The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Day 107

a3f7bafaee72f4f289f4b06f45f64cc3dd993dfa

I'll admit, I wasn't too stoked to draw this one given how much I disliked Brian Wilson and didn't vibe with Pet Sounds but was pleasantly surprised with this one. There were a few songs that didn't land for me but all in all, I enjoyed it. "Dreamer" was my favourite. 3.5/5

Day 107

a3f7bafaee72f4f289f4b06f45f64cc3dd993dfa

I'll admit, I wasn't too stoked to draw this one given how much I disliked Brian Wilson and didn't vibe with Pet Sounds but was pleasantly surprised with this one. There were a few songs that didn't land for me but all in all, I enjoyed it. "Dreamer" was my favourite. 3.5/5
Love this record. Dennis was a late bloomer and sadly ran out of time, his vices caught up to him; before he could release his follow up. I would suggest ya check out his posthumous release, Bambu but I think I should probably just take 3.5 for a Beach Boys adjacent album as a win and move on.

65/1001
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
RyanAdamsHeartbreaker.jpg

First time listening. Another case of ending up in a situation where I’m left evaluating whether an artist's shortcomings as a person invalidate their art.
But in this case, I kind of felt indifferent overall. Truth be told, a few of these songs in the beginning of the album are okay but there's such a commitment to keeping any one quality or song from standing out. Sorry, but I don't think I'll be revisiting.

Personal highlights: "Amy," "Oh My Sweet Carolina,"
Rating: 2/5 [Mediocre]

65/1001
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
RyanAdamsHeartbreaker.jpg

First time listening. Another case of ending up in a situation where I’m left evaluating whether an artist's shortcomings as a person invalidate their art.
But in this case, I kind of felt indifferent overall. Truth be told, a few of these songs in the beginning of the album are okay but there's such a commitment to keeping any one quality or song from standing out. Sorry, but I don't think I'll be revisiting.

Personal highlights: "Amy," "Oh My Sweet Carolina,"
Rating: 2/5 [Mediocre]
You lucked out, you don’t have to feel like an asshole everytime you play this album like I do.

66/1001
Turbonegro -
Apocalypse Dudes
Turbonegro-ApocalypseDudes.jpg

First time listening.
It is very one note and doesn't sustain its 47 minute runtime. It's generic at its best, but often it's just plain annoying for my ears. Were it up to me, it probably gets thrown in the recycle bin.
No.

Personal highlights: none for me, although I'm sure you could do worse
Rating: 1.5/5 [Bad]

Make a quick search across the forum using "turbonegro" as a keyword and could only find a handful of instances being mentioned across N&G's lifespan. I'm left questioning the seriousness of a fair number of selections that I've gotten so far in addition to those I've seen in the other relevant thread.

67/1001
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

A baby with an Afro haircut sits in a blank white background.

An all-time great. This isn't just a hip hop staple, it's a historical document.

Personal highlights: "Things Done Changed," "Gimme the Loot," "Machine Gun Funk," "One More Chance," "Juicy," "Everyday Struggle," "Me & My Bitch," "Big Poppa," "Respect," "Who Shot Ya?," but there aren't any lowlights to be found, are there?
Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]

Day 109 - (I've been putting this one off for a minute)

205b6692b6b710a322919c7ca9cece2997ac1869

"The clock's ticking, I just count the hours" - 8 minutes into this 1h 8min long album I'm counting down the hour... I wasn't looking forward to this, and I'm still not. But I'm in it...

"The clock's ticking, I just count the hours" - 8 minutes into this 1h 8min long album I'm counting down the hour... I wasn't looking forward to this, and I'm still not. But I'm in it...

If this led to anybody checking out King Crimson who hadn't previously done so, that's probably going to be the most positive attribute of this album for me...

Oooof! "Monster" might just feature the weakest Jay-Z verse I've ever heard. That was painful.

"Runaway" is about 9 minutes too long and has one of the dumbest hooks I've ever heard.

"Runaway" is about 9 minutes too long and has one of the dumbest hooks I've ever heard.

Oh! Nevermind. This vocoder/autotune re-write of "Iron Man" for the hook of "Hell of a Life" is much worse!

Alright, in order to inject some positivity into these proceedings I will fall back to where I commonly wind up when it comes to discussions around Kanye - there is some fantastic production here. I think Kanye is a solid producer. Not the best; not legendary; solid. But as an emcee, I feel like his spectrum reduces to something between decent and horrifically wack - more often than not the latter end of that. Perhaps the incredible array of guest appearances on this album distracts many from the fact this is self-indulgent and not that good, aside from a bunch of the beats.

Objectively: 2/5; Subjectively 0/5

Day 110

7fdbd342a1cb9680a3471e684f7f97da51f737ac

Syd!

This is the Pink Floyd album I would recommend to people who don't like Pink Floyd. Under Syd's leadership, they made some fantastic psychedelic rock and pop, and this album sounds nothing like any of the albums that came after. Bookended by two of my absolute favourite Floyd Songs, this is a great album. "Interstellar Overdrive" is mood dependent for me - sometimes I can't get enough of it, and sometimes I very much can. 4.5/5

Alright, in order to inject some positivity into these proceedings I will fall back to where I commonly wind up when it comes to discussions around Kanye - there is some fantastic production here. I think Kanye is a solid producer. Not the best; not legendary; solid. But as an emcee, I feel like his spectrum reduces to something between decent and horrifically wack - more often than not the latter end of that. Perhaps the incredible array of guest appearances on this album distracts many from the fact this is self-indulgent and not that good, aside from a bunch of the beats.

Objectively: 2/5; Subjectively 0/5
I haven't listened to this one in a long time (or any Kanye for that matter), but this is one of the highlights of his discography. I actually kind of want to relisten to see how I feel about when it shows up in either project thread for me.

Day 111

ab67616d0000b27308bfa280ee61ceba224e95d1

Never listened to Silver Jews before this and definitely plan to listen to more after this.
I very much enjoyed this one - there are some fantastic lyrical turns throughout! 4/5

Day 112

c86eba53f995224caead6f565e65b10ee5ed27d6

It's funny that "Perfection" is the track that keeps this from having an absolutely flawless Side A. That said, it's not flawed enough to lower the rating. To me, this album is Run-DMC's finest. "Dumb Girl" hasn't aged well, but this is still a certified classic. 5/5

Back