Samples & Interpolations

You could probably make a whole thread of the whacky ways Daft Punk twisted samples around, but I always thought this one was fun and still recognizable if you pay attention because it's pretty much chopped up over the whole song.

Both songs being on the soundtrack made this one easy for me to find, but I love how they bookend the soundtrack (just wish the RTJ song was on the vinyl version):

Devouring hip hop liner notes and working at a a music store in high school (just before and into the dawn of the Napster era) was my gateway and early education into the worlds of jazz, soul, funk and blues. I was always disheartened by negativity towards sampling in hip hop, because I wouldn't have learned about half the the music I love now (nobody in my family or friends group was listening to this stuff at the time.)

Nothing really beats that EUREKA! moment of hearing something for the first time and realizing you're not hearing it for the first time afterall!

Love this thread, and plan to add some goodies later this week. Thanks y'all.

Devouring hip hop liner notes and working at a a music store in high school (just before and into the dawn of the Napster era) was my gateway and early education into the worlds of jazz, soul, funk and blues. I was always disheartened by negativity towards sampling in hip hop, because I wouldn't have learned about half the the music I love now (nobody in my family or friends group was listening to this stuff at the time.)

Nothing really beats that EUREKA! moment of hearing something for the first time and realizing you're not hearing it for the first time afterall!

Love this thread, and plan to add some goodies later this week. Thanks y'all.

Yes, exactly! This is an example of a song I thought was new to me, but realized I was all too familiar with when I heard it. I love Mariah Carey - Fantasy and knew it for many years before hearing the Tom Tom Club song that they sampled/interpolated. I was shocked as to how much of it they used. Both great songs!

A sample sandwich that I found through the Dissect podcast's breakdown of Mac Miller's track:

Back