Television

Watched the 1st episode of Fallout, really enjoyed it. Great recreation of the environments in the game, and looking forward to seeing how the multiple characters introduced will end up intertwined (or not). Some quick thoughts:

Great fanservice without being to pushy, just nods to stuff in the game that you would see in the same way playing it.
One of the characters in the opening sequence looked exactly like an NPC from the games. Wondering if this was an intentional cast.
The show actually gives better context to the bridge leading to the vault door. In the games it's just convenience, in the show, there's a giant pit down to the lower levels of the vault. Also gives a sense of an extra layer of security, in case something does manage to get through that door.
Walton Goggins. All that needs to be said there.
Some awesome gore so far.
Some of the acting is a bit hokey, thinking this was also intentional to match the game's dialogue.
(Very Mild Spoiler)Hoping they show/explain what the experiment is between Vaults 32 and 33. Always a very interesting aspect of the games finding that stuff out.

I think my only real issue is that some of the stuff represented may be confusing to someone who has never played the games, though I think there's some context clues that point you in the right direction.

I started Fallout too, and I have never played the game, or seen any gameplay whatsoever. I am only aware of the vaguest bit of knowledge of it - mostly that little guy giving the thumbs up. I'm not lost really, but I don't grasp everything that is happening necessarily. I am wondering what in the world happens next. Also I was looking up some info on the games and had no idea how old it was. Weird

I started Fallout too, and I have never played the game, or seen any gameplay whatsoever. I am only aware of the vaguest bit of knowledge of it - mostly that little guy giving the thumbs up. I'm not lost really, but I don't grasp everything that is happening necessarily. I am wondering what in the world happens next. Also I was looking up some info on the games and had no idea how old it was. Weird
Have you watched the second episode? Curious how you felt about the slow mo/see the bullet shots. Those shots are very much taken directly from the game - there's a system in the FPS games (3,NV, and 4) that lets you slow/stop time and precise target parts of the body. Very cool nod to that, but I feel like it might come off as an odd choice from someone not familiar with it.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas back in the day. I'm dubious cus the track record for video game adaptations is not great, but seems fun and true to the material enough to at least be enjoyable. May check out first ep at least

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas back in the day. I'm dubious cus the track record for video game adaptations is not great, but seems fun and true to the material enough to at least be enjoyable. May check out first ep at least
I feel television has done better at adaptions of source material. Maybe because they have time to build and don't need to satisfy two audiences - those familiar and fans of the source and those unfamiliar - in the shorter span of a movie.

I also think there have been successful adaptions of the last few years that have benefited from being more true to the source.

But this is a generalization. I have not seen Fallout. I didn't renew my Prime a few months back, as I'd not been using it a lot, but when enough shows pile up then I'll do another year. I do look forward to watching this. I played the original game and a small bit of New Vegas. I'm not big into the style of gameplay that is Fallout but I always thought the universe was cool so I'd like to see what they do with stories.

Walt Goggins is in it. I have never played the game but I am in at least for an episode to see what it’s about based on his presence along.

Also, Last Of Us was a pretty solid series.

Have you watched the second episode? Curious how you felt about the slow mo/see the bullet shots. Those shots are very much taken directly from the game - there's a system in the FPS games (3,NV, and 4) that lets you slow/stop time and precise target parts of the body. Very cool nod to that, but I feel like it might come off as an odd choice from someone not familiar with it.
Loving how committed they are to game logic in several instances. Normally I hate slo-mo, but when it happened her I instantly blurted, "It's just like VATS!" I bet the whole Stimpak insta heals are going to throw some viewers for a loop, but it made me chuckle because it's so gamelike.

We're only 2 eps in, but really enjoying it so far. Fallout 4 was the game that made me a gamer.

I'm glad they're playing in the spaces between the games with the show. It's def winning me over as a new installment, while an adaptation would have been a hard sell.

I just finished up the second episode. The slo mo was a little strange, but it didn’t bother me too much. I think if it’s like that every single time it might start to bother me though.

Also yeah as far as video game adaptations go, well, I’m not huge into video games so I don’t usually watch them. But I’m into Fallout so far. And I really liked The Last Of Us, which felt like a heavy, artsy horror drama more than a video game adaptation. Fallout I can kinda see how it would be in a video game, but it’s not so dumb or noticeably game like that it bothers me.

I’ve only seen the first episode of Fallout and it’s great. I love Fallout. Fallout 3 might be my favorite game of all time, it’s at least in a top 5 list. But for this show, I had the lowest expectations, like rock bottom. So it easily exceeded what I was expecting. Excited to see what happens next with each character.

I’ve only seen the first episode of Fallout and it’s great. I love Fallout. Fallout 3 might be my favorite game of all time, it’s at least in a top 5 list. But for this show, I had the lowest expectations, like rock bottom. So it easily exceeded what I was expecting. Excited to see what happens next with each character.
I was trying to watch it slowly, but the wife couldn't wait so I've only got two more to go. Really well done!

So the consensus is you do not need to have played the games to get/enjoy the show, right? I've never played but am at least familiar with it, and have been trying to avoid reading too much about the show to avoid spoilers.

So the consensus is you do not need to have played the games to get/enjoy the show, right? I've never played but am at least familiar with it, and have been trying to avoid reading too much about the show to avoid spoilers.
My wife didn't know anything about the games, but has enjoyed it more than she thought she would. There are some small details that are like Easter eggs for those who played the games, but nothing necessary to have a good time.

My wife didn't know anything about the games, but has enjoyed it more than she thought she would. There are some small details that are like Easter eggs for those who played the games, but nothing necessary to have a good time.
Yup, exactly this. They explain most of the major stuff going on throughout the course of the show, but there are smaller things that won't make sense unless you've played the games.

I know we talked about it the other day, but I just remembered one of the game-y things in the first episode. When the attack is going on, one of the guys uses an inhaler and one of the vault dwellers goes "Oh shit!" I'm sure those not familiar were probably wondering why that guy was so concerned with someone alleviating their asthma symptoms. In reality the dude's getting high and about to go nuts.

Last edited:
Back