Pre-Order Thread

Fun ā€œFading Trailsā€ story. My car has those little elastic net storage things on the backs of the front seats. I stuck the cd case to FT in there god knows how long ago and forgot about it.

Until my ex realized weā€™d been driving around with her (older, ridiculous, conservative) parents in the backseat with that cover staring down her mom for like an entire weekend, at which point my ex lost her mind because apparently her mother has never seen nudity before? I dunno. Thereā€™s a reason sheā€™s my ex.

Molina is one of my all-time favorites, and Iā€™m sure some shitbird is going to come in and crap all over it because thatā€™s what shitbirds do. Buying all of it could be a lengthy and expensive endeavor. But that said, I think Songs:Ohiaā€™s ā€œMagnolia Electric Co.ā€ at a minimum probably belongs in a lot of peopleā€™s collection, then go from there.
Farewell Transmission is an all-timer, and as someone mentioned earlier the overlap of Neil Young is on display here in the best way possible

Also goes without saying that Molinaā€™s story is just as tragic as Elliott Smithā€™s

The box is very cool, and I'm tempted. But if you're really new to Molina, you should know that the box is sort of a deluxe version of the album Fading Trails. That album has 9 of the 33 tracks in this box set. Of course the cover art of Fading Trails may be a little problematic if you've got a significant other or kids around. Or maybe I'm just a middle-aged prude at this point. But the box featuring woodburned art would definitely go over a little better in my house.
My copy of Fading Trails is one of the shittiest sounding records I own. I know SC will eventually get around to repressing it but my god does that thing sound awful. At least I only paid something like $8 for it new.

dWNlOEC6ozHJKxAynsdBkPsdu6DvaRwLzyEuxHTL_PJDsDg2EE3KGIvLpEcYX8NAGmQ0nOfahOXVisjJ5bGhuyIBUmxeATdRBzIqYgyMtSPi6pMSo7GsakJGN15tK7gHUwsN2_FnMrPigV9QPHSzSXE0Zbhayw=s0-d-e1-ft

Still patiently waiting for his 70s albums to get reissued.

dWNlOEC6ozHJKxAynsdBkPsdu6DvaRwLzyEuxHTL_PJDsDg2EE3KGIvLpEcYX8NAGmQ0nOfahOXVisjJ5bGhuyIBUmxeATdRBzIqYgyMtSPi6pMSo7GsakJGN15tK7gHUwsN2_FnMrPigV9QPHSzSXE0Zbhayw=s0-d-e1-ft

Still patiently waiting for his 70s albums to get reissued.
Speaking of mixing people up, when I see Billy Joe I think "Billie Joe" and if you hadn't mentioned the 70s just now I would have gone about my day thinking that the Green Day guy is old enough to have a kid with his own solo career.

Edit: oh my god he IS old enough to have a kid with his own solo career.

Just to give everyone a common point of reference that we will all understand, Green Day Guy is only 13 years younger than Bill Watterson.

My copy of Fading Trails is one of the shittiest sounding records I own. I know SC will eventually get around to repressing it but my god does that thing sound awful. At least I only paid something like $8 for it new.
My wallet lives in fear of a full Molina box set.

Farewell Transmission is an all-timer, and as someone mentioned earlier the overlap of Neil Young is on display here in the best way possible

Also goes without saying that Molinaā€™s story is just as tragic as Elliott Smithā€™s

In addition to every Molina version of Farewell Transmission, Glen Hansard's cover of Farewell Transmission is also pretty great.
In fact, the EP of Molina's songs he did is worth a listen too.

In addition to every Molina version of Farewell Transmission, Glen Hansard's cover of Farewell Transmission is also pretty great.
In fact, the EP of Molina's songs he did is worth a listen too.

I got to see Glen perform Hold on Magnolia in 2015. He took a few minutes to talk about Molina and got pretty verklempt. That was actually the first time I heard his name.

Good to know! I never got around to buying the LP . . . (that cover!), but now I probably won't. Or at least I'll wait until there's a better quality reissue.

I don't know if there are any other die hard Hayden fans around here, but I'm really excited for this one. It's also available as a premium LP for $36 and it comes with a signed lyric sheet, etc, limited to 500...
Screenshot_2023-02-28-13-27-37-72_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Tim Showalter from Strand of Oaks was touring with the band as Goshen Electric Co. Would love for that to make it around my area. He's got a great song on his album Heal called JM that's so good.

I agree that Songs: Ohia's Magnolia Electric Co. is probably the best place to start with Molina. I always liked the lie album Trials & Errors a lot, too--serious Neil Young vibes. And I'd probably rank Fading Trails as my third favorite album, though all of the earlier Songs: Ohia stuff is great. My only minor complaint would be that those albums could sound a little "samey" at times.

I saw Magnolia Electric Co. at a weeknight show at the Black Cat (in DC) that I almost skipped back in 2005. Destroyer (who was giving off serious Dylan vibes at the time) opened. It was amazing. Definitley one of my most memorable shows. Seeing a couple of younger artists recalling some of the greats but still offering up something new play in front of a half-full room was something I didn't fully appreciate at the time, but now I can't imagine having an opportunity like that again.

Sad I missed all of the Molina talk. Easily one of my top five artists. Glad I saw him as much as I did when I could. Saw one of the Songs:Molina shows here where they got the band that did Magnolia Electric Co together along with the last Magnolia Electric Company band and had guest singers. Everyone cried. Good times.

Back