Sutherland Club House

Guys, I'm a complete idiot.

My LPS arrived for the 20/20. I had planned to rearrange/relocate/clean my equipment. In doing so prior to incorporating the LPS and failing to take pictures, I've completely forgotten how my cables were connected. 🙄

Would any kind soul take pity on me and graciously help keep my windows in tact before I foolishly throw something through them? Stayed up until 2am trying to figure this out and strangely I'm at a loss. 😞

Components are in my profile. If it were your kit, how might you maximize the cable chain? The only thing I have currently implemented as of last week is the Wiim Pro Plus (optical from DAC) until I can locate a formidable MiUSA option.

Turning 50 soon, so I guess there's some truth to your memory being the first to go. Humbly, I need help.

Guys, I'm a complete idiot.

My LPS arrived for the 20/20. I had planned to rearrange/relocate/clean my equipment. In doing so prior to incorporating the LPS and failing to take pictures, I've completely forgotten how my cables were connected. 🙄

Would any kind soul take pity on me and graciously help keep my windows in tact before I foolishly throw something through them? Stayed up until 2am trying to figure this out and strangely I'm at a loss. 😞

Components are in my profile. If it were your kit, how might you maximize the cable chain? The only thing I have currently implemented as of last week is the Wiim Pro Plus (optical from DAC) until I can locate a formidable MiUSA option.

Turning 50 soon, so I guess there's some truth to your memory being the first to go. Humbly, I need help.
Did you look at the Sutherland 20/20 manual on their site?

I think the important thing is that you have a short, well-shielded interconnect between your table and the 20/20.
Agreed and that's certainly the objective, only I seem to have lost common sense overnight.

Not sure why or how, but I'm failing to comprehend where cables specifically need to go between these three four devices for a proper analog signal.

1. HPA-4
2. DAC3 B
3. 20/20
4. VPI Classic 3

In anyone's attempt(s) to help, please assume I've utilized balanced XLR connections wherever possible. For instance, XLR is not possible out of the VPI.

What have I done to my brain?! 😕🙄

Agreed and that's certainly the objective, only I seem to have lost common sense overnight.

Not sure why or how, but I'm failing to comprehend where cables specifically need to go between these three four devices for a proper analog signal.

1. HPA-4
2. DAC3 B
3. 20/20
4. VPI Classic 3

In anyone's attempt(s) to help, please assume I've utilized balanced XLR connections wherever possible. For instance, XLR is not possible out of the VPI.

Don't feel bad, if I unplugged everything I'd probably be at this stage as well. Forgive me for not knowing some of the abbreviations, what type of amp do you have?

Don't feel bad, if I unplugged everything I'd probably be at this stage as well. Forgive me for not knowing some of the abbreviations, what type of amp do you have?
No forgiveness necessary, and thank you. Was trying to occupy the least amount of space in the signature field.

I have the following kit:
(Pre) Benchmark HPA-4
(DAC) Benchmark DAC3 B
(Amp) Benchmark AHB2 Monoblocks
(Phono Pre) Sutherland 20/20 with LPS
(TT) VPI Classic 3
(Cart) Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC ⭐ low output

Recently added Wiim Pro Plus I received for Christmas, until I can acquire a Made in USA equivalent. Incorporated that last night and successfully have an audible digital signal. 👍

Only, I love listening to records more and have been without them for awhile as I've attempted to destroy the "ground loop" issue within my VPI... so I'm anxious to get back to vinyl.

Cleaning implies not only physically but in this case was an attempt to manage the web of cords/cables. Albeit overdue and absolutely necessary, I've created a bigger problem. 😔

1. HPA-4
2. DAC3 B
3. 20/20
4. VPI Classic 3

I would assume the turntable into the 20/20 into one preamp in and the dac into another preamp in

Okay so VPI RCA out into Sutherland RCA in
Sutherland RCA out into HPA-4 RCA in 3
Subwoofer RCA into HPA-4 analog Out (5)
DAC XLR out into HPA XLR in 1
WIIM PRO RCA out into DAC RCA in

Did I miss anything?

HPA XLR out to power amps and to speakers from there. I think that's everything, in the right order and direction?

Okay so VPI RCA out into Sutherland RCA in
Sutherland RCA out into HPA-4 RCA in 3
Subwoofer RCA into HPA-4 analog Out (5)
DAC XLR out into HPA XLR in 1
WIIM PRO RCA out into DAC RCA in

Did I miss anything?

HPA XLR out to power amps and to speakers from there. I think that's everything, in the right order and direction?
Brilliant, will try this when I get home from church.

Just based on what you've offered here and going from memory, I feel like I reversed one of these connections.

Will confirm this afternoon. Please stay tuned.

SOMEBODY CHECK MY WORK
I don't see anything missing or going the wrong direction.

@spydrwebb44 Remember to keep consistency between which are the "left" vs "right" cables during your hookup too. You can check you've got the left and right done correctly with the track "L/R" by Nilfur Yanya (or prob some audiophile test tone track)

SOMEBODY CHECK MY WORK
Your directions were correct, please allow me to buy you a cup of tea or joe via Venmo.

Can't be certain but I believe there were two errors. My L/R were definitely switched on the 20/20, which seems easy to do since the RCA jacks are all white. Also, one of the cables was not completely seated on the DAC so it wasn't making the connection.

THANK YOU, all. Now, I just need to defeat this VPI ground loop with their tech support once they return from holiday.

Happy New Year, folks. 🥳

Back