Secretly Society

shame - Food for Worms (Dead Oceans)
on Half Blue & Half Red vinyl
Food for Worms sees shame enter a new, surreal landscape, as reflected in the cover art designed by acclaimed artist Marcel Dzama. It’s suggestive of what is left unsaid, what lies beneath the surface, the farcical and fantastical everyday that we are living in, in a society where both everything and nothing is possible. Recording each track live meant a kind of surrender: here, the rough edges give the album its texture; the mistakes are more interesting than perfection. In a way, it harkens back to the title itself and the way that with this record, the band are embracing frailty and, by doing so, are tapping into a new source of bravery.
It’s through this, and defiance, that the band have continually moved forward together; finding light in uncomfortable contractions and playing their vulnerabilities as strengths. The near-breakdowns, identity crises, Steel routinely ripping his top off on-stage as a way of tackling his body weight insecurities – everything is thrown into their live show, and the best shows of their lives are happening now.

Looks like discounts are up -

US 12 month subscription: 10OFFSOCIETY
UK
12 month subscription: 10OFFSOCIETYUK
International
12 month subscription: 10OFFSOCIETYINTL
Thanks. Didn't the discounts used to be much steeper? This basically offsets their somewhat recent price increase.

I haven't subscribed in ages, but glad to see the Shame release included. Such a great band, I heard them play many of the new songs live at Doug Fir earlier this year.

Thanks. Didn't the discounts used to be much steeper? This basically offsets their somewhat recent price increase.

I haven't subscribed in ages, but glad to see the Shame release included. Such a great band, I heard them play many of the new songs live at Doug Fir earlier this year.
Yeah, I think it used to be 25% or 50% off of the $200 yearly cost. I'm not sure they even did a discount last year.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II (Jagjaguwar)
on Strawberry Shortcake Splash Red vinyl
On the year of the albums 10th Anniversary Unknown Mortal Orchestra's 'II' will be reissued. II builds on the break-beat, junk-shop charm the multi-instrumentalist and songwriter Ruban Nielson came to be renowned for following Unknown Mortal Orchestra's self-titled 2011 debut, and signals the solidification of the band's position as an endlessly intriguing, brave psychedelic band. UMO is unafraid to dig deeper than the rest to lock into their intoxicating, opiate groove and bring rock'n'roll's exaggerated myths to life. Written during a punishing, debauched touring schedule during which Nielson feared for both his sanity and health, II illustrates the emotional turmoil of life on the road, painting surrealist, cartoonish portraits of loneliness, love and despair.

Finally got around to listening to Faye Webster, which was included last months Box for me.

Wow, what a good album/ep. Very beautiful, was not expecting it to be very instrumental and love it.

If you haven't listened to this yet you need to. If you don't have this yet add it to one of your free slots to ship with your next record.

Finally got around to listening to Faye Webster, which was included last months Box for me.

Wow, what a good album/ep. Very beautiful, was not expecting it to be very instrumental and love it.

If you haven't listened to this yet you need to. If you don't have this yet add it to one of your free slots to ship with your next record.
Is this the Car Therapy Sessions? I really enjoyed it. I Know I'm Funny haha was really good on its own merits, the orchestral arrangements are just frosting.

Back