Television

Oh man, X-Men '97...that theme song just hit me right in the nostalgia. The animation style is great too. Perfect throwback, but with more flair.
I have ESPN on in the other room while I work and they keep running commercials for it. Every time that guitar lick kicks in from the theme song I immediately look up form my computer.

So I was gonna jump into Three Body Problem and I still likely will but I didn’t realize until listening to The Watch last weekend that the Apple TV+ new Lincoln Assassination series Manhunt was a David Simon project to I think I will be checking out that first.
I'm really enjoying Manhunt!

The books gave me a lot to think about ideas-wise, and I loved them for it, but characterization was definitely not their strong suit.
My hot take is despite the lack of characterization there's still plenty to be said in those books about love, feelings, and what makes us human. Kinda like Dune, it operates with wide-lens panoramas and tight close-ups with little in-between.

I am curious how the next seasons (if they come) will hash out; it's clear some of the characters in s1 are meant to serve as analogs for characters who only show up in book 2 or 3, and maybe that'll result in a fuller, more cohesive story. IMO they should've kept the cast smaller, beefed up the personal drama/characterization, and made it more of an anthology-type show; the book introduces and dispenses with characters as the story/science requires, and that could've been a feature rather than a bug (you could get some bigger names or more skilled performers off the smaller commitment).

The Netflix Documentary about the recording of “We Are The World”, The Greatest Night In Pop is pretty magical.
It's such a wonderful time capsule. That song was a great timestamp in my life. I can remember how much everyone got wrapped up in it. My elementary school had an assembly where kids got parts and everyone got to sing it. My poor buddy got the Cyndi Lauper part and we never let him live that down. Such a seminal moment and went towards a good cause. You can debate the true impact but it really showed how people could connect through music.

I really enjoyed 3 Body Problem. I never read the books so I have no comparison but as a show I thought they did a really good job. I hope it’s popular enough to justify Netflix finishing out the story.

Back