Record Store Day 2021

Confirmed that this year is being split across 2 dates, Saturday 12th June AND 17th July.

View attachment 90449
Fucking hell...this was the worst last year. And, at least at my local, did the opposite of what it was supposed to. There was just alot of people on 3 days instead of 1 (I guess good for shops though)

I'm disappointed too and I kind of wish the gap was larger (May/August would've been nice), but I think they probably are understanding vaccines won't be in most arms in full by June and most stores are probably still running on limited numbers. Or, quite possibly more likely, a lot of their selections had to get pushed back for pressing and they didn't want an RSD where only 50% of the items were ready.

I didn't mind too much the three drop heck I actually got MORE last time.... I was jsut kind of looking forward to a regular event even if it was in June.... Hopefully it's not Hayley Williams SOON before we get the list

Fucking hell...this was the worst last year. And, at least at my local, did the opposite of what it was supposed to. There was just alot of people on 3 days instead of 1 (I guess good for shops though)

Yeah, it's all about the $$$$. They sold over 3x as many records last year on RSD and had giant crowds at all 3 dates.

I didn't feel any downside to multiple RSDs last year. The August RSD was the only one that featured any albums I wanted, so I happily sat out September, October, and Black Friday. I would've probably been annoyed if the releases I was interested in were spread out, though.

I went to 3/4 drops and truth be told I spent more because I didn’t have only one day to choose from.... maybe it’ll be like last year where I can skip a drop completely.

My problem with Record Store Day being split across multiple days is that the shipments go all wonky. Remember the Pearl Jam Unplugged debacle? Shops didn't know if they were getting it or if they weren't. Didn't know how many. Some shops got it a week after Record Store Day. Same thing happened with an Allman Brothers album and a Dave Pike album. The distributor just shipped them whenever.

When it's 1 single day, I feel like there's a better chance for store to get everything beforehand and take stock and let customers know.

Back