Pre-Order Thread

1644594994015.png

View attachment 128470

Dang I love this album and am glad it’s getting another press. Wasn’t this part of a numero club and they said it would never be pressed again or did I make that up? Either way I’ve had that version in my wantlist and it’s always hovered in the 100+ range.

1644596786872.png

I guess I don’t relate to the concept of “settling” for black vinyl. Especially if it was one of my favorite albums, which makes it unlikely I’d ever want to sell/trade it in.
Well since its Friday and I don't want to do any work and since you asked:

I have AFTP on Cassette, CD and a digital copy - I don't need a copy of this on vinyl.
I want it but I don't NEED it.

Quite frankly, I don't NEED any vinyl by even my most favorite artist.
The mere fact I can afford to participate in this hobby speaks to how crazy fortunate I am in comparison to the average person.

Being very conscious of the fact that every time I throw $20+ dollars at something so weirdly bourgeois and twee as a vinyl record - and because I can listen to Binky the Doormat in the round on three other separate mediums - I'm not going to grab a copy just to have a copy on vinyl.

If I'm going to throw money that could (should?) be going to my sons' college fund or something of actual and real value - there's going to be some very careful curation before I just hand it over the cash.

Now, lets do a thought exercise: Say I buy the black vinyl reissue, just to have it. One day, I'm going to walk into the record store and an OG/1st Press is going to be on the wall. Its AFTP - I cant just let that just hang there - that has to come home with me. (I know how stupid that is - but at least I can recognize my own pathology). So, knowing that is what is going to happen - I'm not settling for something lesser.

My preference is to exercise some self restraint and patience in favor of carefully curating my collection.

Now, I'm also a realist (and maybe a little bit of a nihilist if I'm being honest) and I know that the OG copy is likely to never fall into my lap - so the next best thing (in my curation model) is a great sounding limited edition pressing. For that reason I try to acquire the most limited colored pressings.

But that's me.
I like a challenge and am too painfully aware of how ridiculous this hobby really is when I put a critical eye on it.
But I'm also the guy that (aside from pre-orders) doesn't: buy on-line, from big box retailers or Amazon.
I buy from the artist, independent record stores, in store and make the occasional PIF acquisition (shout out to the best thread going).

I know that places a significant degree of difficulty on putting together a seriously quality collection of vinyl - but that kind of the point for me.

That's why I'm being snobby - since you asked.

P.S. That and because I'm still butt-hurt that I got F'd on pre-order by Stipe and Co. ;)

1644597854519.png

Anyone able to comment on the new Big Thief wax? Seems like pretty widespread distortion issues from comments on Discogs and other reviews. Supposed to arrive today for me.
I'd also like to know what is exclusive about the 'indie exclusive' -- seems shops don't even know.

Back