The Blue Note Thread

How much were the first SRX titles initially sold for? Wasn't it something like $60? If these titles sell for that price I may grab 2 or 3

I think I'd need lower than 60/ each. MAYBE I'd buy a title I really really want that'd pretty rare, but I don't know. I'm hoping for 50 or under. under 40 is a definite yes on a few. I just can't justify spending so much then having them overcharge on shipping. MMJ has left a bad taste on my mouth overall.

I think I'd need lower than 60/ each. MAYBE I'd buy a title I really really want that'd pretty rare, but I don't know. I'm hoping for 50 or under. under 40 is a definite yes on a few. I just can't justify spending so much then having them overcharge on shipping. MMJ has left a bad taste on my mouth overall.

Never bought any MMJ and probably never will. These are way too expensive, even more when you compare with the TP serie. I hope BN will start releasing their most important record following TP standards and sell those at a normal price +/- $30/35.

Never bought any MMJ and probably never will. These are way too expensive, even more when you compare with the TP serie. I hope BN will start releasing their most important record following TP standards and sell those at a normal price +/- $30/35.
I'll be curious to see if the success of the Tone Poet series has an effect on what they price new MMJ releases at. Surely it will be harder for them to justify pricing new releases, or even repressings, at the price they have been using? One can only hope!

I'll be curious to see if the success of the Tone Poet series has an effect on what they price new MMJ releases at. Surely it will be harder for them to justify pricing new releases, or even repressings, at the price they have been using? One can only hope!

I wish they will but, on the other hand, I can't see how they will justify to their old customers who spent $75 on a record that would be now available for half the price.

One thing to keep in mind is that Joe Harley has stated that the raw vinyl puck for the SRX records costs $8 more than the standard formulation. I'm not sure if RTI charges more to press those records.

Another big factor is the licensing fee MMJ has to pay to Blue Note, which Blue Note obviously isn't paying to itself.

Who knows what they will charge (my guess is they will stick with the $60 they charged in 2019), but the extreme lower limit doesn't seem like it could be much lower than $50.

The prices won’t be lowered because they know these titles will sell. Some of the most sought after Blue Note titles being rereleased on SRX vinyl? They’ll be a minimum of $60. Probably $70-80 for titles like Blue Train, The Sidewinder, Somethin’ Else, Moanin’ etc.

I’m probably in for a handful. >_<

One thing to keep in mind is that Joe Harley has stated that the raw vinyl puck for the SRX records costs $8 more than the standard formulation. I'm not sure if RTI charges more to press those records.

Another big factor is the licensing fee MMJ has to pay to Blue Note, which Blue Note obviously isn't paying to itself.

Who knows what they will charge (my guess is they will stick with the $60 they charged in 2019), but the extreme lower limit doesn't seem like it could be much lower than $50.
Please don't try to make sense of their pricing as having any basis in normal costs. They proved beyond a shadow of a doubt a few years ago they are now more interested in price gouging than normal pricing.

s
Please don't try to make sense of their pricing as having any basis in normal costs. They proved beyond a shadow of a doubt a few years ago they are now more interested in price gouging than normal pricing.

Sure. I know lots of folks have a big problem with their pricing. The point I was trying to make was that the idea of future MMJ releases being priced anywhere near a Tone Poet price (which was the question I was responding to with the post) is simply not possible. Even if Ron had the will to have a rock-bottom price, it wouldn't be that low. And, as many others like to observe, he doesn't seem to be too worried about pricing things as low as possible anyway. My personal guess for future SRX releases is $75 a pop, but I hope I am wrong.

s

Sure. I know lots of folks have a big problem with their pricing. The point I was trying to make was that the idea of future MMJ releases being priced anywhere near a Tone Poet price (which was the question I was responding to with the post) is simply not possible. Even if Ron had the will to have a rock-bottom price, it wouldn't be that low. And, as many others like to observe, he doesn't seem to be too worried about pricing things as low as possible anyway. My personal guess for future SRX releases is $75 a pop, but I hope I am wrong.
I don't have a problem with their pricing so much as the way they handled their severe pricing change.

I will agree that, assuming that price on the SRX (which no one asked for) is true, it would be unlikely that they could price the same as tone poet. Aren't they just repressing with the same plates they already had? That should make them cheaper as well. There is no excuse for them to be priced more than $8 above their competitors. Considering they did sell for tone poet prices for years, they should be a lot closer to them than $75.

I think your guess is a good one and why I won't be considering purchasing any.

Hoffman's speculation on what is going on at MMJ prompted a direct response on the forum. Mostly, it was just about changes to the website, but there was also this bit:

One of these "pushes" has got to be the repressing of titles that was sleuthed out and reportedly admitted to in emails to users. Could it be the second one is new titles, or possibly expanding beyond Blue Note? I really don't have a clue. Maybe the two pushes refers to the repressings being grouped in two releases.

Late to this discussion. I figure the two pushes are:
1) The legendary titles (Moanin', Speak No Evil, et al.) that are sold out at 33rpm, being repressed on SRX. I'd expect these to be $75 like Blue Train was.
2) A 2nd series of SRX titles, possibly ones previously available at 45rpm (Procrastinator). I'd expect/hope these to be $60, like the 2019 series was.

I'll be interested to see if they reissue things that have gotten the BN80 treatment this year, like Una Mas.

Fwiw, I bought the Blue Train SRX ($75) and Adam's Apple SRX ($60) as splurges and they are outstanding. I'm not sure the SRX truly improves the sound that much for my concert damaged ears on my average system (Debut Carbon > Yamaha Amp > Monitor Audio Silver Speakers), but maybe it does for Audiophiles who have high end systems. Still, those are two of my favourite jazz albums so no regrets.

I watch four threads on this forum and wanted to see my avatar as the latest contributor to each. So here goes.

Once in a while you pick up that oddball release that you never realized was a Blue Note. This one came in a batch I had recently purchased. Not particularly impressive, but anyone else heard of it?

The cover of Nigeria. I noticed that the font is green, white, and green. Those are the colors of the Nigerian flag.

SuYZVvJ.jpg

Back