Sutherland Club House

Raw dogging, white gloves....y'all seem to like your Sutherlands a little too much...
There is good reason to love Sutherland gear, it’s fucking great, bulletproof stuff. Colorado is dry and static electricity is its second name and where I owned two Sutherland pieces without problems. Change settings with confidence without any extra precautions.

There is good reason to love Sutherland gear, it’s fucking great, bulletproof stuff. Colorado is dry and static electricity is its second name and where I owned two Sutherland pieces without problems. Change settings with confidence without any extra precautions.
The joke was: horny.

I always touch the metal side of the Insight before changing settings. Never had a problem or heard of one. Do unplug the unit before taking off the cover.

Anyone here use/used the VM95/VM540ML with the Insight? Capacitance is at 220pf on the pre alone and the cartridge is alleged to be very bright over 200pf.

Alternatively, any MI/MC or MM that are less sensitive to capacitance that folks have had good experiences with on their Sutherlands?

Anyone here use/used the VM95/VM540ML with the Insight? Capacitance is at 220pf on the pre alone and the cartridge is alleged to be very bright over 200pf.

Alternatively, any MI/MC or MM that are less sensitive to capacitance that folks have had good experiences with on their Sutherlands?
I'm new to the Insight as well, and am running the VM95ML on it currently. I set it up by using this guide, https://www.audioadvice.com/sutherland-setup-guide. I did find 45dB a little too bright/harsh. I moved down to 40dB and it's better. Loading is set to 47k.

VM95ML Specs

I'm using a LOMC on my main system with the 20/20 and it handles it with no issue. Sounds excellent. The Sutherland is very versatile.

I’ve used the Ortofon 2M Blue and the Nagaoka MP-300 without excessive brightness. I used them with BJC LC-1 interconnects that have about 50 pF.

Does Ron advise any break in time with these?

I set the gain at 40 and ohms at 47k for my 2M Bronze, that’s probably the default for MM?

Wondering if there’s anything I ought to be mindful of in these early goings or any tips/tricks, mistakes to avoid, etc?

Hook it up, plug it in and enjoy the music. It sounds great out of the box. If you hear improvements with time consider it a bonus. It does have a lot of capacitors in it and they do take some time to form to maximum performance. Don’t worry, be happy. 👍

Hook it up, plug it in and enjoy the music. It sounds great out of the box. If you hear improvements with time consider it a bonus. It does have a lot of capacitors in it and they do take some time to form to maximum performance. Don’t worry, be happy. 👍
Yeah only played a little bit just to confirm everything is working. Gonna go run an errand and let everything get up to ambient temp (ice cold from being on a truck). I’ll probably track hours for the first like 25-50 just because I’m a nightmare person.

I started tracking hours on my new cart and discovered very quickly that I am not a responsible enough person to pay attention to tracking hours on my new cart.
I need like, a cart intern.

It’s an utter ridiculous and thankless task. The table that I’d love to buy, and that costs more than the rest of my system combined, has an onboard cartridge hours counter…

It’s an utter ridiculous and thankless task. The table that I’d love to buy, and that costs more than the rest of my system combined, has an onboard cartridge hours counter…
Yeah like it's really because I want to get an idea where I'm at. Like I'm fairly certain I replaced the 2M Black stylus far before I needed to. It was a good 2.5 to 3 years but I don't really spin more than a day a week so I just want to get an idea where I'm at.

Yeah like it's really because I want to get an idea where I'm at. Like I'm fairly certain I replaced the 2M Black stylus far before I needed to. It was a good 2.5 to 3 years but I don't really spin more than a day a week so I just want to get an idea where I'm at.

Yeah that’s fair but I’d bet money on the best judgement being your ears and that when the sound begins to drop off that’s the time.

Also I’m guessing that because you really clean your records well and keep on top of stylus cleaning that your styli will last well beyond the quoted hours which are likely to be on the conservative side.

Back