Rank The Albums!

King Crimson:

Islands
> Starless and Bible Black > Three of a Perfect Pair > In The Court of the Crimson King > Red > Larks Tongue In Aspic > Discipline > Lizard > Thrak > Beat

Dudes got me *into* music when I heard ITCOTCK for the first time.
Islands through Red are pretty close in enjoyment for me. If I had to pick a live album it'd definitely be Absent Lovers.
I really need to get my shit together and give Islands some time. Ridiculously it's their album I know the least. Otherwise I mostly vibe with this list, though its been a fair few years since I've listened to a few of these.

I really dont think I could definitively do this, but is anyone able to rank Tom Wait's albums? It would be interesting to see how other people rate his music.

This obviously changes pretty frequently, although the top few are generally cemented. For today anyway, I'll play:

Tom Waits

01. Small Change
02. Bone Machine
03. Frank's Wild Years
04. Mule Variations
05. Swordfishtrombones
06. Real Gone
07. Blood Money
08. Blue Valentine
09. Glitter And Doom Live
10. Closing Time
11. Rain Dogs
12. The Early Years
13. Alice
14. Nighthawks At The Diner
15. Heartattack And Vine
16. The Heart Of Saturday Night
17. Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards
18. One From The Heart
19. The Black Rider
20. The Early Years Vol. 2
21. Big Time
22. Night On Earth
23. Foreign Affairs
24. Bad As Me

Drive-By Truckers

01. The Dirty South
02. Brighter Than Creation's Dark
03. Decoration Day
04. Pizza Deliverance
05. Southern Rock Opera
06. Gangstabilly
07. American Band
08. Go-Go Boots
09. The Unravelling
10. English Oceans
11. A Blessing And A Curse
12. The New OK
13. The Big To-Do

Drive-By Truckers

01. The Dirty South
02. Brighter Than Creation's Dark
03. Decoration Day
04. Pizza Deliverance
05. Southern Rock Opera
06. Gangstabilly
07. American Band
08. Go-Go Boots
09. The Unravelling
10. English Oceans
11. A Blessing And A Curse
12. The New OK
13. The Big To-Do
1. Southern Rock Opera
2. Decoration Day
3. The Dirty South
4. Brighter Than Creation's Dark
5. American Band
6. English Oceans
7. The Big To-Do
8. The Unraveling
9. Pizza Deliverance
10. A Blessing And A Curse
11. Go Go Boots
12. The New OK
13. Gangstabilly

1. Southern Rock Opera
2. Decoration Day
3. The Dirty South
4. Brighter Than Creation's Dark
5. American Band
6. English Oceans
7. The Big To-Do
8. The Unraveling
9. Pizza Deliverance
10. A Blessing And A Curse
11. Go Go Boots
12. The New OK
13. Gangstabilly

1. Southern Rock Opera
2. Decoration Day
3. The Dirty South
4. The Big To-Do
5. Brighter Than Creation's Dark
6. A Blessing And A Curse
7. American Band
8. Go Go Boots
9. English Oceans
10. Pizza Deliverance
11. The Unraveling
12. The New OK
13. Gangstabilly

Belle and Sebastian

Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Tigermilk
Write About Love
If You’re Feeling Sinister
Push Barman To Open Old Wounds
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant
The Life Pursuit
Storytelling
Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
Days Of The Bagnold Summer
How To Solve Our Human Problems 1-3

Belle and Sebastian

Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Tigermilk
Write About Love
If You’re Feeling Sinister
Push Barman To Open Old Wounds
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant
The Life Pursuit
Storytelling
Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
Days Of The Bagnold Summer
How To Solve Our Human Problems 1-3
Interesting!

I'd probably go

1. If You’re Feeling Sinister
  2. Tigermilk
  3. The Boy With The Arab Strap
  4. The Life Pursuit
  5. Dear Catastrophe Waitress
  6. Write About Love
  7. God Help The Girl
  8. Push Barman To Open Old Wounds
  9. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant
  10. The Third Eye Centre
  11. Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
  12. Storytelling
  13. How To Solve Our Human Problems 1-3
I've honestly listened to How to Solve Our Human Problems probably only once but I did not really care for it. I have not listened to to their soundtrack to that film either.

I'm a Lateralus > Salival > Ænima > Undertow > Fear Inoculum > 10,000 Days > Opiate kinda guy myself.

I’m not much of a Tool fan anymore, which is why I was so surprised about how much I enjoyed Fear Inoculum when it came out. As of today I’d rank them something like this:
  1. Fear Inoculum
  2. Lateralus
  3. Ænima
  4. 10,000 Days
  5. Opiate
  6. Undertow
  2. Tigermilk
  4. The Life Pursuit
  6. Write About Love
  7. God Help The Girl
  10. The Third Eye Centre
  12. Storytelling
I've honestly listened to How to Solve Our Human Problems probably only once but I did not really care for it. I have not listened to to their soundtrack to that film either.

Belle & Sebastian is my favorite band, so I feel more qualified to discuss them than Tool!

I’m leaving the compilations (Push Barman... and Third Eye Centre), live albums, soundtracks, and EPs out of the ranking because they’re their own thing. I like HTSOHP 1-3 alright but if we’re ranking EPs then we have to dig into the seven that make up Push Barman..., which would be madness (and incidentally something I’d be happy to do).

So, this is my ranking of studio albums only (I do love them all):
  1. Dear Catastrophe Waitress
  2. The Life Pursuit
  3. If You’re Feeling Sinister
  4. Tigermilk
  5. Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
  6. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant
  7. The Boy With The Arab Strap
  8. Write About Love

Belle & Sebastian is my favorite band, so I feel more qualified to discuss them than Tool!

I’m leaving the compilations (Push Barman... and Third Eye Centre), live albums, soundtracks, and EPs out of the ranking because they’re their own thing. I like HTSOHP 1-3 alright but if we’re ranking EPs then we have to dig into the seven that make up Push Barman..., which would be madness (and incidentally something I’d be happy to do).

So, this is my ranking of studio albums only (I do love them all):
  1. Dear Catastrophe Waitress
  2. The Life Pursuit
  3. If You’re Feeling Sinister
  4. Tigermilk
  5. Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
  6. Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant
  7. The Boy With The Arab Strap
  8. Write About Love
That's a decent ranking. DCW was the very first B&S album I really liked so it holds a special place for me. In my list there's not a big drop off until God Help The Girl. I've never been able to get into Fold Your Hands for some reason. But now that I'm talking about it, I'll give it another listen today.

That's a decent ranking. DCW was the very first B&S album I really liked so it holds a special place for me. In my list there's not a big drop off until God Help The Girl. I've never been able to get into Fold Your Hands for some reason. But now that I'm talking about it, I'll give it another listen today.

The "drop off" on my list comes after my #4 (the top 4 are some of my top 50 all-time favorite albums; the bottom 4 may or may not make my top-10 cut for their respective release years).

Fold Your Hands... was a perennial least-favorite for me until I watched it performed live in its entirety a couple of years ago. Needless to say that experience led to a serious reevaluation. Other than "Chalet Lines" (which has its merits but is ultimately a drab tune), I don't think there are no real duds on that album (though, I much prefer the far more energetic live version of "Beyond the Sunrise" from their recent live album). It's a moody affair for sure, and it closes strongly with "There's Too Much Love" (I'm a sucker for albums that feature great closing tracks... it's no coincidence that DCW is my #1, given that "Stay Loose" is my favorite B&S song).

As for Push Barman... (which you ranked after your "drop off"), I consider it both essential and inconsistent. It's essential because it contains some of their best work (I couldn't make a playlist of B&S favorite without songs like "String Bean Jean," "Legal Man," "I'm Waking Up to Us," or "Le Pastie de la Bourgeoisie"), but some of the EPs that compose it are much stronger than others. That's why I eventually opted to get the boxset with the individual EPs on vinyl, and just hold on to my Push Barman... on 2-CD. If I had to add Push Barman... to my ranking, I'd place it right in the middle (#5, just ahead of Girls in Peacetime... which is great album, by the way! I love its opening 1-2-3 punch). OK, I'll stop myself now.

The "drop off" on my list comes after my #4 (the top 4 are some of my top 50 all-time favorite albums; the bottom 4 may or may not make my top-10 cut for their respective release years).

Fold Your Hands... was a perennial least-favorite for me until I watched it performed live in its entirety a couple of years ago. Needless to say that experience led to a serious reevaluation. Other than "Chalet Lines" (which has its merits but is ultimately a drab tune), I don't think there are no real duds on that album (though, I much prefer the far more energetic live version of "Beyond the Sunrise" from their recent live album). It's a moody affair for sure, and it closes strongly with "There's Too Much Love" (I'm a sucker for albums that feature great closing tracks... it's no coincidence that DCW is my #1, given that "Stay Loose" is my favorite B&S song).

As for Push Barman... (which you ranked after your "drop off"), I consider it both essential and inconsistent. It's essential because it contains some of their best work (I couldn't make a playlist of B&S favorite without songs like "String Bean Jean," "Legal Man," "I'm Waking Up to Us," or "Le Pastie de la Bourgeoisie"), but some of the EPs that compose it are much stronger than others. That's why I eventually opted to get the boxset with the individual EPs on vinyl, and just hold on to my Push Barman... on 2-CD. If I had to add Push Barman... to my ranking, I'd place it right in the middle (#5, just ahead of Girls in Peacetime... which is great album, by the way! I love its opening 1-2-3 punch). OK, I'll stop myself now.
I'm listening to Fold Your Hands atm and I remember why I didn't like this one that much. I think it does have some duds *ducks* and it doesn't flow as well as the 3 before it IMO. Also I get thrown a little when Stevie sings. There's some absolute gems on it, "I Fought in a War", "The Model", "Nice Day For a Sulk" (I realize this one feels like filler, but I've always liked it), and of course "Women's Realm" which is a god-tier B&S song.

I ranked Push Barman lower for that reason. I didn't have the patience for a lot of it when I was first getting into B&S like 10-12 years ago. It feels like a compilation. There's some good tunes but inconsistent. Had I known the songs on there from their respective EPs and listened to them first individually I may think differently of it. When I have a hankering for B&S I don't reach for that one often.

Interesting!

I'd probably go

2. Tigermilk
  4. The Life Pursuit
  6. Write About Love
  7. God Help The Girl
  10. The Third Eye Centre
  12. Storytelling
This is aImost dead on to my list. I would move Dear Catastrophe Waitress up to 3 and Push Barman To Open Old Wounds to 6 but outside of that I would leave everything else about the same.

Black Pumas
  1. Black Pumas S/T
  2. Black Pumas S/T
  3. Black Pumas S/T
  4. Black Pumas S/T
  5. Black Pumas S/T
  6. Black Pumas S/T
  7. Black Pumas S/T
  8. Black Pumas S/T
  9. Black Pumas S/T
  10. Black Pumas S/T
  11. Black Pumas S/T
  12. Black Pumas S/T
  13. Black Pumas S/T
  14. Black Pumas S/T
  15. Black Pumas S/T
  16. Black Pumas S/T
  17. Black Pumas S/T
  18. Black Pumas S/T
  19. Black Pumas S/T
  20. Black Pumas S/T

Black Pumas
  1. Black Pumas S/T
  2. Black Pumas S/T
  3. Black Pumas S/T
  4. Black Pumas S/T
  5. Black Pumas S/T
  6. Black Pumas S/T
  7. Black Pumas S/T
  8. Black Pumas S/T
  9. Black Pumas S/T
  10. Black Pumas S/T
  11. Black Pumas S/T
  12. Black Pumas S/T
  13. Black Pumas S/T
  14. Black Pumas S/T
  15. Black Pumas S/T
  16. Black Pumas S/T
  17. Black Pumas S/T
  18. Black Pumas S/T
  19. Black Pumas S/T
  20. Black Pumas S/T
Specify which colors, please

AC/DC

From a US perspective, excluding live albums and soundtracks but including extended plays
  1. Highway to Hell
  2. Powerage
  3. Back in Black
  4. High Voltage
  5. Power Up
  6. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
  7. The Razor's Edge
  8. '74 Jailbreak
  9. Let There Be Rock
  10. Stiff Upper Lip
  11. For Those About to Rock
  12. Black Ice