Pre-Order Thread

I...am, how can I say, really incredibly surprised to see anyone write those words in that order.

Lindlehof is a terrible, terrible hack, IMO. Like, he's responsible for all the things that I hated about LOST, and that I also hated about Prometheus.
I was frustrated by Lost but loved The Leftovers and Watchmen and think Prometheus is unfairly maligned. If they’d given Ridley Scott the third film and didn’t undercut his vision I think it would have been more well received. I would probably enjoy those movies as much as the original. The biggest issue I have with Prometheus/Alien: Covenant was they are so dense that I had to look up stuff on the internet for me to fully wrap my head around what they were attempting convey,

I am very excited for this. This is the album that cost Blast First their UK record deal with Sonic Youth. They released this live album before clearing it with the band.
I have a 2nd (un-numbered) press of Walls Have Ears, and a few more on the NOT label - Big Black, Butthole Surfers, and Head of David.

418467264318:500.webp

There's a black one on Amazon, so will probably be everywhere. I already hit buy on this one so quick, but the only price difference is shipping @$5, so not bad!

You'll have to expand on the what qualifies him as a hack. I'm sure there are people who would claim the same about Abrams.

I also enjoyed the Watchmen series. Saw Prometheus in theaters, found it serviceable for later era Ridley Scott. Star Trek reboot and sequels were solid. I'm not a purist though and to say you're surprised that someone may feel this way likely says more about you than me.
I loved the Watchmen series and had few complaints about it. I was shocked to learn Lindelhof was involved.

I also consider Abrams a hack TBH. One look at all the fucking lensglare in Star Trek movies and you can tell he's got the self control of a toddler. He thinks lensflare gives you a sense of futuristic hope and mystery, so he just put it everywhere. (He's said this.) He put lensflare on interior shots.

Lindelhof's a shitty writer who has gotten the idea in his head that "not telling something" is the same as "creating a mystery". He's the epitome of the kid who didn't read the book and tries to bullshit his way through the book report and when you don't immediately call him on his bullshit, assumes He Am Very Smart.

The way audiences complained about LOST not appearing to have a thought-out plot and how the writers appeared to be making stuff up as they went along? That's Lindelhof. He's said "yeah we didn't know where it was going, we were making it up as it went along." That whole thing where Hurley was still fat after three months on the island and someone made a twitter post about it and it was funny for a week online.....and then the writers heard about it and added the food cache/drop to the story? Classic Lindelhof.

The thing in Prometheus where they travel across the fucking universe without knowing why they're going or where they're going or why they specifically had been chosen, and why the fuck would anyone do that? That was explained in the original script. Weyland purposedly offered contracts with no information available in order to keep the plan to himself; contracts without info get more money paid, so those guys were supposed to be desperate enough to take a flier on a high-risk/low-info/high-reward mission. Ridley Scott brought in Lindelhof (or was made to by the studio,) and Lindelhof intentionally took that part of the script out "to add mystery". Except: it doesn't add mystery, it makes them look like fucking morons.

I'm excerpting from this cracked.com article:

Prometheus was just one or two rewrites away from greatness -- but not in the direction you think. An earlier draft by John Spaihts called Alien: Engineers was in fact a straight Alien prequel that, yes, took place on the same planet and could easily have been one of the best movies in the series (or at least something that wouldn't have made audiences want to reach into the screen, grab each character by the shoulders, and violently shake them until they stopped being stupid).

This script completely removes or explains all the weird character decisions and plot holes, opting instead for badass one-liners ("I brought it in. I took it out"). Engineers has a new take on the chest-burster scene that's even more intense than the one Prometheus gave us: Instead of getting a cesarean section, the original draft had that medical pod repairing Watt's chest as a xenomorph burst out of it. We also would've seen new types of xenomorphs, including a gray human-alien hybrid -- except, ya know, better than the one we saw in Alien: Resurrection.

Weirdly enough, it also explains virtually every plot hole in the version we saw. Why does the crew not know what their job is? Because classified jobs pay more and Peter Weyland is worried about corporate espionage. What's the black goo? A bioweapon originally intended for Earth. Why does the Engineer throw a temper tantrum when people wake him up? Because he has a xenomorph in his belly and is awaiting medical care -- our heroes have effectively doomed both him and the planet. Why did David the Android turn evil? Because he goes nuts and starts seeing the Engineers as gods worthy of worship.

So what happened? Well, they brought in Damon Lindelof (the guy who wrote Lost) and, shockingly, suddenly the plot took on the same random and nonsensical nature of the seasons of Lost he wrote. Lindelof convinced director Ridley Scott that the movie didn't need to be an Alien prequel at all, that audiences wouldn't care about that. So instead they'd just make the aliens look pretty much like the xenomorphs everyone knows and loves and do a "search and replace" in the script, switching out the names of the planets. After all, there's nothing audiences love more than being utterly confused by random plot elements that seem to have been slapped together on the fly, right?

Last edited:
I loved the Watchmen series and had few complaints about it. I was shocked to learn Lindelhof was involved.

I also consider Abrams a hack TBH. One look at all the fucking lensglare in Star Trek movies and you can tell he's got the self control of a toddler. He thinks lensflare gives you a sense of futuristic hope and mystery, so he just put it everywhere. (He's said this.) He put lensflare on interior shots.

Lindelhof's a shitty writer who has gotten the idea in his head that "not telling something" is the same as "creating a mystery". He's the epitome of the kid who didn't read the book and tries to bullshit his way through the book report and when you don't immediately call him on his bullshit, assumes He Am Very Smart.

The way audiences complained about LOST not appearing to have a thought-out plot and how the writers appeared to be making stuff up as they went along? That's Lindelhof. He's said "yeah we didn't know where it was going, we were making it up as it went along." That whole thing where Hurley was still fat after three months on the island and someone made a twitter post about it and it was funny for a week online.....and then the writers heard about it and added the food cache/drop to the story? Classic Lindelhof.

The thing in Prometheus where they travel across the fucking universe without knowing why they're going or where they're going or why they specifically had been chosen, and why the fuck would anyone do that? That was explained in the original script. Weyland purposedly offered contracts with no information available in order to keep the plan to himself; contracts without info get more money paid, so those guys were supposed to be desperate enough to take a flier on a high-risk/low-info/high-reward mission. Ridley Scott brought in Lindelhof (or was made to by the studio,) and Lindelhof intentionally took that part of the script out "to add mystery". Except: it doesn't add mystery, it makes them look like fucking morons.

Thanks for explaining. I can definitely see Abrams stylistic directing choices being distracting and unnecessary, which is why I was confused that he got tapped for both Star Trek and Star Wars. We saw how the latter went. I'll still take Lindelhof's lack of explanations over Abrams pseudo-flair.

As confounding as The Leftovers was, I did like that they actually gave concise answers at the end unlike Lost. Maybe he learned his lesson.

With all that said, none of what I've seen from Abrams or Lindelhof makes me angry or spiteful for sitting through it. Even MTV horndog classic Undressed.

Would be interested to read that whole article, but the link does not work

I...am, how can I say, really incredibly surprised to see anyone write those words in that order.

Lindlehof is a terrible, terrible hack, IMO. Like, he's responsible for all the things that I hated about LOST, and that I also hated about Prometheus.

Well, opinions are free, so at least you didn't pay for this take.

Agree with all of that except that I purposely haven't watched most projects he's been involved with as a writer* until I get a sense of whether or not I'll be disappointed by the result. Also agreed that Watchmen was surprisingly a great watch.

*e.g., he was only a producer on the 2009 Star Trek reboot but was a credited writer on Into Darkness; not awful but def not as good

Agree with all of that except that I purposely haven't watched most projects he's been involved with as a writer* until I get a sense of whether or not I'll be disappointed by the result. Also agreed that Watchmen was surprisingly a great watch.

*e.g., he was only a producer on the 2009 Star Trek reboot but was a credited writer on Into Darkness; not awful but def not as good
The Leftovers and Watchmen are top tier for me.

I loved LOST until I didn’t but I can stomach the ending. The whole series could do with an edit and it would be incredible.

This was a nerdy highlight at the Disney 100 exhibit we went to earlier this year:
IMG_6128.jpeg

Back