Spin The Black Circle - The Pearl Jam Thread

I don't often read reviews at all these days, let alone reviews of something I haven't heard yet, but I really enjoyed reading this one.

This was a great read, thank you. They are in a unique position for sure as so many of their contemporaries will forever be associated with youth, PJ is one of the few big acts of their scene that have had to tackle aging, surviving and trying to maintain relevancy. This last sentence makes me optimistic about that.

Yet some will hear all they need: a new Pearl Jam album, delivered as they approach their final act, sounding like nobody but themselves.

Just back from a Dark Matter listening party. Usually, I prefer a first listen on vinyl, but since a record store 15 minutes from me was doing it, I decided to go.

There were people talking while it was playing, that was frustrating to me. I guess I have to realize that not everyone is as serious about first time hearing an album.

I think some of it is very good, some is meh, some sounds like and EdVed solo album. I know it's going to take a few listens to form a solid opinion...

Got a reminder that its the 16th anniversary of this show. First Eddie solo show I saw, those early tours with Liam Finn were great.

Funny enough, my kid went through all my old concert shirts a few weeks ago and stole a bunch. The 2008 Eddie Vedder tour shirt happened to be the one she picked to wear to school today.

Got a reminder that its the 16th anniversary of this show. First Eddie solo show I saw, those early tours with Liam Finn were great.

Funny enough, my kid went through all my old concert shirts a few weeks ago and stole a bunch. The 2008 Eddie Vedder tour shirt happened to be the one she picked to wear to school today.
Our first EdVed solo show wasn't until later that year in August 2008 at NJ PAC in Newark. He played an unfinished version of Unthought Known that night, telling the story of how he wrote it in his hotel room the night before. When we saw Pearl Jam at Global Citizen Fest in Central Park in 2015(?) he told that same story.

I have a bootleg of that Newark show on one of my old computers - need to dig it out.

a review, spoiled for those waiting (for stevie)

five or so listens and this is a mature band's record that sounds effortlessly made (in a good way) and that i think will be praised quite a bit, but is just not for me. the rockers on here i am in to. the rest, not so much. not yet, anyway... there are probably a couple growers. and i don't think there are any absolute stinkers like future days; won't tell and something special come closest but aren't irredeemable. tons of influences all over this - the cure and u2 are newer ones among the classic petty and springsteen touches - that all blend in with their own sound, so it's a bit of a soup. also, damn you andrew watt for masking what is a very sonically interesting album that has a lot of cool instrumental stuff going on everywhere but is completely obliterated by everything being fucking loud. jesus christ. setting sun, for example, i feel would hit harder with some (any) dynamics. a great headphone album that you won't be able to listen to on headphones without feeling fatigue. this part was expected, unfortunately. anyway, not bad, not great. gigaton is the better record to me, but i may be in the minority there.

a review, spoiled for those waiting (for stevie)

five or so listens and this is a mature band's record that sounds effortlessly made (in a good way) and that i think will be praised quite a bit, but is just not for me. the rockers on here i am in to. the rest, not so much. not yet, anyway... there are probably a couple growers. and i don't think there are any absolute stinkers like future days; won't tell and something special come closest but aren't irredeemable. tons of influences all over this - the cure and u2 are newer ones among the classic petty and springsteen touches - that all blend in with their own sound, so it's a bit of a soup. also, damn you andrew watt for masking what is a very sonically interesting album that has a lot of cool instrumental stuff going on everywhere but is completely obliterated by everything being fucking loud. jesus christ. setting sun, for example, i feel would hit harder with some (any) dynamics. a great headphone album that you won't be able to listen to on headphones without feeling fatigue. this part was expected, unfortunately. anyway, not bad, not great. gigaton is the better record to me, but i may be in the minority there.
Been listening to it since yesterday. I disliked Gigaton major, but I am really liking this.

Last edited:
First listen: I like it. Don't  love it, but I like it well enough. Definitely prefer the belters to the "ballads." Solid Dad Rock.
Agreed on all counts.

Pros: Mike McCready. Love the outtro on Waiting for Stevie. Matt Cameron lets loose too.
Cons: Don't like the production as others have said. No real dynamic shifts or separation of instrumentation. Mikes solos could be pushed out, and I'd love to hear more of what Jeff is doing. And Ed vocally is mixed similar to Earthling where its hard to decipher.

Overall I think its prob the best release since Avocado. There is a sense of urgency on some tracks thats been missing. This will be a fun album for the tour cycle.

Agreed on all counts.

Pros: Mike McCready. Love the outtro on Waiting for Stevie. Matt Cameron lets loose too.
Cons: Don't like the production as others have said. No real dynamic shifts or separation of instrumentation. Mikes solos could be pushed out, and I'd love to hear more of what Jeff is doing. And Ed vocally is mixed similar to Earthling where its hard to decipher.

Overall I think its prob the best release since Avocado. There is a sense of urgency on some tracks thats been missing. This will be a fun album for the tour cycle.
Waiting for Stevie is my favorite track after a couple listens and that outtro is one of the main reasons why.

Back