Sutherland Club House

The 20/20 has landed! Thanks @GStephenH ! Anybody know the loading specs off the top of their head for a MoFi Mastertracker cart? And loading specs for the SAE1000E for my insight?
47k for MM and HOMC carts. 40/46db gain should both work fine, though I would lean toward 46db and put a bit less load on your amp.

Thanks! Also seemingly dumb question… but when looking at the back, I’m assuming the input and output on the right are for right channel and left are for left channel?
Yep. The 20/20 is two entirely separate mono boards with only the chassis making it a single unit. The layout can be a little irritating to use with certain interconnects, but most will allow you to split them far enough to attach to both sides.

Yep. The 20/20 is two entirely separate mono boards with only the chassis making it a single unit. The layout can be a little irritating to use with certain interconnects, but most will allow you to split them far enough to attach to both sides.
Ya —inputs/outputs just aren’t marked right/left so wasn’t sure if it mattered

For those of you with an Insight, what did you move from? I have a Parasound XRM which is *fine* and I'm in no rush to move on from it. But, my phono stage is probably the last element in my system I can improve upon without spending ludicrous amounts of money. This is a move that's a ways away--I've gotta pay off new speakers first--so I'm mostly just curious how stark a change it was or wasn't? In other words, if you had a $500 or less phono stage, and you went to an Insight, was it a big enough leap that you felt the purchase was justified?

For those of you with an Insight, what did you move from? I have a Parasound XRM which is *fine* and I'm in no rush to move on from it. But, my phono stage is probably the last element in my system I can improve upon without spending ludicrous amounts of money. This is a move that's a ways away--I've gotta pay off new speakers first--so I'm mostly just curious how stark a change it was or wasn't? In other words, if you had a $500 or less phono stage, and you went to an Insight, was it a big enough leap that you felt the purchase was justified?
I moved from the Parasound Zphono USB to the Insight. It was a huge leap in clarity, noise and tonality. Never regretted it, especially since I was able to get the the Insight used at a discount off retail.

By doing so, I was able to realistically open up to MC carts; the Zphono was too noisy and too limited to do a decent job with LOMC carts.

I moved from the Parasound Zphono USB to the Insight. It was a huge leap in clarity, noise and tonality. Never regretted it, especially since I was able to get the the Insight used at a discount off retail.

By doing so, I was able to realistically open up to MC carts; the Zphono was too noisy and too limited to do a decent job with LOMC carts.
Never found my XRM to be noisy. Not sure how much of a change it is from the USB, but I know a lot of impressions of it suggested it's a relatively close baby brother of the JC3 Jr sonically.

Maybe I'll see if I can find a local dealer to let me home audition one.

I had an Insight for a couple of years. Loved it so much I went for a Duo, which I still have.

I before that I’d had an iFi Phono 2. It sounded great but was as reliable as a condom with holes poked it to it. I went from that to a Sutherland Vibe. I kept the Vibe for a couple of weeks but it just never gelled in my system. I returned it for the Insight. The Insight is 85-90% of the Duo for less than half the money.

I used a Musical Fidelity LX-LPS before I got an Insight. That Musical Fidelity was pretty nice, but I'm thrilled with the Insight. It is much more quiet, my house seems to have some noise phantoms in it, and the Insight removed them. Exorcized them away. I also wanted to run a Grado woodie low output, and the Insight has most every cartridge out there covered with loading and gain settings.

Even when really pushing the volume, there really isn't any noise behind the music, it's just dead quiet, even at high gain settings. I run a Grado Platinum 3 at 55db of gain, and even when cranking it, it's quiet in the background.

Highly recommended!

I have developed an incorrigible hum in my system in the past few months when using a SUT with the integrated amp phono. Thinking seriously tonight about reinstalling the Insight as I never had hum issues with it.

I used a Musical Fidelity LX-LPS before I got an Insight. That Musical Fidelity was pretty nice, but I'm thrilled with the Insight. It is much more quiet, my house seems to have some noise phantoms in it, and the Insight removed them. Exorcized them away. I also wanted to run a Grado woodie low output, and the Insight has most every cartridge out there covered with loading and gain settings.

Even when really pushing the volume, there really isn't any noise behind the music, it's just dead quiet, even at high gain settings. I run a Grado Platinum 3 at 55db of gain, and even when cranking it, it's quiet in the background.

Highly recommended!
Having owned the Sutherland 20/20 and the Duo I can say from experience that Ron Sutherland is a phono stage genius. From the Vibe to the Loco every step in his line is superb and a bargain as well.
I love my Aesthetix Rhea Signature with its ten tubes but will soon be playing around with a Little Loco mk2 and a rewound low impedance Benz Ruby Z to introduce myself to the world of transimpedance phonography. Like @Mather I find that tubes can be a source of dyspepsia. Sutherland products can be a set and forget it source of great pleasure.

Last edited:
Having owned the Sutherland 20/20 and the Duo I can say from experience that Ron Sutherland is a phono stage genius. From the Vibe to the Loco every step in his line is superb and a bargain as well.
I love my Aesthetix Rhea Signature with its ten tubes but will soon be playing around with a Little Loco mk2 and a rewound low impedance Benz Ruby Z to introduce myself to the world of trans impedance phonography. Like @Mather I find that tubes can be a source of dyspepsia. Sutherland products can be a set and forget it source of great pleasure.
I have an Insight and don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. I love the set it and forget it nature of the Sutherland.

Back