The 33 1/3 thread.... (the book series)

Does anyone happen to know if the Twin Peaks soundtrack book spoils the show? Is it the kind of show that is even 'spoilable'? @wokeupnew perhaps?
Maybe it was a bit dumb to want to read this without ever having seen the show, but now I'm interested in seeing it and not sure how to proceed.
Yeah it’ll spoil the show, plus it references various scenes and why certain music was used in certain moments. You need to absolutely watch the show regardless of the book though, it’s excellent.

20220723_153454.jpg

I would recommend this to anybody that's interested in the series overall (and music fans in general) - 55 different albums get covered here in essays that average 3-4 pages, and it's a great opportunity to get a glimpse at the writing styles of 55 different 33 1/3 authors. After working my way through this over the past few months there are definitely some books about albums I don't know or don't love that I'm more excited to read based on having read a bit by their author here. I've also got a bunch of new albums in my non-2022 to-listen queue thanks to this.

I just finished Voodoo and it was definitely NOT one of the best of the series. Between the factual errors, the overwhelming focus on the lyrics over the very innovative music, and the lack of access to the principals, it was a letdown.

I learned more about the recording of Voodoo from "Dilla Time" (highly recommended, btw) than I did from the 33 1/3 book about the album. Bummer.

I was just telling my wife about these, and I said 'there are SO many, name a band!' because I'm ordering a couple today so I figured I'd get her one too.
So of course I couldn't find any of her choices - The Cure, Fiona Apple or The Decemberists - on the Bloomsbury site. I'm kind of surprised based on how many of these there are.

I was just telling my wife about these, and I said 'there are SO many, name a band!' because I'm ordering a couple today so I figured I'd get her one too.
So of course I couldn't find any of her choices - The Cure, Fiona Apple or The Decemberists - on the Bloomsbury site. I'm kind of surprised based on how many of these there are.
There definitely seem to be holes. But since I think they still published based on proposals that people make Bloomsbury is not commissioning any specific band or album be covered.

The one on the replacements' "let it be" is by Colin Meloy iirc

Bought a copy of 1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die. First record is Abba Gold.... listening to it tonight got me thinking how awful that 33 1/3 was and how I hadn't listened to Abba since I finished it and that was a shame.

This was a decent read; mostly based on song lyrics and the author's suppositions on what Mitchell's thoughts were in the writing of these songs. He covers a few other albums before and after the meat of the C&S writing.
This is only my 2nd 33 1/3 book, not sure which one will be next but I have other things in queue before I consider my next installment.

IMG_2373.JPG

I have an extra copy of the VU & Nico book if anyone wants to do a trade for one I may not have.
I know this post was from a long time ago, but I just saw it today while looking through this thread for my next couple titles to read. I was recently sent an extra copy of Sowdfishtrombones, I was thinking I'd PIF it, but I'd trade if you still have the extra copy of VU.

Any reviews of the Fugazi and Ramones books?
Fugazi book is great. First one I read. @Thackeraye mentioned the book when he picked In on the Kill Taker as ROTM:

Last edited:
Fugazi book is great. First one I read. @Thackeraye mwntioned the book when he picked In on the Kill Taker as ROTM:
Yup, the Fugazi book is great. Well worth your time.

Back