September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 21: “Lonesome Tonight”- Boo..it’s Monday ..sad records

Few do the drawn out sorrowful harmonies like this sister duo, specifically Ghost Town is an all timer sad fest, but the whole thing has a sense of loneliness and pain to it.

First Aid Kit - The Big Black and the Blue

IMG_20200921_195030.jpg

So the Ultimate Gav-la will be the last Gav-la...at the moment I reckon 14 of you have a chance to be crowned the Ultimate Gav-la ..but it’s all to play for and a burst of catch up posts from a few others could tip it closer ....

The excitement....

The Crowning will be revealed on the 1st October so as not to detract from the next months Challenge starting

Last edited:
Day 22: “Collectors Corner”.. play a rare, unusual or valuable release , or one you’ve got umpteenth copies of

Dexter Gordon - Go

I've gone back and forth over this choice. I have records that probably are more valuable, but this one intrigues me most. It's an early mono pressing with a Liberty label, likely 1966 or '67. I've never been able to find a description that fits this copy exactly, and that bit of mystery adds to my interest. Plus, it's a great album and in stellar condition all around. Also, as with most things that are collectible, there's something about the older stuff, that holds value because it actually is rare, that sets it apart from the more modern records (in this case) for which there's often little more than the fact a few thousand people bought the thing that renders it "desireable" and/or "valuable." (Which is why I didn't go with my first pressing of Phish's The Story of the Ghost.)
Sept22a.jpg
Sept22b.jpg
Sept22C.jpg

Day 22: “Collectors Corner”.. play a rare, unusual or valuable release , or one you’ve got umpteenth copies of

I could go any of the above ways here, but what I interpret from today's theme is play something with intense personal meaning. I mean, that's what makes it valuable, right?

This is a 1971 pressing of Black Sabbath's Paranoid.

There's not really anything particularly valuable about this copy from a monetary standpoint. I bought this record in 1973 when I was 12 years old. It's the first LP I ever owned and I've been toting it around for 47 years. It's looking as haggard and worn as the owner, yet it's arguably the most personally valuable record I own.

So here's the story....

I was a kid enamored with rock and roll around the age of 10. Discovered the radio and found out there was a whole new dangerous world out there. Things progressed, and when I was 12 an older neighbor told me about a local 'Battle Of the Bands' that was going down. I needed to attend.

My parents were some the most supportive people ever and when I asked to go, I don't recall any resistance. And you have to understand, from a musical standpoint, my parents would likely be considered the squarest of the square. My mom wasn't really into music at all, although she had seen Elvis in 1972 via a work outing. Work outings used to be much cooler than they are now. My dad enjoyed music but was totally in the big band/Ray Conniff/easy listening camp. All the same, these two beautiful people took me to a local high school to see a bunch of hack hippie freaks play at a ridiculous volume with incredibly lacking talent. It had to be excruciating for them, but they did it because that's what you do for the folks you love.

At some point, one of these ragtag outfits whipped out a cover of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'. I was absolutely smitten. Within the next couple of weeks, I'd saved enough of my allowance to buy this bad ass record cash money, and my dad took me to Grant's Dept. Store, one of a couple places you could buy records in our small town, and the deed was done.

This record is in rough shape with surface noise, seam splits and some very incriminating stories to tell if she could talk. At the same time, it's one of the most valuable LP's in my collection because of the memories, the context and the personal connection it has to who I am as a music lover and a record collector.

It's value isn't monetary, it's emotional, and it's priceless. And visceral, emotional connection is why we're all here.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

20200501_015417.jpg

I could go any of the above ways here, but what I interpret from today's theme is play something with intense personal meaning. I mean, that's what makes it valuable, right?

There's not really anything particularly valuable about this copy from a monetary standpoint. I bought this record in 1973 when I was 12 years old. It's the first LP I ever owned and I've been toting it around for 47 years. It's looking as haggard and worn as the owner, yet it's arguably the most personally valuable record I own.

So here's the story....

I was a kid enamored with rock and roll around the age of 10. Discovered the radio and found out there was a whole new dangerous world out there. Things progressed, and when I was 12 an older neighbor told me about a local 'Battle Of the Bands' that was going down. I needed to attend.

My parents were some the most supportive people ever and when I asked to go, I don't recall any resistance. And you have to understand, from a musical standpoint, my parents would likely be considered the squarest of the square. My mom wasn't really into music at all, although she had seen Elvis in 1972 via a work outing. Work outings used to be much cooler than they are now. My dad enjoyed music but was totally in the big band/Ray Conniff/easy listening camp. All the same, these two beautiful people took me to a local high school to see a bunch of hack hippie freaks play at a ridiculous volume with incredibly lacking talent. It had to be excruciating for them, but they did it because that's what you do for the folks you love.

At some point, one of these ragtag outfits whipped out a cover of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'. I was absolutely smitten. Within the next couple of weeks, I'd saved enough of my allowance to buy this bad ass record cash money, and my dad took me to Grant's Dept. Store, one of a couple places you could buy records in our small town, and the deed was done.

This record is in rough shape with surface noise, seam splits and some very incriminating stories to tell if she could talk. At the same time, it's one of the most valuable LP's in my collection because of the memories, the context and the personal connection it has to who I am as a music lover and a record collector.

It's value isn't monetary, it's emotional, and it's priceless. And visceral, emotional connection is why we're all here.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

View attachment 67176

Great post ...can interpret today any way you want folks

Day 22

So... I’ve been shifting in my collecting for a while. My one step copy of Evans made me want to upgrade my system. Life keeps getting in the way of end stage but I’ve done some midterm upgrades. Then recently I got the Oh Mercy 45 mofi and well this is my first spin of this here record.... I’ve got rarer, I’ve got more valuable, hell I’ve got three copies of the White Album and I’m notoriously not even a big fan of that record... I’m still gonna collect my faves and I’ve got a couple of interests going on in general discovery (here and magnolia and the 33 1/3 books) but I’m gonna slow down on records in general because these here things sound too damn good and my current set up is pretty good but could be real good and I want every album that has the chance to sound like this sound like this and hopefully pull some more out of these things...
So coming sometime 2040, upgrades a go-go at chez newman...

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft (45 Rpm Mofi Gain 2 Ultra #169/2000)

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends

The only test press I own and I had someone make a custom alternate cover for it so it's actually a 1/1. One of my favorite collectable pieces for sure!

So here's the story....

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

View attachment 67176
I love your parents!

Back