Rank The Albums!

I've given The Loveliest Time, as stellar of an effort it is, three runs now. I've been harder on her music as of recent, given how many pop musicians have entered my sphere. Revisiting my opinions on Carly Rae Jepsen's discography...

Carly Rae Jepsen
  1. E•MO•TION [The 2010s pop bible. All killer no filler. Marked the change in trajectory and fanbase of her career forever.]
  2. The Loveliest Time [This is the most experimental she has ever taken her music. I had my doubts heading in with the rather uninteresting opener "Anything to Be With You," but it immediately ramped up in enjoyment right after. She crosses boundaries between synthwave, IDM, nu-disco, and her familiar brand of dance-pop. This is her defining record where its not about the destination, but rather the (exhilarating) journey to get there. If I could make a tracklist edit, I would swap places of "Stadium Love" and "Weekend Love," as the former sounds as if it is expounding the rest of its musical ferocity like fireworks. That stretch from "Shy Boy" to "Put It To Rest" is godtier, with the latter track being one of my top10 Carly songs ever already. Same with the breakbeat implemented "After Last Night."]
  3. Dedicated Side B [Still find this enjoyable overall, no obvious filler like those below. About two-thirds good (or even great), the rest is fine. Got a pair of my top10 Carly songs on here, "Stay Away" and "Let's Sort the Whole Thing Out."]
  4. Tug of War [I have this higher than most, I know. This came out during the FedoraCore era (Jason Mraz, Bruno Mars, Colbie Caillat, etc.). Given that "Call Me Maybe" did not exist yet, I feel like many pop fans are unaware of its existence. Nothing groundbreaking you are missing out on if haven't listened yet, but it is a pleasant listen on a summer's day. "Money and the Ego" and "Sour Candy" are fun tracks to revisit when they spring to memory.]
  5. Dedicated [I've markedly soured on this one. Looking back on the singles, they are OK. "Julien" is the one that stood out most overall. The closing stretch of "Feels Right" to "Real Love" is weak and is a big reason why I have not spun the vinyl since my collection playthrough.]
  6. The Loneliest Time [I know I gave this a (y) back when I provided a weekly roundup, but I would change that to a firm 🤷‍♂️ now. There aren't too many songs I would revisit on this except "Talking to Yourself," and there are a fair number of stinkers.]
  7. Kiss [Honestly, outside of "This Kiss" and the iconic "Call Me Maybe," I don't find this enjoyable. This came out during a time where the EDM (and boy band revivalism) craze was ramping up. This album caught hold of many of those trends and now over a decade later, it sounds as dated as I expected. I'd be OK with never hearing "Good Time" or the fairly annoying "Tonight I'm Getting Over You" ever again.]
There is a sizeable drop after The Loveliest Time. If I included E•MO•TION: Side B, it would take the top spot.

Aesop Rock

1. The Impossible Kid
2. Labor Days
3. None Shall Pass
4. Spirit World Field Guide
5. Bestiary {Hail Mary Mallon}
6. Skelethon
7. Daylight EP
8. Float
9. Hokey Fright {The Uncluded}
10. Bushwick {Original Motion Picture Soundtrack}
11. Malibu Ken {w/ Tobacco}
12. Garbology {w/ Blockhead}
13. The Recycling Bin EP {w/ Blockhead}
14. Appleseed EP
15. Bazooka Tooth
16. Are You Gonna Eat That? {Hail Mary Mallon}
17. Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives EP
18. Lice EP {w/ Homeboy Sandman}
19. Triple Fat Lice EP {w/ Homeboy Sandman}
20. Lice Two - Still Buggin' EP {w/ Homeboy Sandman}
21. Music For Earthworms
22. Music From The Game Freedom Finger EP

...And I’ll Add a New entry to the Thread:

Beastie Boys:
1. Ill Communication
2. Hot Sauce Committee Pt.2
3. Check Your Head
4. Paul’s Boutique
5. Hello Nasty
6. Licensed To Ill
7. To The 5 Boroughs
8. The Mix Up
I was wondering if anyone did this. This is tough - first three switches around depending on when you ask me. All 3 are front to back albums for me. Even Licensed to Ill is front to back. I like most of the songs on Check Your Head - but rarely listen to as a whole. To the 5 Boroughs has some good songs but not F2B. I like a few songs on The Mix Up but it's a bit boring and I have to be honest I never got into hot sauce committee pt 2.

1. Ill Communication
2. Hello Nasty
3. Paul’s Boutique
4. Licensed To Ill
5. Check Your Head
6. To The 5 Boroughs
7. The Mix Up
8. Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2

Last edited:
Cross-Post belongs here:

1. Amorica
2. Three Snakes and One Charm
3. The Lost Crowes
4. Southern Harmony & Musical Companion
5. Freak N' Roll Into the Fog
6. Shake Your $ Maker
7. By Your Side
8. Live at the Greek
10. Before the Frost...After the Freeze
11. Warpaint Live
12. Wiser for the Time
11. Live
12. Warpaint
14. Croweology
15. Lions

I was wondering if anyone did this. This is tough - first three switches around depending on when you ask me. All 3 are front to back albums for me. Even Licensed to Ill is front to back. I like most of the songs on Check Your Head - but rarely listen to as a whole. To the 5 Boroughs has some good songs but not F2B. I like a few songs on The Mix Up but it's a bit boring and I have to be honest I never got into hot sauce committee pt 2.

1. Ill Communication
2. Hello Nasty
3. Paul’s Boutique
4. Licensed To Ill
5. Check Your Head
6. To The 5 Boroughs
7. The Mix Up

On the Hot Sauce Committee, you need to bring it back on repeat.
Maybe it will hit you with a little of the funky da oh-ah-oh-ah.

1. Ill Communication
2. Hello Nasty
3. Paul’s Boutique
4. Licensed To Ill
5. Check Your Head
6. To The 5 Boroughs
7. The Mix Up
Ok I’ll play. I’ve never heard The Mix Up, so it will not be included.

1. Paul’s Boutique
2. Check Your Head
3. Hello Nasty
4. Licensed To Ill
5. Ill Communication
6. 5 Boroughs
7. Hot Sauce (need to listen again)

1. Paul’s Boutique
2. Check Your Head
3. Hello Nasty
4. Licensed To Ill
5. Ill Communication
6. 5 Boroughs
1. Ill Communication
2. Hello Nasty
3. Paul’s Boutique
4. Check Your Head
5. Licensed To Ill
6. Root Down
7. Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2
8. To The 5 Boroughs
9. Some Old Bull Shit
10. The Mix Up

1. Ill Communication
2. Hello Nasty
3. Paul’s Boutique
4. Check Your Head
5. Licensed To Ill
6. Root Down
8. To The 5 Boroughs
9. Some Old Bull Shit
10. The Mix Up
Yeah okay.

01. Check Your Head
02. Paul's Boutique
03. Hello Nasty
04. Ill Communication
05. Licensed To Ill
06. To The 5 Boroughs
07. Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2
08. The Mix Up

1. Ill Communication
2. Hello Nasty
3. Paul’s Boutique
4. Check Your Head
5. Licensed To Ill
6. Root Down
8. To The 5 Boroughs
9. Some Old Bull Shit
10. The Mix Up

1. Ill Communication
  2. Paul’s Boutique
  3. The In Sound from Way Out!
  4. Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2
  5. Check Your Head
  6. Hello Nasty
  7. Licensed To Ill
  8. Root Down
  9. To The 5 Boroughs
  10. Scientists of Sound (The Blow Up Factor Vol. 1)
  11. An Exciting Evening at Home with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego
  12. The Mix-Up
  13. Some Old Bull Shit
  14. Aglio e Olio

1. Ill Communication
  2. Paul’s Boutique
  3. The In Sound from Way Out!
  4. Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2
  5. Check Your Head
  6. Hello Nasty
  7. Licensed To Ill
  8. Root Down
  9. To The 5 Boroughs
  10. Scientists of Sound (The Blow Up Factor Vol. 1)
  11. An Exciting Evening at Home with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego
  12. The Mix-Up
  13. Some Old Bull Shit
  14. Aglio e Olio
I knew I forget something. The In Sound from Way Out is a great album!

1. Paul’s Boutique
2. Check Your Head
3. Hello Nasty
4. Licensed To Ill
5. Ill Communication
6. 5 Boroughs
I think this is close enough to what I'd come up with, including also not having heard The Mix Up.

Back