Record Store Day 2024

I don't have a car so won't be able to make it to my favorite local without a very expensive Uber, so gonna brave one of the Bull Moose locations tomorrow morning in the hopes I get Evans. Would arriving at 7-ish for an 8am opening probably be good enough?
At my local the line starts tonight. By 8 am it's usually 40-50 deep. And it's a tiny tiny store.

At my local the line starts tonight. By 8 am it's usually 40-50 deep. And it's a tiny tiny store.
I went down to Princeton this morning to do recon for tomorrow (and pick up two albums that I'd not yet bought) As I walked up to the store, there were already two people queuing for RSD. I was talking to the owner and some of the employees, and was informed that this was a new record for earliest arrivals - they got there at 10:45am.

On my way out I asked them what releases they were there for, they wouldn't disclose the titles, alluded to them being metal, and looked over my want list and said they weren't interested in anything on it.

now that my partner is collecting records she's thankfully going with me to the early RSD openings. Should make scuttling to the bathroom easier.

we're hunting down:

LILY ALLEN - It's Not Me, It's You
OLIVIA RODRIGO & NOAH KAHAN - Olivia Rodrigo "Stick Season"/Noah Kahan "Lacy"
TALKING HEADS - Live at WCOZ 77
BILL EVANS - Everybody Digs Bill Evans
DAFT PUNK - Something About Us (Love Theme From Interstella 5555) [Tho I am soft on this one really that Bill Evans and Talking Heads are my own Must Haves]

I went down to Princeton this morning to do recon for tomorrow (and pick up two albums that I'd not yet bought) As I walked up to the store, there were already two people queuing for RSD. I was talking to the owner and some of the employees, and was informed that this was a new record for earliest arrivals - they got there at 10:45am.

On my way out I asked them what releases they were there for, they wouldn't disclose the titles, alluded to them being metal, and looked over my want list and said they weren't interested in anything on it.

They're definitely there for Joe Pesci

There are a few Bull Moose locations in my area (like six within thirty mins of each other) so hopefully it's not too bad. Worst case scenario I miss out on what I was looking for and get it on discogs on six months

Bull Moose still runs busy if not as busy as stores in bigger population centers. With that said they tend to get good allocation and I don't think jazz really goes that day anyway. My gut says you're probably okay barring something unexpected. I'd check Bull Moose's site for stock by store to make sure they're getting it, and if it's not there, ask to see if they are willing to call another store to hold it for you and ship it up

Bull Moose still runs busy if not as busy as stores in bigger population centers. With that said they tend to get good allocation and I don't think jazz really goes that day anyway. My gut says you're probably okay barring something unexpected. I'd check Bull Moose's site for stock by store to make sure they're getting it, and if it's not there, ask to see if they are willing to call another store to hold it for you and ship it up
No way to check stock but they usually open up online holds later in the day or the day after RSD.

I think I should be alright as well but I'm not overly worried. If I can't make it there's a good brunch spot I can go kill time at after so should be a good morning regardless.

No way to check stock but they usually open up online holds later in the day or the day after RSD.

I think I should be alright as well but I'm not overly worried. If I can't make it there's a good brunch spot I can go kill time at after so should be a good morning regardless.

If you look at the album itself on Bull Moose's website it should say if it's at the particular store you're going to or not. Though I can't guarantee accuracy for it.

If you look at the album itself on Bull Moose's website it should say if it's at the particular store you're going to or not. Though I can't guarantee accuracy for it.
For normal releases they do but for RSD it's all "Available April 20" until the day of and I think they don't keep active stock updates until the day after RSD

For normal releases they do but for RSD it's all "Available April 20" until the day of and I think they don't keep active stock updates until the day after RSD

They track by store prior to as well.

Like this is the Iggy and the Stooges record - only says it for some stores

IMG_0765.png

Vs. something like Jenny Lewis which is at all stores. Now I don’t know how accurate it holds up but in the past it’s worked for me

IMG_0766.jpeg

Happy RSD from Australia.

I moved to a regional area of Melbourne about 18 months back and getting to my old locals is too far to drive. From what I hear some stores had queues beginning from 9pm last night.

I was contemplating not doing it this year but found a store close to me (1 hr away) that was opening at 8am and got here this morning at 6:30am and no one was here. Just before it opened there was about 5 people in queue. Score. That was 15 mins ago.

We all got we wanted and everyone was happy.

I got Sia, Parliament and Lost in Translation and it cost way too much.

May you get what you are after to sate your fomo.

You are correct, friend. Coffee rules supreme, the fauna can kill but and shit’s expensive. Those 3 albums worked out to be about $200 usd.
You all export some good content though. Music, shows, movies, BLUEY. I also watched the movie Talk to Me this week and that was a solid horror flick.

Back