Spin The Black Circle - The Pearl Jam Thread

And call me crazy, but the original Binaural track list seen below would have been up there with the best albums they ever put out:

"Breakerfall"
"Insignificance"
"Evacuation"
"Letter to the Dead"
Later renamed to "Sad"
"Rival"
"Grievance"
"Light Years"
"Of the Girl"
"Thin Air"
"Nothing as It Seems"
"Fatal"
"Sleight of Hand"
"Soon Forget"
"In the Moonlight"
"Parting Ways"
"Education"

Looks like she got 'em anyway. I guess I should brush up on everything since Yield...

This would be my recommended order to brush up on. Although they won't play much from the top two most likely.

1. Binaural
  2. Riot Act
  3. Self Titled
  4. Lightning Bolt
  5. Gigaton
  6. Backspacer

i'd be very surprised if they play more than 4 songs from these records combined at any given show, and that might even be generous. i hope they do play more- the last tour had them digging deep a little bit, but they weren't really promoting gigaton anymore, either. this time they'll have an album they seem excited about and will still have to make sure to get in 5-6 ten songs a night.

This would be my recommended order to brush up on. Although they won't play much from the top two most likely.

1. Binaural
  2. Riot Act
  3. Self Titled
  4. Lightning Bolt
  5. Gigaton
  6. Backspacer

Hey stupid question. Or maybe not. Is there any chance that the 2xLP version of Yield that VMP did gets a standard release, like on black vinyl.

i think sleight of hand is one of those songs that a headphone listen improves the song quite a bit. there's a lot going on bubbling under the surface. i love the dragging chains sound from the bell shaker (i assume) that runs through the verses, such a great complement to what's being sung.

of the girl is my favorite pearl jam song. live versions these days are so sped up they lose quite a bit of the feel of that great groove.

for me binaural is a lot like no code in that i like most of the songs on an individual basis, but as a whole, an album listen feels a bit of a chore and i'm usually ready to move on before the end of the record.

Agreed, with the added unpopular opinion, I really dislike Sleight of Hand. I find it utterly boring.

its been years since I’ve seen Grievance performed, would love to get that again.
I have to be in the right mood for Sleight of Hand, but overall I'd say I like it. I'll take it over any of Ed's finger picking diddies from Backspacer on..

I have to be in the right mood for Sleight of Hand, but overall I'd say I like it. I'll take it over any of Ed's finger picking diddies from Backspacer on..
I think Avocado was their last great album. I like most of Backspacer, but it's no where near the same level greatness. I don't think I've ever actually spun the replacement Lightning Bolt they sent me (remember all the warping issues) and would probably fail if I had to recite the tracklist. Gigaton got a lot more spins, but many of those were due to covid, as the album came out when we were unable to do much else.

I have heard Dark Matter under 10 times to date, PJRadio is playing it nearly hourly these days, and yet, I haven't really given it a close listen. Ed's vocals are mumbled and muddy sounding to me, I have no idea what he's singing, and tbh, I just haven't cared enough to look at the lyrics to find out. But, those who have heard the album in entirety are saying it's great - we shall see.

I think Avocado was their last great album. I like most of Backspacer, but it's no where near the same level greatness. I don't think I've ever actually spun the replacement Lightning Bolt they sent me (remember all the warping issues) and would probably fail if I had to recite the tracklist. Gigaton got a lot more spins, but many of those were due to covid, as the album came out when we were unable to do much else.

I have heard Dark Matter under 10 times to date, PJRadio is playing it nearly hourly these days, and yet, I haven't really given it a close listen. Ed's vocals are mumbled and muddy sounding to me, I have no idea what he's singing, and tbh, I just haven't cared enough to look at the lyrics to find out. But, those who have heard the album in entirety are saying it's great - we shall see.
I'm on the same page with you. I solid my replacement Lightning Bolt as I had never cracked it open and never needed to. I think their last great album was Binaural and the last PJ album was Riot Act. For me, It's been Eddie and the Pearl Jams since.

I'm hopeful for the new album but Dark Matter sounds like it would have been an awesome song with Chris Cornell singing and not late stage Eddie.

I'm hopeful for the new album but Dark Matter sounds like it would have been an awesome song with Chris Cornell singing and not late stage Eddie.
1000000000%
I heard that it was Matt Cameron who was playing around on the drums and the song was born from that. Musically, I really like everything about the song, except.... Ed's vocals. Chris's vocals on it would be incredible.

Between my husband and me, we went 5 for 5. He won seats for 4 shows: Baltimore, both Philly and MSG 1. I won MSG 2 GA’s. First time either of us has won a nyc 10c draw and also the first time we didn’t win dupes.

My number is better than his since he let his lapse twice, but we are in and couldn’t be happier.
That’s an incredible haul.

I’m in for MSG 1, will probably find my way into MSG 2, and am heading to Dublin as well.

I got tix to Missoula which was all I put in for. My first time seeing PJ was the Yield tour opener in Missoula, so if this is my last PJ show (which, based on ticket prices and other reasons mentioned in this thread that have caused general disappointment with the band, it may very well be), it will be a nice bookend. As for albums since Yield, I'm definitely in the minority in that I really enjoyed Backspacer 🤷‍♂️

On my 4th listen now - trying to figure out what it reminds me of. I think a little bit of Comatose?

Love the music, not loving Ed's vocals. Perhaps it's the mix/production? Will be very interesting to see how he sounds live on this one.
Same, not digging the production still, but do appreciate the intensity.

I can picture Mike running around like a madman on stage for this one, it will be super fun live.

I don't often read reviews at all these days, let alone reviews of something I haven't heard yet, but I really enjoyed reading this one.

I don't often read reviews at all these days, let alone reviews of something I haven't heard yet, but I really enjoyed reading this one.

I just finished reading it - also enjoyed it very much. Makes me even more impatient, and dare I say more optimistic, to hear the new album in entirety.

Back