Return of defective LP denied due to conflicting viewpoint on what a defective LP is considered.

Fixxman32

So yeah..

"

can not see from the video what is wrong with this album. We have received complaints from over a long period of time from
you who we believe are in "borderland" on what one should accept as a vinyl buyer. Our policy is basically
that the customer is mostly right, but thinks in principle that as long as the album plays as it should, ie the music
sounds correct, then there is no basis for a complaint if a disc has some dents and warps (unless it
then affects playback).

So we have to get a clarification now on what your expectation level is on the records you buy from us. We have
No other customers who complains as often and as nearly consistently as you do. I emphasize that I do not
necessarily think that in no, many, or all cases you may not be right, but I think it is striking and we
have to have a dialogue on this now.

As you know, we happily clean up faulty goods, but we need to agree here on what is actually a faulty goods."

I mean, wtf. Am i just to accept that records have edge-warps, are off center and lacking QC?

Last edited:
Who is the vendor? That said it's understandable if you don't want to call them out though.

Maybe also share the video? It's true that people have different levels of tolerance. Mine definitely does vary based on the price I pay, the expectation of quality based on how it was advertised and who I bought it from. I only complain about warps when they're extreme and I can't fix them. Audio issues caused by off-center vinyl, audible non-fill, scratches and stuff like that are more likely to get complaints from me. Badly damaged sleeves too.

Who is the vendor? That said it's understandable if you don't want to call them out though.

Maybe also share the video? It's true that people have different levels of tolerance. Mine definitely does vary based on the price I pay, the expectation of quality based on how it was advertised and who I bought it from. I only complain about warps when they're extreme and I can't fix them. Audio issues caused by off-center vinyl, audible non-fill, scratches and stuff like that are more likely to get complaints from me. Badly damaged sleeves too.
I mean warps are bad for your equipment. It’s why I have a clamp, to prevent the issues to my stylus.

Also, call them out @Fixxman32 , we would like to help you not patronize them in the future.

I mean warps are bad for your equipment. It’s why I have a clamp, to prevent the issues to my stylus.

Also, call them out @Fixxman32 , we would like to help you not patronize them in the future.

Oh I agree, but I can usually correct them with the Vinyl Flat. But even then. extreme warps can leave audible traces. Most records have a little undulation, which is not going to be an issue, but I don't tolerate a lot. Dish warps are bad but usually I can correct them. Edge warps that make the needle jerk up and down are pretty awful too and they're really hard to fix with my VF. That's where I'm more likely to make a request for something that is often not necessarily audible.

CAVEAT: nobody should be expected to own a vinyl flattening machine though.

Local shop in Oslo.
I see myself as very tolerant when it comes to the "bad" side of vinyl record manufacturing. I can tolerate minor warpage, off-center. But edgewarps that clearly makes the arm move i am not comfortable with. Nor major off center and non-fill.

I have returned records severly off center, nasty edge-warps and non-fill. This is the past year, so out of 12 records, 4 has been returned.
All of theese has been badly warped from my point of view.

And what sort of policy is this:
there is no basis for a complaint if a disc has some dents and warps (unless it
then affects playback).

So its ok if the record has some warpage and has dents apparently. Is that ok? No, i spend hard earned cash on a record, i then expect it to be at least somewhat flat, has minimal or no warps and no dents or other blemishes.

What's the easiest way for uploading video-files here?

Last edited:
and this view point of "exchange only if it affects play) seems to be pretty unique to vinyl. I have never heard of a car dealer claiming " It´s only a little cratched up but it does not affect driving" or a clothes manufacturer getting away with "there are just few stains on those pants but that does not affect comfortable wearing".

and this view point of "exchange only if it affects play) seems to be pretty unique to vinyl. I have never heard of a car dealer claiming " It´s only a little cratched up but it does not affect driving" or a clothes manufacturer getting away with "there are just few stains on those pants but that does not affect comfortable wearing".
Yep. Seems like the storeowner and those who work there are under the impression that a turntable cartridge / stylus is a magical device that can handle anything, and that dents and warps are just part of the game.
They have no technical insight whatsoever.

Local shop in Oslo.
I see myself as very tolerant when it comes to the "bad" side of vinyl record manufacturing. I can tolerate minor warpage, off-center. But edgewarps that clearly makes the arm move i am not comfortable with. Nor major off center and non-fill.

I have returned records severly off center, nasty edge-warps and non-fill. This is the past year, so out of 12 records, 4 has been returned.
All of theese has been badly warped from my point of view.

And what sort of policy is this:
there is no basis for a complaint if a disc has some dents and warps (unless it
then affects playback).

So its ok if the record has some warpage and has dents apparently. Is that ok? No, i spend hard earned cash on a record, i then expect it to be at least somewhat flat, has minimal or no warps and no dents or other blemishes.

What's the easiest way for uploading video-files here?

You can’t directly upload videos. If you put them on a service like Vimeo you can then embed the link in your post.

If you spend a lot of money there I would talk directly to the owner about your concerns. If they're still pricks then switch stores!
He is the one who actually confronted me with my return of defect records "pattern"

Is 5 of 18 records really that much in a whole year?

Back