September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 30: The End

And this concludes my first month of participating in one of these challenge threads! Allowed me to spin some records I hadn't listened to in a while. And it's great to see the collections people have. Some great tastes out there folks! Despite all the kidding around about tastes earlier in the month, I think our Venn diagram intersections are much greater than otherwise.

A big shout out to @Gavaxeman for putting this together and for devoting his time.

It was fun! It's much easier to keep up and think about something like this now that I'm working from home for the foreseeable future. I was pretty good - only fell behind twice and only for a day each. Anyway, I should be able to carry on for the next month, if you'll all continue to have me share my spins.

I'll end this month with an album I've been listening to since its release when I was a freshman at university.

George Michael "Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1" (1990 Epic, 2017 reissue)

Faith was his big album, but in my opinion, this is his masterpiece.

IMG_0878.JPG

Last edited:
Day 30 - part deux
Decided to make it Leonard Cohen day, so I think a second post should be allowed for same artist (I’d did check @Gavaxeman s rule rook and according to Chapter 76 : Subsection 3 - Paragraph 17 *line 4 this is allowed and I quote :
”should Leonards second coming be required do what thy must”
So think I’m good.
2DEF4938-70BA-4905-B787-14DC0434BFD0.jpeg

Beaten up cover cost me £1 from charity shop but vinyl plays well

Final day ketchup

Day 28: “Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit (1972)

Every third Billie Holiday compilation is titled Strange Fruit. This one from 1972 features three previously unreleased alternate takes

IMG_20200930_105231.jpg

Day 30: And in the end...

Thanks @Gavaxeman for running this, it's been a fun month!

Started off on day 1 with Soundgarden, seemed appropriate to end with this RSD 2020 release of two Chris Cornell songs. Brandi Carlile w/ the surviving members of Soundgarden playing Black Hole Sun and Searching with My Good Eye Closed. Powerful performances from all.

"No one sings like you anymore..."

Brandi Carlile ~ A Rooster Says

1601483991239.png

Day 30: “and it looks like we’ve made it to the end ...” RIP..play something by those sadly no longer with us...or dead if you like
Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
897B540A-6159-43C0-B548-CED93D0911C9.jpeg
The sadness and resignation that emanates from this album feels like a suicide note. I never met Dave though I feel like I knew him and I miss him every time I play one of his albums.

Last edited:
Day 30 Bonus.

I doubt I'm stealing anyone else's choice with this. I bought this version of After The Gold Rush at a garage sale. When I got home to play it, I realized the wrong album was in it. I'll give a spin today in her memory.

Helen Reddy ~ I Am Woman (hidden in the After the Gold Rush sleeve)

1601490101604.png
1601490057019.png

Back