sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

Right? None of those albums would be what they are without Janet. The line about they are fighting for equality and there wasn't going to be equality in the band anymore is pretty damning.

I can't believe how much this bothers me.
Have you seen this tour yet? I forget when you were supposed to.

This bothers me greatly. I need to process it. Because the tour did make me a bit more comfortable with the new sound. I just have to now put it in context of this.

Have you seen this tour yet? I forget when you were supposed to.

This bothers me greatly. I need to process it. Because the tour did make me a bit more comfortable with the new sound. I just have to now put it in context of this.

I requested a refund from Ticketmaster when they moved venues. They gave us the option. I need to make sure I got that money back now that i'm thinking about it. School was just too busy to make it work.

I'm fine without seeing the tour. The songs they played that weren't from the new album I think were mostly played at the show I did see on the last album's tour. That's the SK I'm gonna keep in my heart.

I requested a refund from Ticketmaster when they moved venues. They gave us the option. I need to make sure I got that money back now that i'm thinking about it. School was just too busy to make it work.

I'm fine without seeing the tour. The songs they played that weren't from the new album I think were mostly played at the show I did see on the last album's tour. That's the SK I'm gonna keep in my heart.

Oh dang, I didn't know they had switched venues. Yes, don't let ticketmaster have one red cent of your money.

Reading between the lines here and projecting based on my own experience in that weird cross-section between friends making shit and the entertainment business...

It sounds like C & C made the executive decisions that a) if they were going to put their time into SK, they were going to make it worth their while and, for them, that means treating it like a business/brand with a business/brand mindset and b) they felt J wouldn’t be able to apply that same mindset to the band’s decisions and choices going forward so they had to move her into a performer-only position in this new SK venture. I would guess the options were “keep doing SK but have it make sense financially” or break up again and they figured the former was the least destructive option, even if it meant disenfranchising a friend and vital part of their history.

To me, that puts everyone’s decisions in an understandable light, even if I disagree with one side. When you view yourself as just an artist or musician making great shit with your friends, you often make decisions that are satisfying artistically but really dumb from a financial and an entertainment career standpoint. So much of what my friends and I do in comedy that fulfills us and makes performing and writing worthwhile is considered meaningless and counter-productive by the actual industry. I can see why C & C might not want to waste energy and time without getting a financial and business-career return on investment anymore and I can see why J would bounce once it was made clear she’d have to serve time as “the drummer” and prove she can play nice under the new model before getting back into a creative role.

In the end, I 100% buy it and empathize when J showed how hurtful that exit was while also saying she loves the band and the people in it still. Sometimes you get hurt deeply and there isn’t really a villain on the other side, just a bad match up of goals and power dynamic. I’m glad she’s healing from the crash and talking about the SK stuff in a healthy way.

Back