The Blue Note Thread

I agree with this. I compared a BN80 Indestructible with the MMJ version and they're identical. I threw in an OG copy as well and that sounded very different, so I doubt my hearing was off at all. Honestly the BN80 are a really amazing deal, I don't mind the cheap sleeve at all since the record itself is just very well done. And I haven't had any issues with warps or noise or defects, so Optimal did a good job.

I’m souring more and more on MMJ. From the pricing and shipping (I’m only about a 45 minute drive from their office) and the things I hear about return policy.

The difference in TP to BN80 is actually good. I like that it is because it come with added content and higher quality jacket, but the BN80 keeps the same sound quality. Hopefully Don will use the popularity of these series to start cutting into MMJ releases without their non consumer friendly practices.

As for the difference on the sound on OG. The video a ways back explains why Rudy may have had a different sound if he would have made records for the equipment we have today.

I currently listening to a 75 reissues and have a few. The sound on them have never distracted from the pleasure of listening to them. Maybe if I had a better system I would notice more. But I would say about 70% of the time I’m paying more attention to the thoughts in my head anyway.

I just wanted to say I'm super grateful for the Blue Note reissue campaigns this year. The amount of BN records in my collection increased significantly in 2019, and as I look back, I find that plenty of those are titles or artists that weren't even in my radar. I would love to see them release high quality reissues of the most popular stuff, but I feel like both Tone Poet and BN80 shed some light on some great lesser known albums. While I feel like I will pick up good copies of Moanin', Speak no Evil, Out to lunch, and so on, I would have never even searched for a good deal of the albums I added to my collection this year if it weren't for the reissue campaigns. It's been an expensive year, but a very fun and insightful one!

I just wanted to say I'm super grateful for the Blue Note reissue campaigns this year. The amount of BN records in my collection increased significantly in 2019, and as I look back, I find that plenty of those are titles or artists that weren't even in my radar. I would love to see them release high quality reissues of the most popular stuff, but I feel like both Tone Poet and BN80 shed some light on some great lesser known albums. While I feel like I will pick up good copies of Moanin', Speak no Evil, Out to lunch, and so on, I would have never even searched for a good deal of the albums I added to my collection this year if it weren't for the reissue campaigns. It's been an expensive year, but a very fun and insightful one!
As someone just jumping into the jazz, it seems like it's been perfect timing. Reasonably priced, great quality records that aren't just the big names. Loving it! And thanks to the people here for informing me of new releases, what to look for, etc.....

Ordered a ton of stuff from Blue Note's store. Bummer is Andrew Hill Black Fire (Tone Poet) is delayed by about a month. I don't mind too much as the rest of my records they said are being upgraded shipping wise. Should be here by Monday.

I know this time of year can be nuts, but Blue Note made this right by me.Their communication has been great whenever I emailed them Really Excited to get these records.

Because of this experience I think I will go for the blue note revue. I'm sure this has been discussed, but is it worth it? Dumb question i'm sure

Because of this experience I think I will go for the blue note revue. I'm sure this has been discussed, but is it worth it? Dumb question i'm sure
Are you referring to the Blue Note Review Volume 2? Vol 1 is sold out and two is a far better deal because 2 reissues are included. And Africane from Blakey sounds amazingly awesome! Bobby Hutcherson's Patterns was also good, but the Art Blakey really blew me away.

It comes with another double LP which is half good (first half only IMO), a cd version of the double LP and a few other goodies. Looks like 200 on their site which is pricey for two reissues and the extras, but don't think those will be available anywhere else for a while.

Although I would love to get the Blue Mitchell LP (Step Lightly) from Volume 1!

Are you referring to the Blue Note Review Volume 2? Vol 1 is sold out and two is a far better deal because 2 reissues are included. And Africane from Blakey sounds amazingly awesome! Bobby Hutcherson's Patterns was also good, but the Art Blakey really blew me away.

It comes with another double LP which is half good (first half only IMO), a cd version of the double LP and a few other goodies. Looks like 200 on their site which is pricey for two reissues and the extras, but don't think those will be available anywhere else for a while.

Yes I believe so, Is Vol 1 sold out?

As someone just jumping into the jazz, it seems like it's been perfect timing. Reasonably priced, great quality records that aren't just the big names. Loving it! And thanks to the people here for informing me of new releases, what to look for, etc.....
Yup. Just like CDs in the late 80s and 90s. 'Twas a good time to be a BN fan then as well. I'm so grateful all of that music came out. Tons of extra tracks and unreleased sessions that further deepened my already borderline obsessive appreciation of the music.

I was a MMJ subscriber so also feeling fortunate that I was able to get all of those when available (without the scene now). I'm glad that this timeless music is making its way to new ears with the current reissue program. Long may it prosper! I just wish the early Blue Note era was more represented but modern tastes don't want Sidney Bechet, Ike Quebec or various other 10 inch stuff that came out then. Glad I have my mosaics.

Ordered a ton of stuff from Blue Note's store. Bummer is Andrew Hill Black Fire (Tone Poet) is delayed by about a month. I don't mind too much as the rest of my records they said are being upgraded shipping wise. Should be here by Monday.

I know this time of year can be nuts, but Blue Note made this right by me.Their communication has been great whenever I emailed them Really Excited to get these records.

Completely agree with @Doctor_of_Jazz here, Volume 2 is definitely a pricey luxury, but IMO well worth it. I didn't get the first volume as it seemed like they put too much money towards extras I wasn't interested in (like the John Varvatos scarf). They definitely listened to feedback for volume 2 though, more music and interesting extras like the magazines and top-trump style cards. The 2 reissues are superb audio quality and I really like the compilation as well, which includes more recent additions to the roster like GoGo Penguin.

I cant for the life of me remember where I saw this, but I read somewhere that Volume 3 is well underway and should be announced in the new year.

Completely agree with @Doctor_of_Jazz here, Volume 2 is definitely a pricey luxury, but IMO well worth it. I didn't get the first volume as it seemed like they put too much money towards extras I wasn't interested in (like the John Varvatos scarf). They definitely listened to feedback for volume 2 though, more music and interesting extras like the magazines and top-trump style cards. The 2 reissues are superb audio quality and I really like the compilation as well, which includes more recent additions to the roster like GoGo Penguin.

I cant for the life of me remember where I saw this, but I read somewhere that Volume 3 is well underway and should be announced in the new year.

Blue Note records said on Instagram that they're working on Volume 3 and it will be released in the spring of 2020.

I’m souring more and more on MMJ. From the pricing and shipping (I’m only about a 45 minute drive from their office) and the things I hear about return policy.

Yeah I feel the same. I'm on the fence about getting MMJ anymore. When they announce their new titles, the pricing will have to be more reasonable and I'll have to really want the titles. But even then, I don't know.

Hoffman forum believes they have a scoop on upcoming MMJ SRX titles for 2020. A couple days ago, a bunch of titles that have been sold out became available for 15 mins. People who ordered them had the orders canceled and were told that these titles were going to be released throughout 2020. They seem to all be represses instead of new titles, but repressed on SRX vinyl in 33rpm instead of whatever they were originally released as. This list may be incomplete and not entirely accurate:
Somethin' Else
Moanin'
Midnight Blue
Blue Train
Maiden Voyage
Idle Moments
Soul Station
Search for the New Land
The Sidewinder
Speak No Evil

The Procrastinator
Out To Lunch!
Hank Mobley Quintet

Hoffman forum believes they have a scoop on upcoming MMJ SRX titles for 2020. A couple days ago, a bunch of titles that have been sold out became available for 15 mins. People who ordered them had the orders canceled and were told that these titles were going to be released throughout 2020. They seem to all be represses instead of new titles, but repressed on SRX vinyl in 33rpm instead of whatever they were originally released as. This list may be incomplete and not entirely accurate:
Somethin' Else
Moanin'
Midnight Blue
Blue Train
Maiden Voyage
Idle Moments
Soul Station
Search for the New Land
The Sidewinder
Speak No Evil
The Procrastinator
Out To Lunch!
Hank Mobley Quintet

I'm not shocked at all. I'll probably try and grab a few if the prices aren't insane. Otherwise, most of those are available in other decent formats.

I'm not shocked at all. I'll probably try and grab a few if the prices aren't insane. Otherwise, most of those are available in other decent formats.
I feel exactly the same. If they are charging $75 for premium titles, I will continue trying to hunt good pressings elsewhere. Otherwise, I'm probably in for about 4.

How much were the first SRX titles initially sold for? Wasn't it something like $60? If these titles sell for that price I may grab 2 or 3

You still can buy the bundle and have all of them. $700 though. For the same amount of money you can buy the 24 Tone Poet released this year and a couple of BN80.

Hoffman's speculation on what is going on at MMJ prompted a direct response on the forum. Mostly, it was just about changes to the website, but there was also this bit:

Separately, we are working on two major pushes for 2020, one of which we hope to announce shortly. The only thing we have announced is that we were pleased by the reception of Blue Train on SRX. But there's one thing we've learned and that's that we shouldn't announce specifics until we have titles in the warehouse ready to ship.

One of these "pushes" has got to be the repressing of titles that was sleuthed out and reportedly admitted to in emails to users. Could it be the second one is new titles, or possibly expanding beyond Blue Note? I really don't have a clue. Maybe the two pushes refers to the repressings being grouped in two releases.

Back