Pre-Order Thread

I now live at the cross streets of Cheapest Ave and One that Looks the Coolest Blvd. Long gone are the days of getting hung up on all the variants.
Same. but there doesn't seem to be any logic behind it. Like why does one have 200 and another 300? Every retailer seems to want a piece of the pie.
Here you go, @wokeupnew

Hatchie - Giving The World Away

...and it's going to be a Society record of the month.
Looks like Secretly is the cheapest. It's $1 cheaper than bandcamp.

Same. but there doesn't seem to be any logic behind it. Like why does one have 200 and another 300? Every retailer seems to want a piece of the pie.
Guessing they give them a choice up to a certain allotment and color. Unfortunately it's not a pie anymore, just a bunch of blended slop. The pros of this is I actually enjoy going to the record store blind nowadays. There's always a good chance I'll find some random variant of a record I wanted 6 months ago but forgot about. Then it becomes a nice surprise to look it up on discogs and see how many were pressed etc.

View attachment 125574

I don't listen to this band, but if I did I would have no idea what to do if I just wanted a single copy. This "every retailer gets an exclusive!" is getting out of hand. 😵
You should most definitely give them a listen @wokeupnew and if u love them u can bundle their old LPs thru Run For Cover!!!

1642607281915.png

I don't listen to this band, but if I did I would have no idea what to do if I just wanted a single copy. This "every retailer gets an exclusive!" is getting out of hand. 😵
But at least they're letting you know up-front what's going to be out there and who you can order it from. Better than dropping one of them and acting like it's an all-or-nothing affair. If you wanted just a single copy, wouldn't you just pick one and order?

I now live at the cross streets of Cheapest Ave and One that Looks the Coolest Blvd. Long gone are the days of getting hung up on all the variants.

I'm still in the "Which Is the Most Limited Variant I Can Get My Hands On" high rise over on Insufferable Vinyl Collector Blvd.

I need to move.

I'm still in the "Which Is the Most Limited Variant I Can Get My Hands On" high rise over on Insufferable Vinyl Collector Blvd.

I need to move.
I gravitate towards anything that is signed. I do a cost benefit analysis regarding limited variants. If it's an artist I love, I'll probably spring for the limited variant. But if it's an artist that I'm taking a flyer on, I usually go with Target because I can get 5% off and free shipping with my card.

I gravitate towards anything that is signed. I do a cost benefit analysis regarding limited variants. If it's an artist I love, I'll probably spring for the limited variant. But if it's an artist that I'm taking a flyer on, I usually go with Target because I can get 5% off and free shipping with my card.
My first stop is ALWAYS the bands' website to support them directly.

I just won't buy Target or Walmart variants.
I'd rather get a simple black vinyl pressing from my local record store than buy my vinyl from a big box retailer.

But Again - I need to transition away from my current snobbery.

Unless it’s an artist I love and I buy it direct from them I just pre order the available one to pick up in my local record store. They’re awesome.

But at least they're letting you know up-front what's going to be out there and who you can order it from. Better than dropping one of them and acting like it's an all-or-nothing affair. If you wanted just a single copy, wouldn't you just pick one and order?
I suppose. I guess my annoyance is if everything is limited then nothing is limited. Normally If it's financially and logically feasible I try and get the most limited version of a record. A realistic pressing would be regular retail black, maybe a band webstore exclusive limited and then an indie exclusive. Not 7+ pressings of a record. I get annoyed with Deathwish or Relapse Records where they just press a ridiculous number of variants. I would get overwhelmed with choice and don't know what to get.

You should listen to this band.

Here's a couple bangers:

oooo I like this

I guess my annoyance is if everything is limited then nothing is limited.
I agree with @Joe Mac about this--let it happen! But again, while I understand your frustration, I think it's great that Camp Cope aren't promoting FOMO by dropping one of these at a time. The less 'limited' they are, the easier it should be.

The Camp Cope and Hatchie songs are both great, looking forward to trying Girlpool too.

For pre-orders, unless there's some tangible reason to choose a variant that I like (signed, bonus material, great color), I'll usually just wait until it's out to see if I like it and then get what's left really. Like the Lorde Deluxe Edition had the 7" + Poster + Signature, that was worth finding to me. Lucy Dacus had a deluxe with a lyrics book and some had a note (in retrospect I would have preferred to pay less and get one of the other colorways but it's pretty). I think the limited pressings really lose a lot of value when there's eight options with limited numbers, since most buyers don't really seem to be finicky on getting a particular variant in these spots. 8 versions with a LE# count of 250 each may as well be a LE of 2000 for most buyers, which IMO is great. It makes the buying decision a lot easier as you can generally go for what works best for you. I'm increasingly convinced that hunting out a specific variant on pressing number isn't worth the effort especially as it's no guarantee the lowest print will be the most valuable.

This may differ a bit with obsessive fan bases who need every variant of Punisher for instance. Not naming that fanbase of course.. If you have an obsessive fan base I generally think if you find one you like, hit the buy button and avoid the FOMO.

1642616871202.png

Back