STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

I didn't realize the actor who plays Baylon had passed away in real life. He's becoming one of the more interesting villains in the Star Wars universe.

Being sick the last days npmadd me binge through highlights from essentials more easily.
What I liked really well is the Characterization of the ghosts Crew, their stories and interactions. That's where rebels shines for me. I also like thrawn as a villain and him bringing some tactical manouvering to the battle that was completely missing from clone wars. There were some cool Story arcs with mauls return and end and ahsokas confrontation with vader. The backs and forths with thrawn in season 3 with the counter spionage thing was well done. Also the mandalore plot gave some background iwish i had before watching mando.I know it's supposed to rather be a kids show but overall the writing was not good. The empire seems to have a major human recourse problem because except thrawn everyone else running a command is utterly incompetent. Also after season 2 the writers obviously had no ideas what to do with vader and the inquisitors so they just never appear again which is even more surprising given the turn season 4 takes.
This might be a hot take given some internet reviews I just skimmed through but I hated season 4 ( beginning with the strange bendu storyline in seaon 3). The whole thing with spirit animals, force sensitive wolves traveling through the planet, time traveling jedi temples was too much on the mystery side for me. The main character death came as no surprise because it was so obvious in the episodebecause everyone was having his big farewell moment with him in the episode. And his death was completely forced with the empire working completely against their own interest in this case.
And again, the empire tries to uncover this big time traveling jedi temple that is connected to he mortis legend and the empire does not have vader who was at mortis nor his inquisitors close while the two jedis that made most trouble for the empire at yhat time were known to be around regularly. So, yes, Sorry but season 4 was not good, so I'm alittle afraid going into ahsoka if that's really season 5 of rebels
Yeah I'd have to agree with you there

I have pretty similar sentiments regarding Rebels. The best part (other than small scenes like the last one I posted) is the interactions between the Ghost crew. They made a good decision in starting small, working on characterization and depth, before adding in more pieces of the galaxy as a whole. I liked the episodes with Saw Guerera, where it ties into Rogue One and starts to make the formation of the Rebel alliance in Canon make sense.

But theres a lot more I don't like. You see what I meant when I said this was more "made for kids" than TCW. There's a feeling of less logic to characters actions, and a lack of depth beyond "Hey, we need to do this thing so we're gonna go to this place and do it!". It was on Disney XD after all. This was also Filoni's first project after the canon reset, where he could really start doing anything he wanted, and it shows.All the force sensitive animals, space whales that can travel to diffrent galaxies, time travelling temples etc. The whole Ahsoka/world between worlds thing really pissed me off, because here you have Filoni putting time travel into star wars, not for a grand story, but so he can reach in and grab his Mary-Sue character out of a guaranteed death situation. The amount of leeway Filoni's favorite characters get is exhausting, I don't know if you saw the episodes where Rex and Wolf somehow got their inhibitor chips out, didn't kill any jedi (they're still the good guys!) and are now still somehow in fighting shape even though they should be old, decrepit men due to the excellerated aging.

Thrawn is the best and worst parts of the show. The level of strategy he brings he is MUCH needed, but it's such a sad bastardization of the character it kind of falls flat. In the Heir to the Empire novels, Thrawn is a master strategist who almost singlehandedly brings the New Republic to his knees. As you get further into the books his plans start to come into fruition and you get "holy shit" moments as it all comes together, really making him feel like the master strategist he is. In Rebels, he's chasing around a ship full of mostly teenagers, getting outsmarted week after week, only for him to go back to his seemingly endless drawingboard and come up with a plan for next week. Makes him feel like a cartoon (pun not intended).

Reactions: Jan
Thrawn is the best and worst parts of the show. The level of strategy he brings he is MUCH needed, but it's such a sad bastardization of the character it kind of falls flat. In the Heir to the Empire novels, Thrawn is a master strategist who almost singlehandedly brings the New Republic to his knees. As you get further into the books his plans start to come into fruition and you get "holy shit" moments as it all comes together, really making him feel like the master strategist he is. In Rebels, he's chasing around a ship full of mostly teenagers, getting outsmarted week after week, only for him to go back to his seemingly endless drawingboard and come up with a plan for next week. Makes him feel like a cartoon (pun not intended).
The character hat m e interested in the thrawn novels. I did not have the feeling of him getting outsmarted that much but having his plans being foiled buy the other commanders being completely incompetent.
I liked how they presented Saw guerera. The effects of the clone wars was visible on him.
I like ahsoka tano as a character as well, but it would have been so much easier to write her back to life. They did better jobs with maul and even boba. I still don'tknow what the age of the audience is suposed to be because it would surely be to violent for my 7yo and probablymy 9yo, too

The character hat m e interested in the thrawn novels. I did not have the feeling of him getting outsmarted that much but having his plans being foiled buy the other commanders being completely incompetent.
I liked how they presented Saw guerera. The effects of the clone wars was visible on him.
I like ahsoka tano as a character as well, but it would have been so much easier to write her back to life. They did better jobs with maul and even boba. I still don'tknow what the age of the audience is suposed to be because it would surely be to violent for my 7yo and probablymy 9yo, too
If you ever want to read Legends Thrawn, the "Heir to the Empire" trilogy is the place to start. Along with the Dark Empire comics, it's what really kickstarted the EU, and is probably the single most important piece of non-film Star Wars media. It just lays the groundwork for everything that came afterward.

The Canon Thrawn novels are also pretty great. They'd already decided they were gonna bring him into Canon at this point (through Rebels), and they offered the original author, Timothy Zahn, the chance to author new books about the character. Since then he's cranked out 6 books about the character, and they all are generally regarded as some of the best novels of the new canon. Zahn writes them so that they fit into Legends continuity as much as possible, and in doing so really makes it so everyone, of all levels of EU knowledge, can enjoy reading them.

Lars Mikkelsen is awesome.
It's fun to see the Rebels characters in live action but for Ahsoka the villains are definitely a lot more interesting in this series. I want to know more about what's happening with Baylon and Thrawn than I do Ahsoka and Sabine. (I'll take more storylines with those rock turtle creatures though!)

Ostrander is the man. Love all that DC stuff (The Spectre!) and his Star Wars material has that same dark introspection aspect that's so emblematic of his work. He wrote a good chunk of the "Republic" series (the flagship prequel era series coming out at the same time as the films), and is a large reason that run is so highly regarded, even managing to get some of his ideas into the new canon (see: Dark Disciple).

Legacy is so different than everything else, it's like being dropped into post-apocalyptic Star Wars. At first it's kind of jarring: how did we get from The New Republic, to a galaxy with 3 equal ruling factions (one of which is an Imperial remnant?); then the more you read Post-ROTJ things start to fall into place and it starts to make sense. It connects a ton to past work too; one major character in the series is revealed to be a relatively minor character that Ostrander introduced waaaay earlier in the Republic series, and was subsequently included in a bunch of novels. Ah man it's so rewarding.

Just read the first Dawn of the Jedi arc. Great stuff. Very excited to get to the next one.

Just read the first Dawn of the Jedi arc. Great stuff. Very excited to get to the next one.
Fantastic stuff, it’s so incredibly out there for Star Wars. That’s one series that was ongoing at the time of the Disney purchase, so unfortunately it all had to wrap up really abruptly.

But I adore everything about pre Old Republic era star wars. I can remember playing Knights of the Old Republic for the first time at age 10 or so and being blown away by all the lore being thrown at me. Ancient sith empires, legends of fallen Jedi, the Mandalorian Wars…I ate it all up. I’m extremely excited for Marvels upcoming omnibus for the Tales of the Jedi series; sold all my tpb’s in anticipation. That’s one great thing to come from the Disney acquisition; we’re getting all these hard-to-collect series in oversized hardcover format. Only problem is I want to buy them all.

Finished Ashoka and quite ejoyed it, though I do not find it as strong as andor but a lot better than book of Boba and better than kenobi . So roughly on a Level with the mandalorian for me although that one excited me more in the beginning because it was tge first oc the live action star wars series. Definitely a lot better than rebels season 4 although it pretty much is rebels season 5.

i am very glad they dud not fall for the time travel bullshit of the world between worlds and kept it basically as an internal /dream sequence to have some ahsoka-Anakin fan service. The villains were the highlight of the series, especially baylan and his apprentice, buth although thrawn and the witches.Sabine Wren did not really convince me and her turn into a mandalorian-jedi padawan felt forced ,probably meant to distinguish her from all tge other mandalorians around. Also her whole character developement was not written very well. I did not particularly like the ezra bridger character as well. But overall it was an interesting plot with good action scenes. So now they probably have to continuethe story to get both thrawn and the heroes out of the way before the rise of the second order in the sequel trilogy.

Finished Ashoka and quite ejoyed it, though I do not find it as strong as andor but a lot better than book of Boba and better than kenobi . So roughly on a Level with the mandalorian for me although that one excited me more in the beginning because it was tge first oc the live action star wars series. Definitely a lot better than rebels season 4 although it pretty much is rebels season 5.

i am very glad they dud not fall for the time travel bullshit of the world between worlds and kept it basically as an internal /dream sequence to have some ahsoka-Anakin fan service. The villains were the highlight of the series, especially baylan and his apprentice, buth although thrawn and the witches.Sabine Wren did not really convince me and her turn into a mandalorian-jedi padawan felt forced ,probably meant to distinguish her from all tge other mandalorians around. Also her whole character developement was not written very well. I did not particularly like the ezra bridger character as well. But overall it was an interesting plot with good action scenes. So now they probably have to continuethe story to get both thrawn and the heroes out of the way before the rise of the second order in the sequel trilogy.
100% agree with everything you see.

I have no idea what they do with Baylan from here. He was such a compelling character who obviously is supposed to play a bigger part. But I can't see him being re-cast and I don't want a wonky CGI recreation like Tarkin.

I have no idea what they do with Baylan from here. He was such a compelling character who obviously is supposed to play a bigger part. But I can't see him being re-cast and I don't want a wonky CGI recreation like Tarkin.
Withouth wanting to take anything from Ray Stevensons great performance, this case i´d actually prefer a recast to follow the further journey of the character, because he was the most nuanced and intersesting character in the series and i would like to follow the story further

Withouth wanting to take anything from Ray Stevensons great performance, this case i´d actually prefer a recast to follow the further journey of the character, because he was the most nuanced and intersesting character in the series and i would like to follow the story further
Agree. The first 6 episodes before Disney Disney’d the last two were my fave things they’ve done since Rogue One and an interesting concept baddy helped.

Although at first I didn’t realise it was Ray Stevenson and remember instead thinking ‘Pacey Witter is looking hench these days’

Back