Return of defective LP denied due to conflicting viewpoint on what a defective LP is considered.

Seems you've had some bad luck, but it does seem reasonable to me to see an almost 30% return rate as a pattern.
Thanks! Im still waiting for a reply from the storeowner - and they should be shameful when i tell them that Sundazed sent a brand new copy from the States to Norway, free of charge. And no need for the defect in return.

Last edited:
Local record shops should have recourse for the return of defective discs to the supplier. Meaning, they shouldn't have to foot the bill and can swap it until you get one that's satisfactory. I'd ask them about this.
My local told me he pretty much eats it when there is a damaged record…. I was already more forgiving but this made me even more so.

The majority of them no. 1 is so slight I had a hard time seeing it and I’m not sure the last one would truly bother me either.

The caveat here being twofold: 1. I just have lowered expectations now and 2. My clamp would probably help with both.

I know number 1 is abit hard, due to me filming in a slightly dark room, but if you turn up the brightness one will see that its has a continious wobble.
I blame myself for poor lighting here.

As for nr 5, that is the record that this store denied return on, but Sundazed granted me a replacement.

Yep I’ve been told the same. He pretty much only doesn’t eat it when a whole batch comes in visibly fucked and he can reject it as a whole.
I think Plaidroom and some other local shops I used to go to all said the same too. Most of the time it’s not worth the headache or just too much hassle for them to return a record and wait on getting a refund. If it’s something really bad and I got it from a local shop, I usually will contact the label instead and have had pretty good luck with that. If I buy it from a big box retailer like Amazon, then I ask for a return if it’s bad.

I even bought a used Bon Iver 12” single once and it was really horribly off center. I emailed jagjaguwar just to see if they had any other copies lying around and while that one was long OOP, they asked me if there were any other Bon Iver albums I wanted and sent me one completely free of charge.

I’m fairly lenient though. If it’s a dented cover or a seam split I’m usually fine with it unless it’s really bad. If it’s slightly off center, then I’m fine with it too. Only really ask for a return with bad non-fill, scratches or bad edge warps.

I can sort of see the store’s point but they don’t have to be pricks about it. A 30% return rate is pretty high IMO especially when small stores have probably had a rough year.

Respectfully, these records are all well within acceptable terms for a warp. I understand the shops perspective, although they could have come at this at a different angle.

That's why I bought a vinyl flat for. Unless it's super dramatic and makes my needle jump or the arm to ride up and down dangerously, I just flatten them. The only one from these videos I would complain about is probably vid 4, as it may make your needle jump as this seems like a sudden edge warp coming. Agree with some here, 30% return sounds really high to me.

Hot take: if stores want to cash in on the vinyl craze, they need to suck up the returns of the product they carry.

I know that sounds harsh - but if the labels won't refund the shops, then the shops should stop carrying those labels and support the labels that do accept responsibility for THEIR OWN QC PROBLEMS. And buy/sell more used records.

Sucks, but there it is.

Hot take: if stores want to cash in on the vinyl craze, they need to suck up the returns of the product they carry.

I know that sounds harsh - but if the labels won't refund the shops, then the shops should stop carrying those labels and support the labels that do accept responsibility for THEIR OWN QC PROBLEMS. And buy/sell more used records.

Sucks, but there it is.
This is true and I agree to an extent. But we all know that vinyl is not a perfect media and it entails some defects sometimes. Are there more of these in the past years? maybe. It certainly drove me to cherry pick my records more carefully and purchase more quality ones over quantity.

It’s definitely that way as a media. But in my collection, and over the 30+ years of playing records, I did not see this level of horrible QC. And the insane prices of some records now really shows that it’s not about the music or the experience, it’s about the cash grab. Milk it while you can.

I actually spoke with the Norwegian Consumer Council today and retold the person on the phone the entire email they sent me. She was mildly shocked and said that a store should not act in such manner.

And that statement: as long as the music sounds ok, warps and other flaws are ok is not a valid enough argument. There is clearly a disagreement between me, what i expect of a 40-50usd record and that stores viewpoint.

To me they are either:
uneducated in pressing defects

aware of pressing defects, but think its a hassle to return them to the supplier

?

Last edited:
The store in question bought a Furutech DF-2 to sort out warped records - meaning i was right all along, and that others too have returned warped records to that store.

I wouldn't hassle a local shop about any of those records you presented. Those aren't even "bad" warps. You should see some of the shitty pressed records I have received lately.

The store in question bought a Furutech DF-2 to sort out warped records - meaning i was right all along, and that others too have returned warped records to that store.
so if you have a warped album you bought from them, do they flatten it for you or do they offer flattening of records as a service you pay for? the latter is a revenue generator and in no way backs up your perspective on this.

Back