Rank The Albums!

It's really an underrated catalog. I feel like a lot of pop stars in the 2000s era really got away with phoning it in on some albums, but her earlier stuff still holds up -- especially with the reggae influence.

I think Loud and GGGB have the better individual cuts but Anti works better as a cohesive album.
Completely agree. Every album seems to hold its own incredibly well. I first bought the box in 2016 but its only been the past couple of years where we have been listening to them properly and we constantly seem to be saying how strong each album is.

they're christian pop-rock, so a bit niche.

Having been. Roughy up in a strict Catholic environment I would have imagined that the band name would alienate a huge proportion of thier potential fan base?

Having been. Roughy up in a strict Catholic environment I would have imagined that the band name would alienate a huge proportion of thier potential fan base?

I'm pretty sure it's from a verse in Ecclesiates, but I might be wrong

This is the kinda thing a googling would benefit from. But alas, I’ve come up empty except for this gem:

Reactions: cbl
Plowing through the Rihanna boxset and here's where I'm at:

1. Loud
2. Anti
3. Good Girl Gone Bad
4. Talk that Talk
5. A Girl Like Me
6. Rated R
7. Unapologetic
8. Music of the Sun

I could switch out those top 3 in any order depending on how I'm feeling.

anti is a clear frontrunner for me and then the next two would definitely, like you, be relatively interchangeable

rihanna: anti > good girl gone bad > loud > a girl like me > rated r > talk that talk > unapologetic > music of the sun

Fair enough. I try to forget both any contents of the Bible and the fime I had to read from the book of Ecclesiates, and thus pronounce it, at a wedding.

This is the kinda thing a googling would benefit from. But alas, I’ve come up empty except for this gem:

I love the internet

The Beach Boys Ranked
I love The Beach Boys. Most that have only done a surface level exploration as opposed to a deep dive know many of their hits and the critically lauded masterpiece, Pet Sounds. Some are aware of the lost classic that was the SMiLE album but there is lots of fantastic music that doesn’t receive the acclaim that it deserves. After Pet Sounds and the Scrapping of SMiLE, Brian receded to the background and the other members took charge of the band moving forward and they released a few more really good to great albums throughout the 1970s. Unfortunately, Mike Love realized that The Beach Boys made more money as a nostalgia act appealing to aging post-war Boomers than pursuing artistic creativity. This lead many to wrongly assume that the band had little to offer outside of their early hits.

Anyways, without further ado, my Beach Boys albums ranked...

01.) Pet Sounds
02.) SMiLE
03.) Surf’s Up
04.) Sunflower
05.) Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
06.) Wild Honey
07.) Today!
08.) Smiley Smile
09.) Holland
10.) All Summer Long
11.) Friends
12.) 20/20
13.) Surfer Girl
14.) Love You
15.) In Concert
16.) The Beach Boys Christmas Album
17.) Little Deuce Coupe
18.) Carl & The Passions “So Tough”
19.) Beach Boys Party!
20.) Surfin’ U.S.A.
21.) The Shutdown, Vol. 2
22.) Surfin’ Safari
23.) That’s Why God Made The Radio
24.) 15 Big Ones
25.) L.A. (Light Album)
26.) M.I.U. Album
27.) Stack-o-Tracks

*Anything outside of these albums is udder dreck and best not discussed.

*Honorable Mentions*
Some Unofficial Releases, Compilations, and Solo Albums that are probably better than the bottom half of the ranked releases listed above

Beach Boy - Endless Summer
a compilation of most of the great songs from the early pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys albums, this is a much better album than most of the early Beach Boys records that were produced as fast as possible and basically set up as “singles delivery devices” as opposed to actual well considered albums.

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
The best Beach Boys solo album by the black sheep of the Wilson clan

Brian Wilson - SMiLE
Prior to the release of The SMiLE Sessions, this was the first official release of this album. Unfortunately, it was a reworking and re-recording of the album. It’s not bad, and some prefer it to the original (I am not one of those people)

The Beach Boys - Landlocked
SMiLE wasn’t the only album The Beach Boys scrapped, prior to releasing Sunflower The Beach Boys scrapped a couple albums worth of music, some of the songs would show up in different forms on later releases but the unofficial release of Landlocked is worth tracking down.

Dennis Wilson - Bambu
Dennis attempted to follow up Pacific Ocean Blue but never completed it prior to his drowning death. Thankfully if was later pieced together into another fantastic album.

Last edited:
The Beach Boys Ranked
I love The Beach Boys. Most that have only done a surface level exploration as opposed to a deep dive know many of their hits and the critically lauded masterpiece, Pet Sounds. Some are aware of the lost classic that was the SMiLE album but there is lots of fantastic music that doesn’t receive the acclaim that it deserves. After Pet Sounds and the Scrapping of SMiLE, Brian receded to the background and the other members took charge of the band moving forward and they released a few more really good to great albums throughout the 1970s. Unfortunately, Mike Love realized that The Beach Boys made more money as a nostalgia act appealing to aging post-war Boomers than pursuing artistic creativity. This lead to many to wrongly assume that the band had little to offer outside of their early hits.

01.) Pet Sounds
02.) SMiLE
03.) Surf’s Up
04.) Sunflower
06.) Wild Honey
07.) Today!
08.) Smiley Smile
09.) Holland
10.) All Summer Long
11.) Friends
12.) 20/20
13.) Surfer Girl
14.) Love You
15.) In Concert
17.) Little Deuce Coupe
19.) Beach Boys Party!
20.) Surfin’ U.S.A.
22.) Surfin’ Safari
24.) 15 Big Ones
25.) L.A. (Light Album)
26.) M.I.U. Album
27.) Stack-o-Tracks

*Honorable Mentions*
Some Unofficial Releases, Compilations, and Solo Albums that are probably better than the bottom half of the ranked releases listed above

a compilation of most of the great songs from the early pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys albums, this is a much better album than most of the early Beach Boys records that were produced as fast as possible and basically set up as “singles delivery devices” as opposed to actual well considered albums.

Brian Wilson - SMiLE
Prior to the release of The SMiLE Sessions, this was the first official release of this album. Unfortunately, it was a reworking and re-recording of the album. It’s not bad, and some prefer it to the original (I am not one of those people)

SMiLE wasn’t the only album The Beach Boys scrapped, prior to releasing Sunflower The Beach Boys scrapped a couple albums worth of music, some of the songs would show up in different forms on later releases but the unofficial release of Landlocked is worth tracking down.

Dennis Wilson - Bambu
Dennis attempted to follow up Pacific Ocean Blue but never completed it prior to his drowning death. Thankfully if was later pieced together into another fantastic album.
Those first 9 on your list are all 🔥...I'd bump Friends up into there somewhere too

upon thorough re-visiting

1. Boxer
2. I Am Easy to Find
3. Alligator
4. Sleep Well Beast
5. Trouble Will Find Me
6. High Violet
Return to the Moon
7. The National
8. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers
Serpentine Prison

The Beach Boys Ranked
I love The Beach Boys. Most that have only done a surface level exploration as opposed to a deep dive know many of their hits and the critically lauded masterpiece, Pet Sounds. Some are aware of the lost classic that was the SMiLE album but there is lots of fantastic music that doesn’t receive the acclaim that it deserves. After Pet Sounds and the Scrapping of SMiLE, Brian receded to the background and the other members took charge of the band moving forward and they released a few more really good to great albums throughout the 1970s. Unfortunately, Mike Love realized that The Beach Boys made more money as a nostalgia act appealing to aging post-war Boomers than pursuing artistic creativity. This lead to many to wrongly assume that the band had little to offer outside of their early hits.

01.) Pet Sounds
02.) SMiLE
03.) Surf’s Up
04.) Sunflower
06.) Wild Honey
07.) Today!
08.) Smiley Smile
09.) Holland
10.) All Summer Long
11.) Friends
12.) 20/20
13.) Surfer Girl
14.) Love You
15.) In Concert
17.) Little Deuce Coupe
19.) Beach Boys Party!
20.) Surfin’ U.S.A.
22.) Surfin’ Safari
24.) 15 Big Ones
25.) L.A. (Light Album)
26.) M.I.U. Album
27.) Stack-o-Tracks

*Honorable Mentions*

Brian Wilson - SMiLE

Dennis Wilson - Bambu
Excellent list, and yoeman's work. And agreed that Pacific Ocean Blue is incredible

upon thorough re-visiting

1. Boxer
2. I Am Easy to Find
3. Alligator
4. Sleep Well Beast
5. Trouble Will Find Me
6. High Violet
Return to the Moon
7. The National
8. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers
Serpentine Prison
Here’s how I feel today:

1. Boxer
2. Trouble Will Find Me
3. Alligator
4. Sleep Well Beast
5. High Violet
6. I Am Easy To Find [it has been growing on me immensely lately, but I can't put it above anything above just yet]
7. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers
8. The National

The National EPs and Side Projects

1. Cherry Tree
2. Serpentine Prison
3. The Virginia EP
4. Return To The Moon
5. Big Red Machine
6. Royal Green
7. LNZNDRF II
8. LNZNDRF

Back