That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

I'll admit I'm one of the assholes that posted this for sale after I saw what the first couple went for. I had to have an MRI that hit me for $800 that same day. So I figured I'd rather have the money at that point. But no one's bit and I'm not complaining because I do actually want it, it's just definitely not worth $700 to me. Sometimes like with this I'm an unintentional flipper. I never buy to flip, but it's true sometimes something will arrive after a long pre-order and people be paying crazy amounts and I only have so much willpower when these young'uns are waving the Benji's, especially when I can buy more records with that money 😅
I hear you, and sorry about the need for an MRI. Something about what I perceive as the pre-meditated nature of an immediate flip is what I was reacting to, but it's always more complicated than that, and as with so many things, it takes two (seller and buyer) to make it work. I knew my 10LP Joni Mitchell Archives vol. 2 had been shipped and looked on discogs to see if any had been listed and there are two, starting at $950, when the set is still available from her website for $249! Crazy times.

I hear you, and sorry about the need for an MRI. Something about what I perceive as the pre-meditated nature of an immediate flip is what I was reacting to, but it's always more complicated than that, and as with so many things, it takes two (seller and buyer) to make it work. I knew my 10LP Joni Mitchell Archives vol. 2 had been shipped and looked on discogs to see if any had been listed and there are two, starting at $950, when the set is still available from her website for $249! Crazy times.
Yeah, that sucks on two levels: one, that people buy to immediately flip, and two, that they’d take advantage of Discogs and potentially sell it for 4x what it’s currently selling for on other sites.

Y'all, for real?

Hell, I bought this for my Fiancee and she's maybe listened to it once (one of my failed attempts to get her into vinyl). Looks like it might be making its way to Discogs at some point.

I had a bit of spare time this morning and had a look to see if there had been any notable jumps in prices for some of the records I have.

Lee Morgan's debut as lead (technically Indeed! was released first but this was recorded a couple days before) has jumped massively. I bought my copy in 2019 for less than the median back then, including shipping from the US. I think we are going to see a rise in demand for sessions released on less obvious labels (I.e. not Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, Impulse!, etc)

LM.JPG

Another bump in price for Savoy. This is an album that I was hunting down for years so I'm certainly glad I got a copy when I did.

CF.JPG

Now for some non-jazz releases. I will never not be surprised by the price of Watch The Throne. Yeah its a good album but the pressing is average at best (its a 2LP picture disc). Saba is one of those right time, right place purchases. I hadn't even heard of him when I bought this but saw that he had featured on some of Chance The Rapper's songs, so I paid the £18 retail price for it. And then there is Phoebe Bridgers. A great album for sure and I LOVE the artwork in the booklet, but £158.......

KW.JPG
Saba.JPG
pb.JPG
59E99B57-3C4D-4CD8-A31A-8D6B01F6DCCD.jpeg

Back