The 33 1/3 thread.... (the book series)

The 2nd podcast was posted Friday on G'n'R Use Your Illusion. It was a lot more entertaining than the first podcast and basically devolved into funny and interesting stories and the guests ripping on the pov of the book's author. Well worth a listen.

Last edited:
The 2nd podcast was posted Friday on G'n'R Use Your Illusion. It was a lot more entertaining than the first podcast and basically devolved into funny and interesting stories and the guests ripping on the pov of the book'ss author. Well worth a listen.
I couldn’t get through the first one so I may give them a chance to get some kind of rhythm before checking it out again! Good to hear the 2nd ep is better!

The 2nd podcast was posted Friday on G'n'R Use Your Illusion. It was a lot more entertaining than the first podcast and basically devolved into funny and interesting stories and the guests ripping on the pov of the book'ss author. Well worth a listen.
honestly i'm not surprised, i fucking hated that GnR UYI book. It's not even about the albums, it's about a mixtape the author made from the albums, cherry-picking the albums' "best songs", according to his tastes back in '91 when they came out. On top of that, the writing he does do is kind of ... not great? I'm being kind here. I mean it isn't as bad as Lethem's "Talking Heads' 'Fear of Music'" book was.

Finished with Abba Gold. What a dreadful book… it spends entirely too much time defending Abba instead of just relishing in the band. It uses the compilation as a rightful discussion point in the 90s revival but also as a way to discuss the entire discography. The author missed the point of so much of the writing done post Gold’s release that she continues the bad conversations that writing is lashing out against. Finally, she makes a damn case for Super Trouper or The Visitors being more deserving of the spotlight.

It is at best a cautionary tale of why I deplore the term “guilty pleasure”

Back