The 33 1/3 thread.... (the book series)

So this arrived today. My draft is not even approaching ready, and I don't want to talk about it like its happening, but I have a project I've wanted to use to turn into a 33 1/3 proposal for a while now. They publish this book as a kind of guideline, so I'm very keen to see how I feel about my ideas as I get into this.

Attachments

• 20220228_193037[1].jpg
    20220228_193037[1].jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 8
Finally finished Electric Ladyland… gets a might bit technical, guitar players will probably dig the hell out of it. It certainly did damage to my wallet - I bought Cry of Love and Valleys of Neptune while reading and have South Saturn Delta and A mono version of the UK Are You Experience? headed my way. That’s probably the best one of these could hope is to get you into or reinvigorate your interest of the artist.

View attachment 135368

Been keeping an eye out for bargains and building my collection. Only finished MBDTF (Which was good!) and started Bitches Brew which is amazing so far. Anything to know about the others?
I have In the Aeroplane over the Sea and Soundtrack From Twin Peaks from that stack. Both were very good. Let us know how Homogenic is! That's another I want to pick up eventually.

I have In the Aeroplane over the Sea and Soundtrack From Twin Peaks from that stack. Both were very good. Let us know how Homogenic is! That's another I want to pick up eventually.
I loved aeroplane -- basically everyone involved (except jeff) talks about the album. Homogenic is ok but nothing particularly special. No particular input from bjork herself, I think maybe some interview excerpts from the era. a lot of editorializing and suppositions about her viewpoint

I loved aeroplane -- basically everyone involved (except jeff) talks about the album. Homogenic is ok but nothing particularly special. No particular input from bjork herself, I think maybe some interview excerpts from the era. a lot of editorializing and suppositions about her viewpoint
damn that's a bummer. You obviously would want to hear from the artist if they're able to.

damn that's a bummer. You obviously would want to hear from the artist if they're able to.
yes but sometimes it's ok -- literally everyone else chimed in on aeroplane, and jeff was famously all about being left alone, so it didn't really hurt the book. homogenic and SAW II books really did need more though

yes but sometimes it's ok -- literally everyone else chimed in on aeroplane, and jeff was famously all about being left alone, so it didn't really hurt the book. homogenic and SAW II books really did need more though
oh! lol, my reply was more towards the Bjork book. I didn't specify haha. I have the Aeroplane one and loved it. Bjork is kind of her own artist, NMH is more of a band so it didn't feel like you were missing anything. Unless the writer goes in a completely different direction (see John Darnielle's Master of Reality) I'd rather read some insight from that artist otherwise it's kind of a very long review of the album.

I’ve started Unknown Pleasures by the way.
Think this was the first one I ever bought (along with Low) from the original series. I read it but cannot remember much from it. Pretty sure it was all constructed from previously published interviews. I also seem to recall that it was more of an overall history of JD with the album as the centre piece.

Think this was the first one I ever bought (along with Low) from the original series. I read it but cannot remember much from it. Pretty sure it was all constructed from previously published interviews. I also seem to recall that it was more of an overall history of JD with the album as the centre piece.
I'm not a fan -- which is a bit huh, since I love Chris Ott's other music criticism

Struggling to get through the one on Tusk.
The author does clarify in the beginning that they had already committed to the book with a promise of an extensive interview from Lindsey Buckingham, but he just never made himself available for it, so the concept of the book fell through too late in the project. Must have been an incredibly frustrating situation. Instead, he fills the gaps by inserting himself as a character and its just so all over the place. I'd hope he's building it up to something (at least to some relevance for including snippets of his life), but I'm not sure I care enough to find out. Never been into Fleetwood Mac so I was hoping to learn something, but I think its more for the relatively small club of Fleetwood Mac fans who actually 'get' the album.

Does anyone happen to know if the Twin Peaks soundtrack book spoils the show? Is it the kind of show that is even 'spoilable'? @wokeupnew perhaps?
Maybe it was a bit dumb to want to read this without ever having seen the show, but now I'm interested in seeing it and not sure how to proceed.

Back