The 33 1/3 thread.... (the book series)

A few titles have potential. Only familiar with one author, Leah Kardos. She has written extensively on Bowie's later period
I meant to thank you for posting her youtube clips, I saw one and fell into that rabbithole and watched them all over the space of a week. I'm not huge on Kate Bush -- "granny granny" as a sexy chanteuse thing will always make me laugh -- but I will definitely check her book out because Kardos' writing is wonderful and pushes all the buttons I want pushed in music writing.

I'm looking forward to the ministry, pulp, yo la tengo and red hot + blue books.

Last edited:
I just finished this one and it was kind of.... terrible.

This album is better than this book and deserved more. It was written by an editor at Pitchfork and it shows. Rambling about the band's elusiveness, a little history around them including falling out with different band members, even going as far into their current history when this was written in 2007. The author saves his insight into the songs and album for the last 10 pages and only a few paragraphs are given to each song. It's as if the author wrote all he did in the first 100 pages but then realized, "I should probably include some insight into the album at some point". The book ends with a weird rambling/rant about "What if phones, but too much" in regards to mp3s and music consumption and the future. They also called "Mayfly" the worse song on the album and said that the production of the whole album is terrible..... like.... fuck off please with those garbage opinions. I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads but that's probably being too kind.

This album is better than this book and deserved more. It was written by an editor at Pitchfork and it shows. Rambling about the band's elusiveness, a little history around them including falling out with different band members, even going as far into their current history when this was written in 2007. The author saves his insight into the songs and album for the last 10 pages and only a few paragraphs are given to each song. It's as if the author wrote all he did in the first 100 pages but then realized, "I should probably include some insight into the album at some point". The book ends with a weird rambling/rant about "What if phones, but too much" in regards to mp3s and music consumption and the future. They also called "Mayfly" the worse song on the album and said that the production of the whole album is terrible..... like.... fuck off please with those garbage opinions. I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads but that's probably being too kind.
I haven’t read the GNR one but the podcast about it is great, Ricky Rachtman and Sebastian Bach are like if this guy hates it so much why did he write a whole book?

I haven’t read the GNR one but the podcast about it is great, Ricky Rachtman and Sebastian Bach are like if this guy hates it so much why did he write a whole book?

The gnr one.... the dude didn't even review the album, in the 90s when they came out, he made a cassette with all the best songs from both UYI volumes on it, and he recreated that, and that's what he used for the book.

He then spends the whole book trashing 80s cock rockers for being 80s cock rockers. Did you guys know Axl was a sexist narcissistic asshole? Let me tell you about it for 60 pages.

Yeah I don’t get why this guy wrote this book. I think he likes the band but you can tell he’s not a fan of some of the things they’ve done, at least without saying it outright.

This one at least has the benefit of being about the fucking album. Like, he's wrong and his writing is dumb and his opinions are poorly thought out, but at least he's on topic. (See also: sonic youth Daydream nation)

This one at least has the benefit of being about the fucking album. Like, he's wrong and his writing is dumb and his opinions are poorly thought out, but at least he's on topic. (See also: sonic youth Daydream nation)
I mean, kind of. I feel like the author wrote more about Tigermilk than this album.

I feel with a lot of the early books in the series, the author’s needed to spend 66-75% of the book just leading up to the start of recording. I know I read IYFS book but I cannot remember it at all.

Never knew that there is a 33.3 Oceania series now. A few titles in the series I would love to read, sadly they are pricy up here, The Church and Dead C are both over $30 on Amazon.ca. Plus a few albums that I am not at all familiar with but sound interesting.

Never knew that there is a 33.3 Oceania series now. A few titles in the series I would love to read, sadly they are pricy up here, The Church and Dead C are both over $30 on Amazon.ca. Plus a few albums that I am not at all familiar with but sound interesting.
There’s a Latinx and Japanese series as well if I’m not mistaken.

they also have a Japan series.

I put all of them on my camelcamelcamel list and once they hit a decent pricepoint, I pick 'em up. I got the jazz samba from the brazil series and supercell featuring hatsune miku for <10$ each

Back