Pre-Order Thread

Last edited:
This is something new. Anybody familiar with KiT format. Looks like someone trying to appeal to the desire to own physical music media while also allowing for the convenience of digital music on the go. Still not sure fully how it works (Bluetooth? Does the device have to be turned on to play the album?). The video says it’s popular in South Korea. $34 is a bit pricey but it’s kind of intriguing from a novelty standpoint.

Turntable Lab looks to be doing a 2nd edition of the Stones Throw Box from a few years back. Their version of Madvillainy is excellent.

Last edited:
No he wasn't. If you watch the PJ20 doc there's an entire section about Kurt talking shit about PJ and its members for being too establishment, too main stream.

He did write Pro Choice on his arm during Unplugged, and as lead singer of the band that filed an anti trust complaint against TM he was very visible. But to say that Vedder at that point even had a modicum of Kurt's antiestablishment feelings is more of a rewrite of history. Heck, PJ never saw themselves as grunge, they just got included since they were from Seattle.

Anyway, PJ20 is a fantastic time capsule, and I recommend it to anyone with any interest in seeing it at all.

All you have to do is look at the dissolution of Green River to understand goals, direction, or priorities. The future Pearl Jam guys wanted to be rock stars and there was a major conflict when they filled the guest list spots with the names of label reps/industry folks (most of which didn't show up) during an LA show and pissed off the members who couldn't use them for their friends. Primarily, Mark Arm wasn't trying to be a major label rock star, so they split ways and Arm rejoined Steve Turner to form Mudhoney. Turner had left as the original Green River guitarist because he thought that, stylistically, Gossard and Ament were leaning too corporate metal for his tastes. He was replaced by Bruce Fairweather at that time

I actually know Bruce from Green River/Mother Love Bone. He originally moved out to Seattle from Montana with Jeff Ament and they had a band called something like Deranged Diction. I know he eventually played in Love Battery at some point, but after Andrew Wood died, he was pretty shook and mostly backed away from all of it. I initially met him because he made furniture with my brother-in-law for years. I once threw my back out trying to lift a grill at my niece's 5th birthday party that was held at his little cabin on Vashon Island. Nice humble guy. I'll randomly see him at shows or bump into him at Pickathon or something, over the years.

Around 2009, I saw a Green River reunion at the Showbox in Seattle. The show was crazy, because the opener was "Melvins 1983" which was supposed to be the original Melvins lineup with drummer Mike Dillard, except Dale Crover filled in on bass, because there was no way Matt Lukin (later also of Mudhoney) was going to crawl out of his cave to do it. Then, headlining the show was the then-current Melvins playing Houdini in its entirety (R.I.P. to Houdini covet artist/art legend Frank Kozik, who just died on Saturday). Green River played in the between those sets and had all 3 guitarists (Bruce, Stone Gossard, and Steve Turner) playing together for the first time. It was fascinating to watch, because you could see the separate factions in action. Arm controlled the stage with his patented Stooges-esque frontman chaos while Turner soundly did what he does, but Ament and Gossard were roaming the stage doing rockstar moves; Gossard standing on the drum riser "Alive" video style, etc. They'd repeatedly go up to each other to rock face to face guitar to guitar. They'd kind of gesture to Bruce to come do shit like that, which he would casually ablige, but he looked somewhat out of place; not musically, but like he'd been making furniture for the last 25 years.

The PJ guys have always had a different vibe and sound and aim. Green River sounded surprisingly great, though. They've all gotten better over the years and it translated into their sound, because honestly, I always viewed them more as historically significant than as an actually good band.

With all that said, Mccready and Gossard have always come across as nice sincere guys. I know people who know Vedder and I only hear nice things. They don't act like cocky douchie rock stars to people but their level of success wasn't by accident.

Last edited:
Back