Strange Musical Tales: The September 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

Day 30 - STRANGER THINGS (Matt Duffer & Ross Duffer, 2016)
Play something from the 80s and/or inspired by the 80s and/or that features bicycles and/or anything at all relating to any cosmic horror theme covered during the month and/or what the hell, aliens.

"80s Child" - In Three Acts (2009) - Adrian Vedady

Adrian Vedady is a Montreal-based jazz bass player. He gave me this disc at a show and I love it so much.

ALSO, do those strange angles on the cover look like they may open up a gateway to a queer realm dominated by strange cyclopean structures that would drive one's mind to madness? Maybe...

P9300987.JPG

Last edited:
Stranger Things draws inspiration from many corners of fiction, but its creators admitted a Lovecraftian influence in the idea of the being that seems responsible for the events of the story – the Shadow Monster, an inter-dimensional entity of immense power that is beyond human comprehension.
Play something from the 80s and/or inspired by the 80s and/or that features bicycles and/or anything at all relating to any cosmic horror theme covered during the month and/or what the hell, aliens.

From the 80s ✔️
Related to other cosmic horror themes ✔️
Aliens ✔️
No bikes unfortunately

Ennio Morricone - The Thing

IMG_5770.jpeg

Thanks @Turbo !
Super fun!

Stranger Things draws inspiration from many corners of fiction, but its creators admitted a Lovecraftian influence in the idea of the being that seems responsible for the events of the story – the Shadow Monster, an inter-dimensional entity of immense power that is beyond human comprehension.

The Smiths "Hatful Of Hollow"
(1984 Rough Trade; 2012 Rhino reissue)
From the 80's. The song "This Charming Man" starts with the lyric "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate". There's also a track called "Handsome Devil" and the track "What Difference Does It Make?" includes the lyric "The devil will find work for idle hands to do". The devil and hell are themes covered during the month. Finally, Morrissey is a old hateful curmudgeon, so I'm certain he hates aliens too.

IMG_0480.JPG

@Yer Ol' Uncle D , @gafacaode , @avecigrec , @imtheocean , @Wicked Dreamer , @TenderLovingKiller® , @cul8er , @LeSamourai , @ranbalam , @Wes C. Attle , @Hemotep , @BazookaTooth , @sahomerrocks , @Rowan , @jfitzy , @Potato-Socks

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Thanks for playing along! I very much appreciate whatever time you had to donate to the challenge. It was a ton of fun for me to see how you all interpreted the themes.

A; The creator of next's month's vinyl spin challenge.
Q: Who is @Hemotep ?

See you all there.

Last edited:
@Yer Ol' Uncle D , @avecigrec , @imtheocean , @Wicked Dreamer , @TenderLovingKiller® , @cul8er , @LeSamourai , @ranbalam , @Wes C. Attle , @Hemotep , @BazookaTooth , @sahomerrocks , @Rowan , @jfitzy , @Potato-Socks

Thanks for playing along! I very much appreciate whatever time you had to donate to the challenge. It was a ton of fun for me to see how you all interpreted the themes.

See you all there.
Hey now!😆

What do you mean? You're in there. You always were. I swear.

optical-illusion-spiral.gif

@Yer Ol' Uncle D , @gafacaode , @avecigrec , @imtheocean , @Wicked Dreamer , @TenderLovingKiller® , @cul8er , @LeSamourai , @ranbalam , @Wes C. Attle , @Hemotep , @BazookaTooth , @sahomerrocks , @Rowan , @jfitzy , @Potato-Socks

See you all there.
Sorry I dropped out, my Dad unexpectedly passed away and I was busy dealing the fallout for most of the month and haven’t really spun any albums since aI found out.

It was an excellent challenge though, I enjoyed following along and checking out other peoples selections nonetheless.

Sorry I dropped out, my Dad unexpectedly passed away and I was busy dealing the fallout for most of the month and haven’t really spun any albums since aI found out.

It was an excellent challenge though, I enjoyed following along and checking out other peoples selections nonetheless.

I didn't realize that happened. So sorry to hear. We're here to spin records with you whenever you can return.

Thanks for a great month, @Turbo! I wasn't able to finish because I got crushed at work this month, but I loved the theme and plan to go back and finish the challenge as soon as I can start spinning more again.

It's almost time for you all to escape the tentacles and meet your demise in next months challenge. Featuring slashers, monsters, and horrors of all sorts, it's a Jeopardy themed Halloween month of fun: This Is Jeopardy! (Halloween Edition): The October 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

Thanks for a great month, @Turbo! I wasn't able to finish because I got crushed at work this month, but I loved the theme and plan to go back and finish the challenge as soon as I can start spinning more again.

It's almost time for you all to escape the tentacles and meet your demise in next months challenge. Featuring slashers, monsters, and horrors of all sorts, it's a Jeopardy themed Halloween month of fun: This Is Jeopardy! (Halloween Edition): The October 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

No worries, I totally understand. Still, I'm honored that you would attempt to finish the challenge anyway! I get alerts anytime someone posts in here, so I'll keep monitoring.

See you in your challenge thread!

Thank you @Turbo for such a tantalizing month. It definitely took some turns I would not have expected to take thanks to those tentacles and their ominous reach. Lots of great stories I hope to come back and read sometime too, but this month wasn't that time!

Here's another look at my Cosmic Horrors:

chart (61).png

*Day 2: Sep - Day 2.jpg *Day 7: Sep - Day 7.jpg *Day 18: Sep - Day 18.jpg

Thank you @Turbo for such a tantalizing month. It definitely took some turns I would not have expected to take thanks to those tentacles and their ominous reach. Lots of great stories I hope to come back and read sometime too, but this month wasn't that time!

Here's another look at my Cosmic Horrors:

View attachment 183548

*Day 2: View attachment 183549 *Day 7: View attachment 183550 *Day 18: View attachment 183551

Cheers, man!

Hey, can I give you a tip on how to get those missing pictures into your Ostakon?

When you do a search and and nothing comes up, do this:

1) Search for the image file you want on the web. Isolate the image and copy the URL as you would when you post a linked image here.

2) On Ostrakon, first roll down, menu, switch to "Custom".

3) Paste your image link into the "search" box. Your image should appear.

4) If you're using "Artist" and "Title" in your display, before dragging the image, enter them right away by hand in the "Creator" and "Title" boxes.

5) Drag your image in the correct box.

6) Switch the first roll down menu back to "music" and carry on.

*this works for me on Chrome on my laptop.

Cheers, man!

Hey, can I give you a tip on how to get those missing pictures into your Ostakon?

1) Search for the image file you want on the web. Isolate the image and copy the URL as you would when you post a linked image here.

4) If you're using "Artist" and "Title" in your display, before dragging the image, enter them right away by hand in the "Creator" and "Title" boxes.

What's the url to ostakon?

Cheers, man!

Righteous, thank you!

@gafacaode: Topsters 3

Day 29 - THE THING (John Carpenter, 1982)
Several of Carpenter’s films feature cosmic horror elements. The Thing in particular has elements of At The Mountains of Madness and an invading alien force that can mimic humans and is beyond comprehension.
Play something that mimics or sounds like another song, either as homage, happenstance or flagrant copying and/or play the song that it sounds like and/or play something from an artist that you would not trust in real life and/or features aliens.

New Order - Technique

The Cure and New Order had songs sound suspiciously similar on more than one occasion (for example, "Blue Monday" and "The Walk"), which is understandable given the styles they were working in at the same time. In this case, the music of "All the Way" sounds a lot like "Just Like Heaven."

20230930_153524.jpg

Back