Pre-Order Thread

That’s a hot take?

Lol, I saw a new Black Keys record got announced and knew what kind of snobby ribbing to expect and yet I still checked this thread... at a certain point, I guess it's kind of on me.

For what it's worth, Electrophonic Chronic was my nominee for the title of the most slept-on album of last year and further proof to me that Dan Auerbach turns in much better work these days when he's not trying to write for the Black Keys. I'm not surprised that it slipped under the radar for a lot of people, mostly because Dan himself didn't really promote it that much and it came out all the way back in January, but I would suggest to anyone who has felt burnt out by Dan's more formulaic output with the Keys to check it out, as in my estimation it's the best thing he's been attached to in a hot minute (and I say that as someone who didn't even dislike that last Black Keys record).

Lol, I saw a new Black Keys record got announced and knew what kind of snobby ribbing to expect and yet I still checked this thread... at a certain point, I guess it's kind of on me.

For what it's worth, Electrophonic Chronic was my nominee for the title of the most slept-on album of last year and further proof to me that Dan Auerbach turns in much better work these days when he's not trying to write for the Black Keys. I'm not surprised that it slipped under the radar for a lot of people, mostly because Dan himself didn't really promote it that much and it came out all the way back in January, but I would suggest to anyone who has felt burnt out by Dan's more formulaic output with the Keys to check it out, as in my estimation it's the best thing he's been attached to in a hot minute (and I say that as someone who didn't even dislike that last Black Keys record).
I liked it too, but I also haven't actively disliked any of the Keys records even if I haven't taken in love with what they've put out recently as much as their early output.

Oh, I'm way too much of a loser to be a snob!

I liked it too, but I also haven't actively disliked any of the Keys records even if I haven't taken in love with what they've put out recently as much as their early output.
Honestly, the vitriol they get kind of confounds me, as even at their worst, I think they tend to be more average than actively bad (which you could argue is worse, I guess, but that's a debate for another day). I think it's partially the Weezer effect at play where the fanbase they initially cultivated is so outwardly disgusted by their plays toward the mainstream that they refuse to even acknowledge anything that happened after a certain point. Personally, I find the mentality of "everything after X album is bad" to be a horribly close-minded way of looking at things, so statements like "they haven't made anything worthwhile since Rubber Factory or El Camino!" just ring a bit hollow for me. I'm fine with someone having that opinion, but I think there's some good stuff to be found on all their albums if you take the time to look.

Don’t usually post the Third Man Vaults here but the new preorder is up for Elvis 45s reissue package. Not really my favorite thing. But, apparently 3rd man is giving one lucky Vault Member OG pressings to boot. I would definitely take that upgrade.

“…Beyond that, ONE lucky customer will receive a package that contains original 1950s pressings of ALL FIVE Elvis Presley singles on Sun. Sought after by collectors for decades, these records’ value align more with precious metals than molded plastic. A true golden-ticket opportunity…..”

Last edited:
snobby ribbing
Is not enjoying the Black Keys snobby though?

Sure, I was eating blinis topped with the finest beluga caviar and crème fraiche and washing it down with an expertly chilled flute of 2013 Bell Èpoque Brut while typing my gentle jab but that’s not snobby that’s just being a civilized man of leisure.

IMG_1037.jpeg

Already posted this b4 but they added a few more copies to the preorder and just sent out an updated photo of the package. Looking good.

On BandCamp:

Is not enjoying the Black Keys snobby though?
I don't think it's so much people not enjoying them as it is the implication that the Black Keys have outlived their usefulness, that nobody needs that much Black Keys in their life in 2024 or comments of that nature. Your actual enjoyment of their music is up to personal preference and I get why someone might see them as bland, sell-outs, etc., but the entire point of this specific thread is to provide updates on new releases, so why do they get singled out?

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to see the posting of a pre-order be responded to with the mocking of the artist in question. I don't want to make it seem like I'm jumping on the grenade for the Keys, because as someone who actually will make a case for some of their post-2010s work, they are definitely guilty of coasting to a degree, but it doesn't seem to me like the same kind of lambasting would fly if it were directed at an artist that the general forum had a higher opinion of.

It is also possible that seeing so much of the discussion around media in the past couple of years take on such a snarky & sardonic tone has made me an overly defensive softie and that nothing is really that serious.
I mean, it's not that different from talking about the Black Pumas being a joke because of the volume of variants they sell. It took me a while to not sort of get stung by that one. There are other artists that get picked on too. Hell, @Twentytwo and I were talking shit about Thad Cockerel just last night.

Honestly, the vitriol they get kind of confounds me, as even at their worst, I think they tend to be more average than actively bad (which you could argue is worse, I guess, but that's a debate for another day). I think it's partially the Weezer effect at play where the fanbase they initially cultivated is so outwardly disgusted by their plays toward the mainstream that they refuse to even acknowledge anything that happened after a certain point. Personally, I find the mentality of "everything after X album is bad" to be a horribly close-minded way of looking at things, so statements like "they haven't made anything worthwhile since Rubber Factory or El Camino!" just ring a bit hollow for me. I'm fine with someone having that opinion, but I think there's some good stuff to be found on all their albums if you take the time to look.

Last edited:
...but it doesn't seem to me like the same kind of lambasting would fly if it were directed at an artist that the general forum had a higher opinion of.

Challenge accepted!

I find it hilariously ironic that they're working with Beck, a musician whose closest connection to the blues was over 20y ago writing an album that was, to put it kindly, either a sad hipster take on Prince or a pale imitation of soul music

(Never thought much of him & once inadvertently blew up a first date by sharing a similar take about MV sometime in the mid- to late-00s, after which she declared he was her all-time favorite musician)

Back