Pre-Order Thread

…and yet here we are. After a decade plus of purchasing “RSD Exclusives” I’ve learned to take even the best labels/artists with a grain of salt when they make declarative statements like this. I usually operate under the assumption that it’s better for more people to have the opportunity to purchase music than less but I could understand feeling a bit bamboozled by this when the label is using it to stoke FOMO.
Totally agree. To be clear I’m happy it got repressed because ive wanted it for a long time and honestly didn’t think it would because of that club.

I should not have streamed this. I really, really, really like this album:

Description from website:
Ship to Shore PhonoCo. is proud to present the critically acclaimed jazzy hip-hop album Komfort Food on limited edition vinyl and cassette!

Originally released in early 2021 on the Cream Dream label by producers Bird Peterson & Boom Baptist, Komfort Food is packed with tantalising J Dilla beats and stuffed with creamy jazz samples, featuring a sweet instrumental trip-hop glaze and topped with a professional hand-piped production, all prepared by master hip-hop craftsmen Boom Baptist, Elaquent and Juicy The Emissary.

The vinyl edition features a die cut jacket with cellophane window motif, mimicking an actual box of donuts — this is one box of treats you will not be able to resist!
Nice!

I knew I wasn’t crazy

Yeah, I signed up for it and got all the records (12 for a flat fee of $250, shipping included). While I was taking a chance, both on the quality of each record and possibly not being able to get any of them on the secondary market, I sorta had a feeling that at least a few would end up getting re-pressed down the line. It also makes sense with the obscene money the initial re-presses are going for now.

At the same time, I was a little surprised the re-presses have been done by Numero and also going in on colored vinyl. 94 East's The Cookhouse 5 was on gold vinyl last year & Pastor T.L. Barrett on silver vinyl a couple years back.

Nice!

Boom Baptist has some solid, fun projects. I still spin this one quite a bit... BOOMSHAKALAKA! 🏀

Still waiting on that Joe Bob repress from Shiptoshore and if Komfort Food is still in stock when it happens i'll probably grab that as well! I'm a massive Dilla fan so i've been streaming the digital version the last year and really liking it.

Always searching for good new music; very rare that something grabs me like this. Also not often that I buy an album on the basis of one song, but this might have to be an exception.

Good stuff. She’s gotta a great voice and I love the slow build. I would wanna hear more before I gab the vinyl but it’s a real solid track. Thanks for the heads up!

Good stuff. She’s gotta a great voice and I love the slow build. I would wanna hear more before I gab the vinyl but it’s a real solid track. Thanks for the heads up!
Found this podcast where they perform four songs. They cite Gillian Welch, Elliott Smith, Jason Molina, and Aldous Harding as inspirations for their music. That tracks. (They cover a Songs: Ohia song on the podcast.)

Always searching for good new music; very rare that something grabs me like this. Also not often that I buy an album on the basis of one song, but this might have to be an exception.

Thanks for making me aware of this band! Fantastic song, and they are local for me, so might need to hit up their show in early April.

I'd also like to know what is exclusive about the 'indie exclusive' -- seems shops don't even know.
To answer my own question re: Big Thief, the eco friendly is the indie variant. I’d also place this pressing under “sounds decent enough to own” but wouldn’t pay more than 25 for it.

To answer my own question re: Big Thief, the eco friendly is the indie variant. I’d also place this pressing under “sounds decent enough to own” but wouldn’t pay more than 25 for it.
Looking over the varied pressings it looks like the “eco friendly” description is getting a bad rap. From what I’ve seen, all it appears to be is the leftover vinyl pellets from other colored pressings. Both my copies are pretty dark they have a dark blue green wavey color but it doesn’t pick up very well on photo. I have seen others where they have been tan or pink. So it looks like “recycled” in this case more means left over than anything else. I think if they had said it was “random” colored people wouldn’t be so itchy about it.

My copy sounds fine. I think it has some minor issue that has plagued GZ but overall it isn’t anything that I find annoying or would deter me from spinning the record. Like you I think it’s worthwhile for retail but if in like 6 month after the indie exclusive is OOP, it’s not gonna be worth the flipper rate.

Last edited:
Found this podcast where they perform four songs. They cite Gillian Welch, Elliott Smith, Jason Molina, and Aldous Harding as inspirations for their music. That tracks. (They cover a Songs: Ohia song on the podcast.)

Always great to support a new band. And as a bonus an interesting Podcast to check out. Scrolled down the 2021 episode list and didn’t recognize a single band. :). Going to give it a listen.

Looking over the varied pressings it looks like the “eco friendly” description is getting a bad rap. From what I’ve seen, all it appears to be is the leftover vinyl pellets from other colored pressings. Both my copies are pretty dark they have a dark blue green wavey color but it doesn’t pick up very well on photo. I have seen others where they have been tan or pink. So it looks like “recycled” in this case more means left over than anything else. I think if they had said it was “random” colored people wouldn’t be so itchy about it.
Agreed. When people see recycled they think found in a dumpster. This is definitely left over pellets of unattractive colors. Mine is dookie brown and kind of a marbled gray.

I love the aesthetic here. TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS!!!
HIs first single Shine was all over the radio here back in 2017 and I saw him live 3 times during that period (really good), but he kind of dropped off the map after that. I have that first album, but completely missed the release of the 2nd album in 2020 apparently and now this is the 3rd. Just some good old fashioned alt rock.

Back