Pre-Order Thread

1580844667995.png

1580844686254.png

1580844841006.png

Definitive anthology of Memphis Modern Soul Scene * Compiled by Daniel Mathis and Chad Weekley * Liner notes by Memphis curator/writer Andria Lisle and Grammy Award-winning writer Robert Gordon * Unseen archive photos/ephemera * Vinyl housed in a gatefold jacket with 24 page full color book * CD with 40 page full color book * Digital mockups are not an exact representation of colors * Available on black and Galaxy Haze Orange/Red colored vinyl (limited to 500 copies)
Memphis has always been a studio town, where making hit records looked easy. An unknown Elvis could walk into Sun Studios and cut a side, while Willie Mitchell worked his magic around the corner at the Hi Records studio. This vast studio ecosystem meant that even when Stax Records folded in 1975, everybody still knew somebody who could get them into a real recording facility. The city?s largest player in the business was gone, but the possibilities that it introduced were not. _Stone Crush_ is the definitive overview of Memphis? modern soul scene of the post-Stax years. It?s a collection of funky tracks of hope?from dentist O.T. Sykes, who traded dental work for studio time, to the ad-man who moonlighted as the visionary mastermind behind Captain Fantastic & Starfleet, few of them ever had anything to do with a hit, but across the board, each believed. Like Cato Walker, whose father?s gig as B.B. King?s driver got him an in, and The Bar-Kays? former costume maker Libra, some had tangential connections to the city?s deep-rooted music scene that gave them a head start on their hopeful path to fame. Over a decade in the making, _Stone Crush_ is an expertly curated compilation of these home-grown slices of Memphis stylings, from roller skate boogie to private press soul to bedroom funk?rare sides whose original copies are considered holy grails by DJs and collectors all over. This collection does more than transport us to a time gone by. It helps us hear what couldn?t be heard then.

GrouchyMelodicIsabellinewheatear-max-1mb.gif

SPICEWORLD IS BEING RELEASED ON BLACK VINYL ON MARCH!!!!!!
Everybody should spice up their lives and preorder it.

They're also reissuing Spice's Greatest Hits on black vinyl, preorder here (in case if you haven't bought the picture disc).

I really can't explain to you how excited I am.

Now Up at Bullmoose too

Some big African reissues coming up. Top of the shop is a true Holy Grail - K Frimpong released two of my favourite ever albums but this may be even more special. Only seen one decent copy of it sold and it went for €1000!

Other ones worth checking out:

Ogyatanaa Band - Yerefrefre
Great highlife record. Not so sure about this label and how legit it is though OGYATANAA SHOW BAND African Fire: Yerefrefre vinyl at Juno Records.

Leve Leve
A compilation from Sao Tome & Principe VARIOUS Leve Leve: Sao Tome & Principe Sound 70s 80s vinyl at Juno Records.

Orchestre Baobab - Mohammadou Bamba
Possibly my favourite African album ever ORCHESTRA BAOBAB Mouhamadou Bamba (reissue) vinyl at Juno Records.

Franco & OK Jazz - La Rumba de Mi Vida
A compilation of one of the Gods of African music FRANCO/L ORCHESTRE O.K. JAZZ La Rumba De Mi Vida vinyl at Juno Records.

Last edited:
Electronic, Glitch, Shoegaze fans, here is an unmissable record:

Sweet Trip - Velocity : Design : Comfort
For all of you European folks that were still debating on getting this record but were holding back because of the shipping costs:
I've talked Rough Trade into helping us out. :love:

After putting out an EP at the end of last year, Låpsley is set to release her sophomore Album on March 20th.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys Collector's Edition

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys Collector's Edition
Haven't bought from udiscover yet, any reason not to shop there?

Back