Restocks/Represses

I think he works with really talented people and then kinda just lets them do their thing on tape. Sometimes the results are magic, you get a revelatory raw and unpolished record. His secret is that he’s kind of a reflecting pool of what an artist brings him. He maximizes greatness but also can’t really polish a turd.

Another way to put that is he lets artists do their thing because he actually has no idea what he is doing, and great artists make great art.

He is the poster child for shitty brickwalled CD sounds of the 2000's (ie Stadium Arcadium, Angus & Julia Stone albums he touched)

On a personal level, he was the one who convinced Beastie Boys to kick Kate Schellenbach out of the band, then turned around and stole all of their royalty money along with Russell Simmons.

Seriously, compare his Stadium Arcadium garbage CD master to Gray/Hoffman's vinyl cut.

Another way to put that is he lets artists do their thing because he actually has no idea what he is doing, and great artists make great art.

He is the poster child for shitty brickwalled CD sounds of the 2000's (ie Stadium Arcadium, Angus & Julia Stone albums he touched)

On a personal level, he was the one who convinced Beastie Boys to kick Kate Schellenbach out of the band, then turned around and stole all of their royalty money along with Russell Simmons.

Seriously, compare his Stadium Arcadium garbage CD master to Gray/Hoffman's vinyl cut.

Alright guys take this to the hot takes thread!

Last edited:

You don’t wanna like the dude that is is fine. I think he has produced too many exceptional albums for it to be a happy accident. The stuff about The Beastie Boys is shitty but I have read The Beastie Boys Book too, the boys played their own role in that situation as well. The Loudness war of the late 90s early 00s affected most of the industry at the time. I completely agree that it sucked but it was more of trend of that era than something Rubin was solely responsible for.

Anyways, think I understand why you don’t care for the guy (more power to ya) but I feel like is a talented producer and his resume really does back that up.

Vlado mastered the Stadium Arcadium CD, not Rubin. Vlado is one of the main brickwall mastering guys from that time period. Everything he touched sucks mastering-wise. And as @TenderLovingKiller® said, brickwalling was just a product of the times--not solely because of Rubin, unless there's something I don't know about him pioneering brickwalling.

I need to unfollow this thread or put @MikeH on ignore. haha
giphy.gif

Back