Rank The Albums!

Lol I saw Shout at Knott’s Berry Farm. Their hair was HUGE. I did order the Balance of Power reissue, yeah. While I wasn’t a huge fan of it at the time (Branded was their best, IMO), I am excited to listen to it with fresh ears.

If you’re an LSU fan, Kickstarter is also doing The Grape Prophet.

I saw that. I’m passing on that one. Chagall Gueverra is also doing a live release. As an elementary school kid, I listened to Steve Taylor...but I’m passing on that release as well.

Edit: Its still in pre-order if anyone reading is interested

Last edited:
01. Daydream Nation*
02. Goo*
03. Sister+
04. EVOL+
05. Dirty*
06. Murray Street*
07. Washing Machine+
08. Sonic Nurse*
09. Experimental Jet Set+
10. Bad Moon Rising+
11. Rather Ripped*
12. The Eternal
13. A Thousand Leaves
14 NYC Ghosts and Flowers
15 Sonic Youth
16 Whitey Album
17 Confusion Is Sex
*have
+want

I was surprised to see Blur's "Leisure" ranked so low by most. While the record doesn't have any mega immense songs, I think it has a throughout very good quality. I can listen to that album again and again and again. It belongs in the top half of albums they've done in my opinion. Was "Leisure" or "Moderm life" a commercial success in the UK/Ireland by the way? Not that it plays a role, I just wonder. I've got to know them around "Parklife" and the first CD I bought from them was "The great escape" (maybe that's also why I rank that album higher than many) and discovered their earlier ones later.

Regarding Oasis' "Standing on the shoulder of giants" I think it's a lot better than most think. I first didn't like it that much too and of course it's worse than all their previous records. But I think it's not worse than most of their later ones except "Don't believe the truth". I really like songs like "Go let it out", "Who feels love", "Sunday morning call", "Gas panic" and "I can see a liar". Of course it's all subjective.

I was surprised to see Blur's "Leisure" ranked so low by most. While the record doesn't have any mega immense songs, I think it has a throughout very good quality. I can listen to that album again and again and again. It belongs in the top half of albums they've done in my opinion. Was "Leisure" or "Moderm life" a commercial success in the UK/Ireland by the way? Not that it plays a role, I just wonder. I've got to know them around "Parklife" and the first CD I bought from them was "The great escape" (maybe that's also why I rank that album higher than many) and discovered their earlier ones later.

Regarding Oasis' "Standing on the shoulder of giants" I think it's a lot better than most think. I first didn't like it that much too and of course it's worse than all their previous records. But I think it's not worse than most of their later ones except "Don't believe the truth". I really like songs like "Go let it out", "Who feels love", "Sunday morning call", "Gas panic" and "I can see a liar". Of course it's all subjective.

Honestly I see Leisure completely the opposite way to you lol! It’s a couple of really good singles on a very average album. I see it similarly to Radiohead’s Pablo Honey, it shows glimpses of what was to come but overall it’s a picture of a nascent act that hasn’t yet unlocked what it was that would make them who they are.

I just hate everything about Shoulder, from fhe misquote of Isaac Newton for the title (seriously, just the one shoulder Noel?) to the terrible attempt at Beatles psychedelia (Who Feels Love) to cringe at Little James, to the soporific funeral paced duo of Sunday Morning Call and Where Did It All Go Wrong? and ending with the even more cringeworthy duo of I Can See A Liar (oh my got the lyrics and the music) and Roll It Over. Fuckin’ In The Bushes is good, Go Let It Out is ok and Gas Panic isn’t shit, that’s as close to praise as it deserves and I’m being charitable there.

The Smiths

“Strangeways, Here We Come”
The Queen Is Dead
Meat Is Murder
The Smiths

Completely agree with this ranking. 🍻

Talking about them, here's my ranking of Morrissey albums. I have to add I only got to know Morrissey in 2006 at times of the "Ringleader" album and I first did know Morrissey and only later discovered The Smiths.

Morrissey

1. You are the Quarry
2. Ringleader of the tormentors
3. Vauxhal and I
4. Your arsenal
5. Years of refusal
6. Southpaw grammar
7. World peace is none of your business
8. Maladjusted
9. I am not a dog on a chain
10. Low in high school
11. Viva hate
12. California sun
13. Kill Uncle

Completely agree with this ranking. 🍻

Talking about them, here's my ranking of Morrissey albums. I have to add I only got to know Morrissey in 2006 at times of the "Ringleader" album and I first did know Morrissey and only later discovered The Smiths.

Morrissey

1. You are the Quarry
2. Ringleader of the tormentors
3. Vauxhal and I
4. Your arsenal
5. Years of refusal
6. Southpaw grammar
7. World peace is none of your business
8. Maladjusted
9. I am not a dog on a chain
10. Low in high school
11. Viva hate
12. California sun
13. Kill Uncle

Viva Hate in 11 😵😵😵😵😵

That’s a hotter take than liking Shoulder over here 😂😂😂

Viva Hate in 11 😵😵😵😵😵

That’s a hotter take than liking Shoulder over here 😂😂😂

I think "Viva hate" has 2 absolutely amazing songs which of course are "Everyday is like Sunday" and "Suedehead". The rest seems very average to me compared to the many other great songs Morrissey has done. And then I don't like the very questionable "Bengali in platforms" that's on this album.

I think "Viva hate" has 2 absolutely amazing songs which of course are "Everyday is like Sunday" and "Suedehead". The rest seems very average to me compared to the many other great songs Morrissey has done. And then I don't like the very questionable "Bengali in platforms" that's on this album.

Yeah given who he’s become Bengali is hugely questionable but Viva is my favourite solo Morrissey, by quite a distance actually, I think it’s really strong and Vini Reilly’s guitar on it is exceptional, especially on the album highlight, over here, Late Night, Maudlin Street.

Yeah given who he’s become Bengali is hugely questionable but Viva is my favourite solo Morrissey, by quite a distance actually, I think it’s really strong and Vini Reilly’s guitar on it is exceptional, especially on the album highlight, over here, Late Night, Maudlin Street.

That song is pretty good, I agree on that. Talking in general, maybe it also plays a role at which release we get to know an artist and start to dive into his/their music. I guess if people have known The Smiths first or followed Morrissey's solo career starting with his first record, they often may have another perspective as someone just getting to know about him in 2006.

That song is pretty good, I agree on that. Talking in general, maybe it also plays a role at which release we get to know an artist and start to dive into his/their music. I guess if people have known The Smiths first or followed Morrissey's solo career starting with his first record, they often may have another perspective as someone just getting to know about him in 2006.

Maybe, that said I got into the smiths, beyond just singles, at uni in 2001 and moz solo after Quarry came out in 2004. I was only 4 when The Smiths split in 87 and 5 when Viva Hate came out 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wasn’t going to rank Sonic Youth but after seeing A Thousand Leaves so criminally low on others’ lists... As with my Bowie list, I’m only ranking the top 10:

1. Daydream Nation
2. Murray Street
3. A Thousand Leaves
4. Goo
5. Sister
6. Rather Ripped
7. Dirty
8. EVOL
9. Washing Machine
10. Experimental Jet Set

I must admit that over the past 10 years or so I haven’t really had the ears for SY. They were one of my favorites when I was in college and I still have 10+ of their CDs, but now when I look at their discography I see more duds than I remember.

All that said, I wonder how EVOL sounds on vinyl... the CD mastering is awful but I can see the cavernous production actually being a feature with some tinkering.

Last edited:
Okay I'll bite on these two bands

Sonic Youth
  1. Daydream Nation
  2. EVOL
  3. Sister
  4. Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
  5. Goo
  6. Bad Moon Rising
  7. Washing Machine
  8. Rather Ripped
  9. Confusion is Sex
  10. The Eternal
  11. Dirty
  12. Sonic Nurse*
  13. A Thousand Leaves*
  14. Murray Street*
  15. NYC Ghosts & Flowers*
*the bottom 4 I've maybe listened to each 5 times at the most so I'm not the best judge for those albums, admittedly

Blur
  1. Modern Life is Rubbish
  2. Parklife
  3. 13
  4. The Great Escape
  5. Blur
  6. Leisure
  7. The Magic Whip
  8. Think Tank

U2
1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. Zooropa
5. War
6. Boy
7. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
8. Rattle & Hum
9. No Line On the Horizon
10. October
11. Pop
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. Songs of Innocence
14. Songs of Experience

Other than Achtung...I did not care for 90's U2
U2
1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. War
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. October (Gloria is vastly under appreciated, IMO)
6. Boy
7. Rattle & Hum
8. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
9. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
10. No Line On the Horizon
11. Zooropa
12. Pop
13. Songs of Innocence
14. Songs of Experience

The Smiths

“Strangeways, Here We Come”
The Queen Is Dead
Meat Is Murder
The Smiths

This is exactly my ranking.
I always wished the tracklist started with "I started..." and then went to "A Rush..." but side A of Strageways is almost perfect.

Honestly I see Leisure completely the opposite way to you lol! It’s a couple of really good singles on a very average album. I see it similarly to Radiohead’s Pablo Honey, it shows glimpses of what was to come but overall it’s a picture of a nascent act that hasn’t yet unlocked what it was that would make them who they are.

I just hate everything about Shoulder, from fhe misquote of Isaac Newton for the title (seriously, just the one shoulder Noel?) to the terrible attempt at Beatles psychedelia (Who Feels Love) to cringe at Little James, to the soporific funeral paced duo of Sunday Morning Call and Where Did It All Go Wrong? and ending with the even more cringeworthy duo of I Can See A Liar (oh my got the lyrics and the music) and Roll It Over. Fuckin’ In The Bushes is good, Go Let It Out is ok and Gas Panic isn’t shit, that’s as close to praise as it deserves and I’m being charitable there.

I ranked Leisure last but I quite like it. It is a band who haven’t quite figured themselves out yet and those baggy influences remain. I don’t think there is a mediocre Blur album. It does remind me a bit of Pablo Honey just swapping grunge for baggy. I think I may be the only person on this board who doesn’t think PH is the worst Radiohead album.

I ranked Leisure last but I quite like it. It is a band who haven’t quite figured themselves out yet and those baggy influences remain. I don’t think there is a mediocre Blur album. It does remind me a bit of Pablo Honey just swapping grunge for baggy. I think I may be the only person on this board who doesn’t think PH is the worst Radiohead album.

Well I don’t I think it’s the second worst but then I have a pretty intense hatred for side A and B of King of Limbs and also haven’t got over the anticlimax of it even 9 years on. Side C & D was ok I suppose.

Back