Strange Musical Tales: The September 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

Day 30 - STRANGER THINGS (Matt Duffer & Ross Duffer, 2016)
Stranger Things draws inspiration from many corners of fiction, but its creators admitted a Lovecraftian influence in the idea of the being that seems responsible for the events of the story – the Shadow Monster, an inter-dimensional entity of immense power that is beyond human comprehension.
Play something from the 80s and/or inspired by the 80s and/or that features bicycles and/or anything at all relating to any cosmic horror theme covered during the month and/or what the hell, aliens.

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything

Released 1988.

Thanks to @Turbo for a great month of tentacles!

20230930_162112.jpg

Day 20 - THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME (Lovecraft, 1934)
The story introduces the Ythians, an alien race that can travel through space and time by switching bodies with other beings. They are long extinct but continue to persist through human minds.
Play something that references time and/or the past and/or the future and/or aliens.

The String Cheese Incident - Lend Me A Hand

Features the song "Way Back When"
IMG20231001131041.jpg

Fell behind but will try to finish out the challenge today!

Day 28 - THE DREAM-QUEST OF UNKNOWN KADATH(Lovecraft, 1927)
Play something that includes a recurring character, theme and/or motif and/or a recurring song and/or mentions a city you particularly appreciate returning to.

Cattle Decapitation - The Anthropocene Extinction

The entire album centers around the theme of pollution and humanity’s destructive impact on the environment.

IMG_4758.jpeg

Play something from the 80s and/or inspired by the 80s and/or that features bicycles and/or anything at all relating to any cosmic horror theme covered during the month and/or what the hell, aliens.

Just Another Day kicks this album off and is featured in Season 2, Episode 1 of Stranger Things. I'm sure I had this on my walkman in 85 riding my bicycle around since they were by far my favorite band at the time.

Thanks for the fantastic month @Turbo !

Oingo Boingo ~ Dead Man's Party

IMG_3737.jpeg

Day 29 - THE THING (John Carpenter, 1982)
Play something that mimics or sounds like another song, either as homage, happenstance or flagrant copying and/or play the song that it sounds like and/or play something from an artist that you would not trust in real life and/or features aliens.

Rage Against the Machine - Self-titled

The opening riff of “Wake Up” sounds very similar to Led Zeppelin’s famous “Kashmir” riff.

IMG_4759.jpeg

Day 21 - HELLBOY (Mike Mignola, 1994)
Hellboy draws inspiration from cosmic horror on many levels, whether it is the grotesque creatures, Great Old Ones, the gothic themes, connections to other worlds and dimensions and yes, lots and lots of drawings of tentacles.
Play something that references hell and/or demons and/or the occult and/or frogs and/or something with tentacles.

The Neptune Power Federation - Le Demon De L'Amour

IMG20231002130315.jpg

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

What better way to end this month with a song referencing the great old one himself.

IMG_4760.jpeg

Day 22 - FROM BEYOND (Lovecraft, 1920)
The narrator relates his meeting with scientist Crawford Tillinghast, who created an electronic device that emits resonance waves allowing people to perceive other dimensions.
Play something that relates to science and/or includes an electronic instrument and/or a theremin.

Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

Screenshot_2023-10-02-18-52-29-48_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

Day 23 - GHOSTBUSTERS (Ivan Reitman, 1984)
Ghostbusters includes several cosmic horror tropes, notably the idea of an apartment building built by an insane architect as a gateway for the multi-dimensional being Gozer. But the protagonists actually win in this story.
Play something that references or reminds you of marshmallows and/or slime and/or ghosts and/or New York and/or features a cool car and/or anything related to Bill Murray.

I'm assuming that if Jesus built the hot rod that it would at least have a unique power to it. Like a water to wine tap in the backseat.
IMG20231003105856.jpg

Day 24 - THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE (Lovecraft, 1932)
Story of a mathematics student that rents a room in the attic of the “Witch House”, a building with a mysterious past. The protagonist discovers that the attic room allows for trans-dimensional travel.
Play something that references a house, preferably haunted and/or a room and/or landlords and/or tenants and/or mathematics and/or unusual dimensions and/or play something from a 10” record.

I'm just gonna go ahead and award myself bonus points for this one since it's in the shape of a skull.

Black Label Society - Sonic Brew 20th Anniversary Blend

IMG20231003115243.jpg

Day 25 - THE COLOUR OUT OF SPACE (Lovecraft, 1927)
A meteorite crashed in the hills 50 years prior, poisoning the vegetation and animals. A sample from the meteorite obtained by a scientist emits a strange colour…
Play something that references colours and/or is pressed on multi-colored vinyl and/or is trippy and/or relates to aliens.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3001

Trippy, pressed on multicolored vinyl, references colors on remixes of "Black Hot Soup" and "Blue Morpho".
IMG20231003121155.jpg

Day 24 - THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE (Lovecraft, 1932)
Story of a mathematics student that rents a room in the attic of the “Witch House”, a building with a mysterious past. The protagonist discovers that the attic room allows for trans-dimensional travel.
Play something that references a house, preferably haunted and/or a room and/or landlords and/or tenants and/or mathematics and/or unusual dimensions and/or play something from a 10” record.

The Hot Rats "Turn Ons"
(2009 Fat Possum; 2020 RSD expanded reissue)
Album of cover versions that names a room in "Mirror In The Bathroom". "Up The Junction" also mentions moving into the basement, which both is a room and alludes to the idea of being a tenant somewhere. "Bike" refers to "a room of musical tunes". There is also technically another Tennant (as in Neil Tennant), as Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls" is covered. Plus, this is on 10".

View attachment 183070

So fun!

IMG_5903.jpeg

Back