaculately pressed, the audio quality is superb. I never picked up Vol. 1 because of the lack of actual music (seems like most the money went into the scarf etc). I thought this one is much better value for money, and really like the extra bits included. Listening to the Spirit & Time compilation now and its superb! Really looking forward to Vol. 3, im hoping they maintain the quality!

View attachment 29744

View attachment 29745
This has been on my wantlist for a bit but the price tag has kept me from going for it! I might eventually give in though and looking forward to seeing what vol 3 has in store.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but this is the SRX release schedule for those interested:

• Art Blakey - "Moanin’ SRX - January
  • John Coltrane - "Blue Train" SRX - January
  • Lee Morgan - "Search for the New Land" SRX - February
  • Hank Mobley - "Soul Station" SRX - February
  • Grant Green - "Idle Moments" SRX - March
  • Herbie Hancock - "Maiden Voyage" SRX - March
  • Lee Morgan - "The Sidewinder" SRX - April
  • Cannonball Adderley - "Somethin’ Else" SRX - April
  • Wayne Shorter - "Speak No Evil" SRX - May
  • Kenny Burrell - " Midnight Blue" SRX - May

I do have the Classic Records pressing of Blue Train and didn't realize it's selling for around $75 on discogs...somewhat tempted now to sell that and grab the SRX instead...

This has been on my wantlist for a bit but the price tag has kept me from going for it! I might eventually give in though and looking forward to seeing what vol 3 has in store.
Yeah its certainly not cheap. One of those which I put a bit of money away for each month and eventually went for it. If its any help, its a superb package, the quality is way up there. Really well made, good solid materials used, and the extras are really top notch too.

Has anyone heard if the BN80 series is continuing?
I’m under the impression that yes, it is continuing for the next few years along with the Tone Poet series. I think they’re just taking a break with releases and/or delays with production. I haven’t heard what the titles will be for the BN80 series this year yet though.

View attachment 29744

View attachment 29745
I fully agree on the Blue Note Vol 2 -- it was very satisfying purchase and just well done all around. Vol 1:. Was okay....

Does anyone have any details on Vol 3?

I fully agree on the Blue Note Vol 2 -- it was very satisfying purchase and just well done all around. Vol 1:. Was okay....

Does anyone have any details on Vol 3?

The original press release for the Blue Note BN80 celebrations just stated:

“The 3rd edition of the Blue Note Review will focus on the legacy of the label in honor of the 80th Anniversary.“

Which reveals very little, it could literally be anything :ROFLMAO:

I believe someone else on here mentioned it being released in the Spring but I haven't seen this on their site etc

Here’s an interesting listing on EBay. MF Doom’s Operation Doomsday, a De La Soul EP, and Lee Morgan’s Search for New Land 45 RPM Music Matters release. $80

I lasted less than 24 hours before ordering both new SRX titles. The draw for me was Moanin. I just can't pass up a brand new, perfectly quiet reissue of this quality. I tell myself I'll sell Blue Train later on to subsidize the Moanin purchase, but who knows?

I lasted less than 24 hours before ordering both new SRX titles. The draw for me was Moanin. I just can't pass up a brand new, perfectly quiet reissue of this quality. I tell myself I'll sell Blue Train later on to subsidize the Moanin purchase, but who knows?

You won’t regret it. I know people are unhappy with the prices and rightly so, but these things are far cheaper than tracking down beat up original pressings at the same price point....and they’ll be as quiet as you can imagine.
I’ve been going through my MMJ 33 collection to make sure my copies are flawless for peace of mind. Today was a massive reminder of just how incredible these pressings are. I’m missing 4 of the upcoming titles and there’s no way I’m letting them slip by. Especially Maiden Voyage. My blue label is in desperate need of an upgrade.

You won’t regret it. I know people are unhappy with the prices and rightly so, but these things are far cheaper than tracking down beat up original pressings at the same price point....and they’ll be as quiet as you can imagine.
I’ve been going through my MMJ 33 collection to make sure my copies are flawless for peace of mind. Today was a massive reminder of just how incredible these pressings are. I’m missing 4 of the upcoming titles and there’s no way I’m letting them slip by. Especially Maiden Voyage. My blue label is in desperate need of an upgrade.
Im considering upgrading my King press of Maiden Voyage.
I’m definitely in for Search For The New Land and Soul Station.
Months ago I went to Discogs to pay around $90 for a MM 33&1/3 of Soul Station that I had been eyeing for weeks.
Unfortunately, it was gone.
So this will be about $10 cheaper.
And Search For The New Land is one of my favorite Morgan albums.

Speak No Evil is a no brainer for me.
Although I have the MM33&1/3.
I swear there’s a little, faint noise during “Infant Eyes.”
Some times I hear it, other times I don’t.
So, SRX is a yes.

Geez, the things this hobby does to you. 😂

I had an SRX Free for All along with a mono OG Free for All which I think I got for around the current SRX prices or slightly less. I ended up selling the SRX Free for All because my OG mono edged it out in sound and it is NM basically. My copy of Moanin is a bit noisy in spots but sounds amazing so I'm interested to see how this will fair next to that. I found a NM early Liberty copy of Blue Train just a month or two ago and I doubt an SRX would sound better than this does.

Back