That Escalated Quickly (aka Common Records Turned Rare)

Huh

Yep, I saw that one a couple weeks back and shuffled my way off to a local which had a two year old copy gathering dust on the shelf as I was thinking on it for a bit. I have to imagine that'll get re-pressed at some point given the umpteen presses of their first Xmas album and relative availability of everything else. Fun little xmas album though

Discogs is a bit inflated too. Last two Ebay copies sold between 65-75, though the market is crazy

Last edited:
Man y'all looking at stuff I've been recently. It's a bit higher than the last two sales there and prices are all over the place on Ebay too. The variability sure is nuts. I bet someone will bite on that price.

This is a particularly surprising example... I know several DG albums have gone out of print lately, but I figured this one at least would always be in circulation.

Huh

I have a feeling that jumps up given the season. Look again in summer and I bet you'll see a drop.

This is a particularly surprising example... I know several DG albums have gone out of print lately, but I figured this one at least would always be in circulation.
This is shocking. I feel like I see this everywhere, but then again I haven't been physically looking at records much this year... thanks covid.

Kanye- MBDTF

When did this get so expensive?!

It’s not even the best sounding, and a pain in the ass to play due to the three separate records.
The new stock went really fast and although it's a massive pain to spin it's still a modern classic, with the hip hop vinyl market being nuts I get it. I've definitely been tempted to sell my copy at those prices though

The new stock went really fast and although it's a massive pain to spin it's still a modern classic, with the hip hop vinyl market being nuts I get it. I've definitely been tempted to sell my copy at those prices though
I knew that they were currently doing a repress, but I'm surprised it went that fast. I figured Discog prices would stabilize after those released.

This vinyl game is getting crazy.

Just catching up, but why would anyone pay that much for a TTL coloured vinyl copy pressed at GZ, when you can get a black vinyl copy for less than a 1/5th of the price? (This world makes no sense :eek:)

Just catching up, but why would anyone pay that much for a TTL coloured vinyl copy pressed at GZ, when you can get a black vinyl copy for less than a 1/5th of the price? (This world makes no sense :eek:)

There is a significant difference between collectors and people who just want an album on vinyl. This thread is going to have a lot of examples of that.

There is a significant difference between collectors and people who just want an album on vinyl. This thread is going to have a lot of examples of that.

It just makes no sense to me. We are all vinyl collectors, all interested in nice packaging but surely the music is at the core of any vinyl collection. From my point of view the desirability of limited releases is primarily about the music on it, not because someone threw in different colour vinyl pellets for each retail outlet. I wonder if people would buy different colour variants of the same vinyl?

To be honest, I'd generally prefer black vinyl as I can see the scratches on it, and easily see where to pace the needle (I know the quality of colour vinyl is a lot better than it used to be, this jazz dispensary titles are fantastic).

I'm sure it makes a lot of sense to other people, if we all desired the same things it would be a very boring world to live in. This type of thing I find strange because it is so close to my own thinking but yet so different.

It just makes no sense to me. We are all vinyl collectors, all interested in nice packaging but surely the music is at the core of any vinyl collection. From my point of view the desirability of limited releases is primarily about the music on it, not because someone threw in different colour vinyl pellets for each retail outlet. I wonder if people would buy different colour variants of the same vinyl?

To be honest, I'd generally prefer black vinyl as I can see the scratches on it, and easily see where to pace the needle (I know the quality of colour vinyl is a lot better than it used to be, this jazz dispensary titles are fantastic).

I'm sure it makes a lot of sense to other people, if we all desired the same things it would be a very boring world to live in. This type of thing I find strange because it is so close to my own thinking but yet so different.
I have a line of thinking when it comes to colored vinyl and exclusive releases of albums...if I own the album already on black vinyl and a really limited variant comes out of the same pressing, sometimes I’ll still buy it if I think it’s going to go up in value and if the purchase price isn’t crazy. I’ve done this a few times, including with that Khruangbin album. I only do this if I can sell the black vinyl I have to fund most or all of the color variant. In the khruangbin case, I think I ended up PIFing the black one, but usually I’d sell the old copy once the new one comes in and I play grade it. I’ve done this a handful of times (did it with a Zia version of Fleet Foxes too) and only with albums I listen to a lot.

my general rule of thumb is just don’t overpay for a color variant. I don’t go out and pay crazy money for a color variant on discogs or eBay if a copy on black vinyl exists for cheaper. If I can buy a limited color variant for the same price, then I’ll do that. Otherwise I just go for a black version if all the other pressing specs are the same.

there are definitely people out there who collect every variant for every album by a certain artist. I think someone on this forum was collecting every Black Pumas variant haha. I just personally couldn’t do it. There are a LOT of people on the vinylcollectors subreddit who post want listings for insanely priced limited variants of albums that are readily available on black vinyl for 1/10th of the price. A lot of them seem to think the vinyl will sound better or different for some reason.

I knew that they were currently doing a repress, but I'm surprised it went that fast. I figured Discog prices would stabilize after those released.

This vinyl game is getting crazy.

I was thinking the same thing then I saw a retailer (The Sound of Vinyl) has a pre-order for it posted at $58 and $13 shipping. It's quite possible the new prices are going to be close to those re-seller prices. Like Pako said, it sat super cheap for a while and even as it grew scarce I saw it at some places in the 30-40 range.

Vinyl, but especially hip-hop vinyl, is getting crazy. I agree.

As for the colored vinyl, my approach is similar to MikeH. With that said, I'm guilty of paying a little bit more for a colored variant at retail if it's attached to a print run, fits thematically with the album, comes with something additional, or if it's something likely to appreciate (or to be honest if it just looks really cool). With that said, I'm kinda fascinated that people will drop that kind of multiplier for a different color just because it's a different color.

Edit: I guess if you consider it from a superfan perspective as opposed to a person who collects records largely to listen to them, it can make more sense. Like...if I were just a HUGE fan of Khruangbin and my budget isn't "records" but "Khruangbin merch", suddenly that LE Pressing from VMP could make a really sweet get even at high price. Collector wise, this isn't dramatically different than other collectables that have variants. Like, not sure if anyone collects sports cards today, but variants are massive in that sphere. The same basic card (same photo, same series) with different finishes can vary dramatically in price. Just as an example. Fernando Tatis Jr.'s Rookie Card from Topps Chrome, using Gem Mint Graded sold prices

Basic: (Ungraded) $108.50
Basic (PSA 10 - Gem Mint): $338
Sepia Refractor (PSA 10): $530
Standard Refractor (PSA 10): $1000
XFractor: $1425
Purple Refractor: A Best offer under $2300 was taken

Like, it's the same picture, same condition (for the bottom 5), the main thing that's different is look and print run. Obviously, records are different because there's music involved that is the same across the board, but it's not that weird in other hobbies. Just feels weird here.

Edit2: It probably also includes the proclivity to resell. When I buy I'm not buying with intent to re-sell, if someone is thinking I'll spin it a few times with intent to sell x months later, then I get buying the edition likely to appreciate in value even at a higher cost.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing then I saw a retailer (The Sound of Vinyl) has a pre-order for it posted at $58 and $13 shipping. It's quite possible the new prices are going to be close to those re-seller prices. Like Pako said, it sat super cheap for a while and even as it grew scarce I saw it at some places in the 30-40 range.

Vinyl, but especially hip-hop vinyl, is getting crazy. I agree.

As for the colored vinyl, my approach is similar to MikeH. With that said, I'm guilty of paying a little bit more for a colored variant at retail if it's attached to a print run, fits thematically with the album, comes with something additional, or if it's something likely to appreciate (or to be honest if it just looks really cool). With that said, I'm kinda fascinated that people will drop that kind of multiplier for a different color just because it's a different color.

Edit: I guess if you consider it from a superfan perspective as opposed to a person who collects records largely to listen to them, it can make more sense. Like...if I were just a HUGE fan of Khruangbin and my budget isn't "records" but "Khruangbin merch", suddenly that LE Pressing from VMP could make a really sweet get even at high price. Collector wise, this isn't dramatically different than other collectables that have variants. Like, not sure if anyone collects sports cards today, but variants are massive in that sphere. The same basic card (same photo, same series) with different finishes can vary dramatically in price. Just as an example. Fernando Tatis Jr.'s Rookie Card from Topps Chrome, using Gem Mint Graded sold prices

Basic: (Ungraded) $108.50
Basic (PSA 10 - Gem Mint): $338
Sepia Refractor (PSA 10): $530
Standard Refractor (PSA 10): $1000
XFractor: $1425
Purple Refractor: A Best offer under $2300 was taken

Like, it's the same picture, same condition (for the bottom 5), the main thing that's different is look and print run. Obviously, records are different because there's music involved that is the same across the board, but it's not that weird in other hobbies. Just feels weird here.
Vinyl has very much moved into the collectibles market similar to baseball cards and other things of that nature. Limited variants, buyers clubs...all those things are popping up now. And with hip hop in particular, you have labels and artists following the Supreme kind of model a lot of times. Really limited merch for really high prices--look at Alchemist. You have these planned drops and every time they sell out within minutes if not less time. Daupe is another example--they sell out extremely fast and you see people buying titles all the time even if they don't like the record in hopes they can trade it or sell it for another Daupe title they really want. Labels are becoming brands and hypebeasts and people are buying more for investment than actually wanting the music sometimes.

Back